Best Lossy Format?
Sep 26, 2009 at 5:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 57

JohntheChristian

New Head-Fier
Hi, I'm not really what you'd call an audiophile, but I wanted your opinion on something.

I am backing up some of my favorite cds with .FLAC encoding, because some day with the advancement of technology the difference could be more clear to us normies. However Most of my music remains lossy, because quite frankly I cannot hear enough difference to justify the large Lossless size files.

In your opinion, what is the best Lossy Format?

Sep 26, 2009 at 5:58 PM Post #3 of 57
I know AAC is somewhat better audio quality even at the same MP3 bitrate, however you are tied into a somewhat proprietary codec. Its a good choice for ipod/ itunes users who are comfortable they will stay with that line for awhile.

Sep 26, 2009 at 6:51 PM Post #6 of 57
Quote:

however you are tied into a somewhat proprietary codec

MP3 is proprietary also.
I also suggest AAC, this is the new and very improved (since 1991) version of MP3; and, from what i know, this is the widest supported lossy codec except for MP3 (and maybe WMA, but i doubt that; and i believe that WMA also produces a lower quality than AAC does).

Sep 26, 2009 at 7:10 PM Post #8 of 57
Imo the "best" lossy format is AAC. Because:
* Its efficiency (sound quality to bitrate ratio) is among the best.
* It is compatible with most portable media players.
* It is widely supported among computer applications.

Sep 26, 2009 at 7:39 PM Post #9 of 57
With those criteria, I think you meant "mp3 v0" instead of AAC.

Cowon doesn't do AAC
biggrin.gif

Sep 26, 2009 at 10:47 PM Post #11 of 57
I think OGG is better, AAC and WMA 320Kbps are good.........

Sep 26, 2009 at 11:34 PM Post #12 of 57
I'll take ogg over mp3 every time. It's too bad that it's not a more widely used codec. It can sound much better than mp3 IMO.

Sep 27, 2009 at 1:47 AM Post #14 of 57
@ the OP: The "best", as you can see, depends on a lot of factors. The main one being compatibility.

It's generally understood that more modern lossy codecs like Vorbis / WMA / AAC are superior to MP3, mainly in SQ vs. file size. But, since MP3 is the defacto standard on all DAP's, it's the best choice if you use different vendors for your players.

I personally went back to using Vorbis, as all my current players support it and the smaller file size allows me to travel with more songs than if I used MP3.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back