Best live recordings
Aug 22, 2014 at 9:05 PM Post #91 of 98
Also a great pint Mark. All the albums or CD's that I've enjoyed listening to are from the german ECM label as well as the blue note reissues. Older columbia recordings of the mahavishnu orchestra, though the musicianship is fantastic, the recording is like I said so so. With all the recent DAPs that have come out that represents great recordings, I tend to just put the old mahavishnu recordings aside. Wish HD tracks could reissue them in a higher bitrate format. But then, lets enjoy the music . Mark thanks for your input.

You're more than welcome.

I guess I'm somewhat biased though since I do a fair bit of live recording. I know it sounds a bit cliche` but I, like, pretty much every recording engineer that I know, sweat every detail when it's possible to do so. I think if you were to ask most recording engineers, they would admit that a mix is pretty much never finished, but simply abandoned. That is, it's so easy to get caught up in trying to reveal every last sonic detail - sometimes this pays dividends, and other times, it does not.

Incidentally. if you want to check out my live recordings, you can peruse this or other threads on headfi and find tracks to download on the web (either on soundcloud, or archive.org). Again though, if anyone reading this chooses to check out some of my tracks on soundcloud (query immersifi), please, please, please download them rather than using the site's streaming player - it absolutely destroys fidelity, and anyway, if you don't like what you hear, you can always delete the downloads. Some are available in both flac and 320 kbps mp3, but all are available at least as 320 kbps mp3 downloads.

You make a good point about the 'credibility' of certain labels; Pretty much anything on the TELARC label for me is a sign that, if I am even remotely interested in the artist, I should pick up the CD because I know the recordings themselves will be exemplary.

Happy Listening.

Mark (immersifi recording services)

Aug 22, 2014 at 9:13 PM Post #92 of 98
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/One_Night_at_Budokan

So i pick up this MSG vinyl at a used record store. Ironically I was with my little Brother who I found out about UFO from.
I could not believe how nice this recording is! It beats the legendary live UFO hands down! This recording is perfect though hard to find. Just goes to show that the cream does not always rise to the top when live albums are concerned.

Turns out that this album is regarded as one of the best live recordings ever made.

Dec 16, 2014 at 4:17 PM Post #93 of 98
If you like live vocal and piano, check this out:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/223165/legally-download-able-binaural-recordings-links/225#post_11134849

Enjoy

Mar 24, 2015 at 4:07 PM Post #94 of 98
Full-Concert in HD Video + Binaural Audio

Sumkali, wsg Parag Ray, Live at The Ark, Ann Arbor, MI., USA:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICj6Tx0DL1I

The intro (the title and credits sequence) is not in binaural, but the show is. Also, there is a link within this video to a very brief primer where I do a brief demo using a Neumann KU 100 mannequin head microphone.

Note: I am pretty sure that I have posted links to excerpts from this concert, but this is to the whole show...plus...in the primer, you'll hear the audio toggle between the mono lavalier microphone under my jacket lapel, and the mics in the KU 100 mannequin head - at that point in the primer, the video also switches to the perspective of the mannequin head camera (we put a go-pro on top of it to help make the demo).

Happy listening (and viewing)

Apr 4, 2015 at 5:06 AM Post #96 of 98
I know someone said it, but I'll say it again: Portishead - Roseland NYC.  Absolutely fantastic use of an orchestra.  Many times when rock/pop bands try to use one live, it just sounds like a gimmick to me.  This time, it worked (partially because much of this music they played was composed with an orchestra from the start).  There are even times where they don't use the orchestra at all, because they get that it's not always better to have more.  The recording is quite good for a live record.  One of my close friends is the marketing manager for AEA ribbon microphones, so he often travels to studios and dealers for business.  Apparently, he got to hang out with one of the guys that recorded the show who has the tapes of the original recording before it was mastered (apparently they double tracked more things in), and he said the tapes sounded amazing.  It's too bad that they will probably never get released :/...

Apr 20, 2015 at 10:28 AM Post #97 of 98
Ann Arbor Huron High School Choirs, Summer 2011

If you are into choir and piano, then these are some pretty nice recordings that I just posted. They are available in 320 kbps mp3 as well as .flac; please do not stream them as soundcloud's player is a 128 kbps mp3 stream - the download approach is the preferred method.

https://soundcloud.com/immersifi/sets/ann-arbor-huron-high-school-choirs-summer-2011-320-kbp3-mp3-when-downloaded

These are not fully binaural, but mostly so. The principal microphone was the Neumann KU 100 (the same that I always use). There is a touch (just a touch) of two-microphone stereo blended-in as well.

Thanks,

Mark (immersifi)

ADDED: Here is the link to the flac-format files: https://soundcloud.com/immersifi/sets/ann-arbor-huron-high-school-choirs-summer-2011-flac-when-downloaded

Apr 23, 2015 at 6:56 AM Post #98 of 98
The Killers - Live in Royal Albert Hall - Sounds like you're in the crowd.

The Corrs - Unplugged - Sounds very very good and the only Corrs album I listen too - I use these for testing headphone capabilities too, just an excellent album.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back