Best Live Album?
Mar 11, 2004 at 1:26 AM Post #17 of 65
Quote:

Originally posted by king896
Some of my favorite live albums come from King Crimson, I have over 15 live albums from there many different eras, but the one that stands out the most would be "The Night Watch". The recording is ridiculously good for 1974 and the playing is spot on perfect. It was so good that Crimson choose to use most of the material on this album for there next studio album "Starless and Bible Black"

Amen dear brother in Crim. Nightwatch is my fav followed by Vroom Vroom.

Mar 11, 2004 at 2:54 AM Post #18 of 65
The Cure - Entreat
eight Disintegration songs recorded live from Wembley Arena on the 1989 Prayer Tour. the live versions are even better than the album versions, especially the aggressive "Last Dance," Robert's passionate singing on "Prayers for Rain" and the utterly amazing "Disintegration." unfortunately, only eight songs were released on CD, and this was one of The Cure's longest concert ever. if it is to be released in its entirety, it would take up 3 CDs. i think there is an online petition to release the whole recording.

Ride - Reading 1992 (from the OX4 box set)
wish i was there...

Blur - Live at the Budokan

Iron Maiden - Live After Death
yes... still one of the greatest live albums of all time

Oasis - Familiar to Millions

James - Getting Away With It

Mar 11, 2004 at 3:51 AM Post #19 of 65
Woodstock.

Check out Jimi Hendrix, Santana, Ten Years After, etc. etc..

Mar 11, 2004 at 8:39 PM Post #21 of 65
Quote:

Originally posted by daycart1
Woodstock.

Check out Jimi Hendrix, Santana, Ten Years After, etc. etc..

It's not fair I was about to....

O.K. I'll change of music style:
The Montréal Tapes (Charlie Haden, Paul Motian, Gonzalo Rubalcaba) Verve 537 670-2.

P.S. Just a last remark: Woodstock+Jimi Hendrix+RS-1= Ouch....
biggrin.gif

Mar 11, 2004 at 9:45 PM Post #22 of 65
Maceo Parker - Life on Planet Groove

Galactic - We love 'em tonight

Charlie Haden and Kenny Barron - Night and the City

Keith Jarret - Köln Concert

Mar 12, 2004 at 12:25 AM Post #23 of 65
Quote:

Originally posted by rsaavedr
Alison Kraus + Union Station (SACD version) is supposedly great, don't have it yet but I will.

Quote:

Originally posted by danaa
She has that honest vocal characteristic (kind of like Emmylou Harris) that makes me think I'm listening to an angel. Just kind of melt.

Ditto. And double-ditto.

I also like Nirvana's "Unplugged" CD. If that counts?

Mar 12, 2004 at 4:34 PM Post #26 of 65
Live concerts are my weakness-I probably have a couple hundred concerts from many different artists.

Of the commercially released live albums, I would have to agree that the Allman Brothers Fillmore East is the lodestone of live albums. Its great musically, and sounds even better the louder you crank it. I haven't heard the Atlanta Pop release yet, but heard a very bad bootleg of that show and it was awesome music.

Some other personal favorites:

Jefferson Airplane: Bless Its Pointed Little Head and several of the tracks from Thirty Seconds Over Winterland

Santana: just about any of the Santana live albums, but a personal favorite is 1973's Lotus, very jazzy and not available in the US until it was re-released on CD.

Mar 13, 2004 at 7:14 AM Post #27 of 65
Quote:

Originally posted by SouthPaW1227
I've gotta say the 2 best live albums I've ever heard were actually live concerts, and I'm sure it helps that they are on DVD, but anyways...

Linkin Park - "Live In Texas": the sound is insane, perfect recording.

Our Lady Peace - "Live": this is an amazing DVD, the sound is even better than the studio album in my opinion

Is the OLP "Live" DVD pretty much the same as OLP - Live From Calgary & Edmonton??? I think we have similiar taste in music, I'm considering getting these two albums and few other at the moment.

Mar 13, 2004 at 1:14 PM Post #29 of 65
I'm amazed that Patricia Barber's Companion hasn't been mentioned yet. Terrific jazz (vocal+piano with backing band) performance, great material, and recorded just beautifully. Available on CD and SACD.

Mar 13, 2004 at 4:06 PM Post #30 of 65
Stevie Ray Vaughn Live at Carnigie Hall

Users who are viewing this thread

Back