Best listening experience: iPod + AMP or new DAP?
Feb 11, 2015 at 10:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

U2Bono269

100+ Head-Fier
I'm looking to upgrade my setup. I got some great advice in the introductory forum, but I think I'd get a better return on my next question here. My total budget (including new headphones) is under $400.

I currently have an iPod Classic (7th Gen), with Accidentally Extraordinary 51st Studios headphones and Harmon Kardon CL Precision Bass headphones. They work fine for listening to music on the go and at work, but for more serious listening I find myself wanting a better sound, meaning something more open, detailed/nuanced, with good clarity and separation. I want to be able to hear as much as I can and catch as many of the tiny details in the music that I can. I listen to a wide variety of music, mostly rock and alternative, with a little jazz. All my music is lossless.

I've decided to upgrade my headphones to Sennheiser HD598s. This model seems to be where I can get the best bang for my buck and still have room left to improve the rest of my hardware.

But the next question is what to do about the source. I'm interested in hi-res audio, and have some at my disposal, so I'm thinking about the iBasso DX50. But I'm wondering if it would be best to save some money and get a portable headphone amp to go with the iPod instead, like a Fiio E17 or something similar.

I'd prefer to have only one device. But, if the difference between an iPod+amp ($100ish) and an iBasso DAP ($200ish) is negligible, it's not worth it.

Basically, in the experience of members here, is the iBasso typically worth the extra $100?

Feb 11, 2015 at 11:09 AM Post #2 of 10
I should add that with both sets of headphones, I feel that I have to turn the volume on the iPod up past the 85% mark to be at a level of volume and detail that I'm happy with. Any lower and it sounds like some instruments "wash out" and I lose the clarity I like. If it's below that level, I often find myself straining to hear. Does that indicate the need for more power?

Feb 12, 2015 at 11:34 AM Post #3 of 10
EU iPods have volume limits although I think on some you are able to remove the restriction. The iPod classic is highly sought after since Apple inexplicably stopped production. Sound quality wise they are above average with IEMs but not great with headphones like your HD598. Other than capacity and the worlds best user interface they lack quality components. Try a Fiio X5 or iBasso DX90. Less convenient interfaces/much lower battery durations and heavy due to large batteries but better sound.

Feb 12, 2015 at 11:43 AM Post #4 of 10
From what I understand, the Classic stopped production because the parts were no longer available, and Apple didn't feel it was worthwhile to spend the R&D to revamp it. I get it, even though I don't like it.

I do not plan on getting rid of my iPod. I love it for what it is. I use it every day at work and in the car, and I hook it up to a small iHome dock to listen to while cleaning or cooking or whatever.

I don't have the budget or space or child-proofing for a full home setup with either speakers (preferred) or a dedicated headphone listening setup (not as preferred but still better), so I need to go full-on portable. The iPod and portable headphones aren't cutting it for me in a home setting.

The X5 or DX90 are out of my price range considering the updated headphones. So I'm hoping to pick up a DX50.

Feb 12, 2015 at 12:57 PM Post #5 of 10
There's also Fiio's X1 or X3 if you like a warm sound. DX50 is more neutral with wider soundstage, X3 is more intimate. I can understand why Apple finished off the Classic although with their cash resources I can't imagine any components would be an issue.

Jan 26, 2016 at 7:29 AM Post #6 of 10
There's also Fiio's X1 or X3 if you like a warm sound. DX50 is more neutral with wider soundstage, X3 is more intimate. I can understand why Apple finished off the Classic although with their cash resources I can't imagine any components would be an issue.

I can also understand why Apple killed the iPod Classic - it was one of their few products (perhaps the only one) which represented good value for the customer (just over £1 per Gb of storage)! AKA pure greed on the part of Apple as usual

Jan 31, 2016 at 8:59 AM Post #7 of 10
From what I understand, the Classic stopped production because the parts were no longer available, and Apple didn't feel it was worthwhile to spend the R&D to revamp it. I get it, even though I don't like it.

I do not plan on getting rid of my iPod. I love it for what it is. I use it every day at work and in the car, and I hook it up to a small iHome dock to listen to while cleaning or cooking or whatever.

I don't have the budget or space or child-proofing for a full home setup with either speakers (preferred) or a dedicated headphone listening setup (not as preferred but still better), so I need to go full-on portable. The iPod and portable headphones aren't cutting it for me in a home setting.

The X5 or DX90 are out of my price range considering the updated headphones. So I'm hoping to pick up a DX50.

I think you are being very generous to Apple! Given their arrogant pursuit of profit they announced that the Classic was no longer needed (I don't remember any consultation with customers over this) and stopped selling it. I suppose it was like a loss leader for them, as it represented great value for money at around £1 per Gb of storage. After all, they didn't discontinue the other iPods, did they?

Aug 25, 2016 at 8:03 AM Post #8 of 10
I have iPod classic 160GB Roxbock (play FLAC file) and iBasso DX50 (play FLAC as well)....directly from analog output (3.5mm), iBasso better,

To make iPod sing  "shiny" most people add DAC+Amp  like Centrance M8,
So get digital output from iPod through 30 pin LOD, let M8 proceed digital to analog and amp.
I heard sound from this configuration, the sound is amazing (my headphone is Sennheiser HD600)

If you lucky, you can find Centrance M under $400 price in eB*y.

Good luck

~ron~

Aug 25, 2016 at 8:03 PM Post #9 of 10
I don't quite understand what your goals are with your upgrade. You can improve both soundstage and volume with just hp change out. There is no need for amp or dac. Why pay extra for high resolution files with a portable rig that it will hard to discern the improvement in sound quality. I suggest Fischer Audio FA-004, closed headphones with a wide soundstage but somewhat bright. I have a pair, and they work fine with ipods.

Aug 28, 2016 at 3:49 PM Post #10 of 10
I recently had this same scenerio.  Ipod classic 7th gen.  I just started getting into the "mid tier" hifi gear.  So many daps, amps, dacs, iems.....almost overwhelming, especially not being able to listen before the purchases, that and not knowing if the "differences" where really going to be noticeable.  I tried the X3, X5, C3. with no amp.  IMO, no really noticeable sounding differences.  I used the same iems (H100) too.  Disappointed and almost given up, I got a C&C BH amp for Father's Day.......what a huge difference!  Not just in volume, but in independent sound signature(s) of each track I have played for years before.  I only thought I knew the "sounds" in the songs.  Then I thought maybe thats where the money needs to be spent.  From there on, I have purchased quite a few amps, nothing ridiculous, sub $250, so far the JDS C5D is my "goto".  It paired with my ole classic and H100's = bliss to me.  Hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back