Best line-out on a PCDP?
Nov 14, 2003 at 4:08 AM Post #16 of 28
I found out about the D-5 from Duncan's D-50 review and got one off of ebay. The line out sounds very good IMO. I have it going to a META42 and RS-1/SR225/ER-4S. My #2 source would be the DCP-100, which also sounds sweet. CDs I play are mainly classical, rock, or jazz.

MastersVoice.jpg

Nov 14, 2003 at 1:48 PM Post #18 of 28
Of the ones I've tried, the Denon DCP-150 is a standout. Line out is the best of the pcdps. coherent, but slightly laid back presentation. Next best is the Sony D-303. The turbo-modded D-25s fits into here somewhere, but ran into technical difficulties, so I'm not sure how to rate it.

Nov 14, 2003 at 2:55 PM Post #19 of 28
What about the D-311 Discman? It is considered by many to be the best sounding Discman...

And what do you think will be better for me, to buy an amp for $100 for my D-E905's line-out or to buy a $100 D-311 for it's great hp-out? What will sound better?

Nov 14, 2003 at 3:06 PM Post #20 of 28
I posted some information on vintage player line outs at www.portaphile.com but I don't have anything yet on the D-e905. The D-303 has the highest line level output of the players I have listed at 1.5V. This information comes directly from Sony product catalogs.

You just missed an excellent deal on a D-311 from a seller in Germany. 42 Dollars!
eek.gif
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ory=19636&rd=1

Nov 14, 2003 at 3:50 PM Post #21 of 28
Quote:

Originally posted by Pappucho
I posted some information on vintage player line outs at www.portaphile.com but I don't have anything yet on the D-e905. The D-303 has the highest line level output of the players I have listed at 1.5V. This information comes directly from Sony product catalogs.

You just missed an excellent deal on a D-311 from a seller in Germany. 42 Dollars!
eek.gif
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ory=19636&rd=1

Oh, I've dreamed about a D-311 since i came to head-fi, but I have a D-E905
biggrin.gif
, I like it even more when I look at it, sooo cute but I think its hp-out is not sounding right, its line-out is much better,
Pappucho, did you bid on that 42dollar D-311? Why did you miss it then? I think if the seller would not have added a "n" to word discman"n" the player would have costed more
biggrin.gif
.... I am looking at ebay Germany and Usually search by "Sony Discman" as probably many of you, if I do that this d-311 do not appear...
frown.gif

And is much better sounding a D-311 from hp-out if to me a D-E905 sounds kinda too bright and airy, and fatiguing at some points, not relaxed sound... and a bit thin. And what about the line-outs, can someone compare?

Nov 14, 2003 at 3:56 PM Post #22 of 28
I bid on the D-311 but only a small amount thinking I would snipe later near the end of the auction. Unfortunately, i was asleep when the auction ended and wasn't able to bid on it. I never expected it to sell for so little, otherwise I would have stayed awake and sniped.

I have never heard a E905 so I can't personally compare it to the D-311, but the D-311 has the best headphone out of the players I have. It never sounds bright nor fatiguing.

Nov 14, 2003 at 4:10 PM Post #23 of 28
Quote:

Originally posted by Bonzi
What about the D-311 Discman? It is considered by many to be the best sounding Discman...

And what do you think will be better for me, to buy an amp for $100 for my D-E905's line-out or to buy a $100 D-311 for it's great hp-out? What will sound better?

The 311 sounds pretty incredible. It depends which headphones you are using though. It still doesn't have enough power to drive a Sennheiser HD-600 but if you talking about an SR-60 or something along those lines the internal amp is excellent.

Pappucho, You can borrow my 905 if you want to try it out and take photos for your website. Just send me a PM. Nice website BTW.

Nov 14, 2003 at 5:56 PM Post #24 of 28
Quote:

Originally posted by Bonzi

Where can you find a D-311 for $100? I'll take three of them at that price!

People are *far* too amp crazy on this board. Just remember: crap in, crap out.

Easily driven headphones w/ a good PCDP don't need an amp to sound good. An amp will just add color and noise.

A D-311 with good cans is all that you need. Although, contrary to some, I find the D-311 a little on the bright side--not D-515 bright, but almost D25 bright (different sound though).

Nov 14, 2003 at 6:06 PM Post #25 of 28
Quote:

Originally posted by Pappucho

1.5 volts? I think that's a typo because that would be out of spec for the input of most amplifiers.

Nov 14, 2003 at 6:39 PM Post #26 of 28
I own both a D-311 and a D-E905 and IMO as far as HP out goes the D-311 has a more detailed sound than the 905. For me the D-311 can sound a bit bright at times depending on what I'm listening to. The D-E905 sounds a bit darker and it's sound stage isn't as wide as the D-311. Overall I'd say the D-311 has one of the best HP out that I've come accross so far. The accuracy in instrument reproduction on the D-311 is just incredible.

Nov 14, 2003 at 8:28 PM Post #27 of 28
Quote:

Originally posted by warubozu
I own both a D-311 and a D-EJ905 and IMO as far as HP out goes the D-311 has a more detailed sound than the 905. For me the D-311 can sound a bit bright at times depending on what I'm listening to. The D-EJ905 sounds a bit darker and it's sound stage isn't as wide as the D-311. Overall I'd say the D-311 has one of the best HP out that I've come accross so far. The accuracy in instrument reproduction on the D-311 is just incredible.

Oh I got it, that means the D-311 of its hp-out sounds comparable good as D-E905 from the line-out... Perfect, that is what I wanted... I've never heard a single pcdp that sounds so good just from hp-out...

You know what is the excitement about the portables.... that they can sound sooo good being soooo small... of course you simply must expect good sound out of a big ugly CD deck... and what do you think if it doesn't
mad.gif
, but just when looking at portables and then share its great sound(like a D311) it's something really fantastic, you agree???

And I can take it with me anywhere and have great sound..... the problem is that I don't have one, and the D-E905 doesn't sound good to me with Etys, too bright and because of that sometimes fatiguing in the highs, and kinda soft, although complitely other story from the line-out,, but I need an amp to take the Volume up and bring the detail closer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back