Best legal download site?
May 12, 2005 at 10:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

Jakets

500+ Head-Fier
Okay ive been using real rhapsody, and while i like it, the files suck!

It transfers only .wma protected files to my player. Isnt there a place i can just pay for an .mp3 at any bitrate (or at least good ones) and do what i want with it? I want to burn it to cds, transfer it to other computers, have hot sex with it. Why cant i do what i want with my files!?

Grr. lol So is there anything that will just give me a damn file? For a reasonable price?

Thanks, and sorry for the cussing, im a little upset i just wasted 9$ on an album that i cant do much with but transfer to my player in .wma

May 12, 2005 at 10:29 PM Post #2 of 27
I've always heard good things about allofmp3.com

there should be a many threads regarding this site. they seem to have the widest range of music imo. i can't find older/rarer songs with sites like napster and itunes.

May 12, 2005 at 10:45 PM Post #3 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by gshan
I've always heard good things about allofmp3.com

there should be a many threads regarding this site. they seem to have the widest range of music imo. i can't find older/rarer songs with sites like napster and itunes.

What he said. Oh, if it appears in Russian go to the top left corner and click on the "English" link.

May 12, 2005 at 10:48 PM Post #4 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by apnk
What he said. Oh, if it appears in Russian go to the top left corner and click on the "English" link.

Hmm, while it looks alright they dont have the one album i was really wanting right now >> lol Weezers latest. Ah well, i will just go buy the cd.
orphsmile.gif

May 13, 2005 at 1:56 AM Post #5 of 27
Well, I wouldn't exactly call allofmp3.com a legal site, but it is a very good one.

To answer your question, I'm not aware on any fully legal and RIAA-approved site that doesn't DRM-cripple files, annoyingly limit availability of certain tracks, charge almost as much as just buying the CD, etc. Until they get past these games the legal sites won't have much to offer.

May 13, 2005 at 3:41 AM Post #6 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by ILikeMusic
Well, I wouldn't exactly call allofmp3.com a legal site, but it is a very good one.

To answer your question, I'm not aware on any fully legal and RIAA-approved site that doesn't DRM-cripple files, annoyingly limit availability of certain tracks, charge almost as much as just buying the CD, etc. Until they get past these games the legal sites won't have much to offer.

I'd say, for the price you can get CD's on the web now there's "no good reason" why someone that cares about audio quality would download (or buy) cr£ppy Mp3's. Just my (extreme) opinion.

May 13, 2005 at 4:12 AM Post #7 of 27
If you're interested in legal and FREE sites, here are a couple I really like:

Comfort Stand

They're an independent net only label. They have some really odd artists, but some very good ones too. Best part is that they package up all files, artwork etc. - the whole package nice and neat.

Live Music Archive

Check this out if you really like live music, soundboard recordings, etc. All bands have approved the recordings - which is cool in itself. I believe their policy is lossless compression only for files - so at least in theory the files are as good as the source (not always so good...) Huge archives - might find something awesome.

May 13, 2005 at 2:19 PM Post #9 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil Ramsay
Live Music Archive

Check this out if you really like live music, soundboard recordings, etc. All bands have approved the recordings - which is cool in itself. I believe their policy is lossless compression only for files - so at least in theory the files are as good as the source (not always so good...) Huge archives - might find something awesome.

I was going to say that one, but you were faster.
I've downloaded a few albums from there.
The material varies even with the same artists from one concert to the other - I've downloaded two performances by a group, one was so-so, the other was great. It also depends on who recorded it and with what equipment.
Compression formats are usually FLAC, Lossless, Shorten, or even wav, so you have nearly CD-quality.

And, as Seijang said, there are still used CDs, they go for half the price.
wink.gif

May 13, 2005 at 7:39 PM Post #10 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jakets
Okay ive been using real rhapsody, and while i like it, the files suck!

It transfers only .wma protected files to my player. Isnt there a place i can just pay for an .mp3 at any bitrate (or at least good ones) and do what i want with it? I want to burn it to cds, transfer it to other computers, have hot sex with it. Why cant i do what i want with my files!?

Grr. lol So is there anything that will just give me a damn file? For a reasonable price?

Thanks, and sorry for the cussing, im a little upset i just wasted 9$ on an album that i cant do much with but transfer to my player in .wma

Can you just not convert the files to .mp3?

May 13, 2005 at 7:46 PM Post #11 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sphinx89
Can you just not convert the files to .mp3?

No, there protected, i cant do anything with them, including move them from the player to my computer.. I canceled my real subscription since its such a crappy way of doing things. Napster isnt much better (at least it dosent use 2 file types and store them both on my HD!) I think i will just go back to buying used cds and ripping the songs i want. Most of the sites people have suggested were only okay, and the free sites music was terrible (in my opinion, its just not my thing).

May 13, 2005 at 8:10 PM Post #12 of 27
you can get rid of the protection, which would be illegal, so you might of well just stole them in the first place. then convert them to mp3 or whatever you want, but then they won't sound all that good.

the only pay site I ever use is allofmp3.com because it seems like the only decent one

May 13, 2005 at 8:29 PM Post #14 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon L
Desperately seeking legal, for-pay download site for lossless/uncompressed files..

No such thing exists, there's no pay to download market (well other than us head-fi'ers) for the still relatively large lossless files.

May 14, 2005 at 9:16 AM Post #15 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by ILikeMusic

whats not illegal must be legal, therefore (you get it).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back