Best Led Zep Epic
Jan 25, 2002 at 3:38 PM Post #2 of 19
-dazed and confused
-how many more times

I prefer early Zep so my best epic song has to be "dazed and confused" or "how many more times" from Zep 1st CD. Jimmy Page has some explosive guitar bursts in these works, have more edge than later works. Also like the "groaning souls" background effect from "dazed"

Jan 25, 2002 at 4:43 PM Post #3 of 19
It's very hard to pick just one classic Led Zeppelin song,there are quite a few, but my favorite album was always "Presence". There is just something special about that album.

Jan 25, 2002 at 6:54 PM Post #4 of 19
Quote:

Originally posted by DarkAngel
-dazed and confused
-how many more times

I prefer early Zep so my best epic song has to be "dazed and confused" or "how many more times" from Zep 1st CD. Jimmy Page has some explosive guitar bursts in these works, have more edge than later works. Also like the "groaning souls" background effect from "dazed"

I forgot about How Many More Times. That is a truly great song.

Jan 26, 2002 at 3:12 PM Post #5 of 19
I'm glad no one has picked "stairway to heaven" as I am pretty sick of hearing that song over and over again, plus I think it isn't even the best song on Zep 4 CD. But without fail if MTV/VHI does a countdown of greatest rock songs ever you be assured "stairway" will appear in the top 3.

I would like it better if the first half of song was eliminated, because the last half of "stairway" is very good.

Jan 27, 2002 at 1:08 AM Post #6 of 19
About Stairway, I really enjoy the first half. Jimmy builds up to the crescendo so well that getting there is more than half the fun.
It also has a fantastic mellow vibe about it - especially with that recorder.

favorite epic: Communication Breakdown <joke>

I heard No Quarter on the radio the other day. It hasn't lost any of its magic. The guitar refrain is so eerie that it stayed in my head all day. Its also a deceptively tricky bitch to play. I gave up on that one. I only play well after a few beer
wink.gif
(ie. I suck.)

Jan 27, 2002 at 7:02 AM Post #8 of 19
Heartbreaker/Living Loving Maid--my ideal woman
Babe I'm Gonna Leave You--self explanatory
Four Sticks--YEAH, Bonzo, Jimmy, and John Paul...
When The Levee Breaks--"Mean ole' lady, taught me to weep and moan"

Jan 27, 2002 at 7:38 AM Post #9 of 19
The only problem with "Stairway to Heaven" is that it got played to death. RIP

Mine:

Babe I'm Gonna Leave You
Kashmir
Dazed and Confused (Live version)
No Quarter

Far and away #1:

The Rain Song

Jan 27, 2002 at 7:59 AM Post #11 of 19
Yeah, I agree with Dusty about Stairway....I always liked When the Levee Breaks for an epic...They had so many good ones though. It was their more intimate stuff that I liked best, however. Led Zeppelin III was my favorite, with Tangerine being my favorite song. That and perhaps Going to California.
Stu

Jan 28, 2002 at 1:54 AM Post #14 of 19
Quote:

Originally posted by BlindSeer
Hear here. I love that song...

What I like about it is that it is so cinematic. Jimmy goes through everything on the guitar on that one -- downpour, drizzle, cloudburst, sheets...you name it. He even lets the sun peak through at one point. The first time I realized what he was doing I nearly cried. Of course, before that, I thought it was just boring. But I was a little brat then, so forgive me my ignorance.

Jan 28, 2002 at 5:38 AM Post #15 of 19
Yeah, normally I'm not a fan of songs with such a simple chord structure, but when you do that much with it and end somewhere completely different from where you began, it's really impressive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back