Best Laptop?
Oct 2, 2007 at 10:50 PM Post #61 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by devin_mm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I looked at the G2S line and it had nice features but it had a couple things going against it in my opinion, first was the fact that it came with a 2.2GHz C2D, second were the looks my taste in computers is very simple nice clean lines, very little clutter, very little plastic and superfluous lights and the G2S didn't fit the bill.

I agree completely. Asus' whole "G" line is garish and not very portable in my opinion. The other Asus laptops I mentioned a few posts above are all clean and not-cheap looking. I want a good GPU in my laptop, but not at the expense of portability, noise, and style. If I wanted a desktop replacement, I'd rather get a very portable laptop with a fast cpu and then get one of those new external expresscard pci express graphics card boxes from Asus or MSI and use a real graphics card. Those boxes have been perpetually delayed, but hopefully we'll start seeing them again around CES time in January.

Oct 3, 2007 at 2:06 PM Post #62 of 77
Yeah, the G2S line is not very portable and I bought the Acer 14" I have now because I thought I wanted a simple, portable laptop.
But after using it for a few months, I realized that I wouldn't really miss the portability of a 14". What I do miss is the performance and speed of my desktop computer. So for me, a 17" WUXGA DTR laptop seems the best of both worlds. The ability to move around when I need to but still have the performance of a desktop.
I personally like the looks of the G2S and it's the only 17" laptop I know of with 1920x1200 resolution and an eSATA port.

Oct 3, 2007 at 2:40 PM Post #63 of 77
What's wrong with 2.2GHz C2D? That's pretty fast for a mobile cpu. If you want faster they offer an Extreme model that comes with Core 2 Extreme X7800 2.6 GHz. Although it comes with blu-ray and costs almost double.
And to be fair, the G2S is meant to compete with high-end offerings from Alienware, FalconNW, Voodoo. These guys wrote the book on "garish" laptops. IMO, when you compare all the high-end 17" laptops, the G2S has the most understated styling of them all.
Yes, it has "gaming" lights but that's a reasonable tradeoff for simple, clean lines and brushed aluminium. I mean think of the alternative; loud colour schemes, huge logos on the hood, styling that emphasizes brand name.

Oct 6, 2007 at 5:12 AM Post #64 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, just 90% of the fully satisfied customers who have no regrets!
smily_headphones1.gif

oh god...here we go....
wink.gif

Macs are just fine. I use one at work for testing software. They are not any easier to learn than any other system, so take your pick. I do think the Dell XPS series stays ahead of the pack for good reason, though. They're just faster. Plus, with Windows systems, there are hundreds of free utils, apps, GAMES, and the like. (I always wonder why Macs are supposed to be so multimedia friendly, but nobody ports games for them. Weird.)

Oct 6, 2007 at 2:18 PM Post #66 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by Clutz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Best notebook computer: Macbook Pro!

has been trouble free and great for over a year for me.

Oct 6, 2007 at 2:22 PM Post #67 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by bhjazz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
oh god...here we go....
wink.gif

Macs are just fine. I use one at work for testing software. They are not any easier to learn than any other system, so take your pick. I do think the Dell XPS series stays ahead of the pack for good reason, though. They're just faster. Plus, with Windows systems, there are hundreds of free utils, apps, GAMES, and the like. (I always wonder why Macs are supposed to be so multimedia friendly, but nobody ports games for them. Weird.)

you still have the option of running xp on a mac and as far as gaming
i think a gaming console would be a better choice such as a ps3 or xbox.

Oct 6, 2007 at 9:46 PM Post #68 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by iggee85 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What's wrong with 2.2GHz C2D? That's pretty fast for a mobile cpu. If you want faster they offer an Extreme model that comes with Core 2 Extreme X7800 2.6 GHz. Although it comes with blu-ray and costs almost double.
And to be fair, the G2S is meant to compete with high-end offerings from Alienware, FalconNW, Voodoo. These guys wrote the book on "garish" laptops. IMO, when you compare all the high-end 17" laptops, the G2S has the most understated styling of them all.
Yes, it has "gaming" lights but that's a reasonable tradeoff for simple, clean lines and brushed aluminium. I mean think of the alternative; loud colour schemes, huge logos on the hood, styling that emphasizes brand name.

Haha, it's just amazing to hear you guys talk about Asus - I was a laptop repair tech for them before I started med school...if you guys have any questions regarding warranty repair, which models we see less of (as is which models are more reliable), or if you have problems with your asus, shoot me a pm. I have fixed them all!

Oct 6, 2007 at 9:52 PM Post #69 of 77
BTW: Asus chasis are designed for consumers...even the preconfigured models. It is not difficult to upgrade CPU, memory or anything like that. You just run the risk of killing your warranty...which I must say, Asus is great about =).

Oct 7, 2007 at 2:03 AM Post #70 of 77
If you need the big screen, the Toshiba Satellite M65 Series is unbeatable! I have the S809 model with the orange top(copper color). Looks great!

Oct 7, 2007 at 5:46 AM Post #71 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by ozz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you still have the option of running xp on a mac and as far as gaming i think a gaming console would be a better choice such as a ps3 or xbox.

Yup! Although the latest xbox has proven itself to be a steaming pile...
plainface.gif
And XP on a mac...I'm glad it is now possible. Kind of a cool thing!

Oct 10, 2007 at 2:04 PM Post #72 of 77
I think, when it comes to build quality, it's definitly IBM/Lenovo. ...But overall including OS, design and features it's Apple. So it's not very far away I own a MacBook Pro. :wink:

Oct 10, 2007 at 2:26 PM Post #73 of 77
Recently picked up a Lenovo Think Pad and LOVE it!

RIDE

Oct 10, 2007 at 4:42 PM Post #74 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by ozz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i think a gaming console would be a better choice such as a ps3 or xbox.

console games are IMO not nearly as good (i play mostly fps and rts), and with consoles you have to use the horrible controller.

Oct 10, 2007 at 5:24 PM Post #75 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by Clutz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Best notebook computer: Macbook Pro!

If Price is no object, they're reliable machines. Format those things ASAP and put Linux or XP on them, however. However, for the value they're just not worth it to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back