Best Laptop?
Sep 24, 2007 at 7:05 PM Post #46 of 77
Thinkpads are a bit pricey but they are excellent machines. It's sort of hard to justify the price these days, not because they're not built as well, but because almost everyone else is catching up (or has caught up).

I love toughbooks! It's just these days the best laptop for my needs really is an ultra-compact and toughbooks just won't work
frown.gif

Sep 27, 2007 at 4:36 AM Post #51 of 77
My Dell M1330 is quite a nice notebook, but it's not built to withstand as much damage as the Lenovo. Its build quality is great, and the LED backlit screen is the brightest I've ever seen on a notebook.

Sep 27, 2007 at 12:32 PM Post #52 of 77
perplex: There is no "best laptop" just like there is no "best car" - with so many models being available for different purposes, your question is rather useless unless you specify your needs...

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Sep 28, 2007 at 3:42 PM Post #54 of 77
IMO Dell is the best laptop you can get; decent build quality, customization options and good price.
Lenovos are also good quality but I couldn't find one that could compete at Dell's price.
ASUS, HPs, Toshiba are really good quality but a bit more expensive than Dell. The good thing about these brands is you can go see them in Brick & Mortar stores.
Acers are the best if all you care about is price, the build quality isn't so great.
Then there are the high-end gaming brands (Alienware.Voodoo,Falcon-Northwest). These are the best laptops money can buy, but be prepared to pay a HUGE premium for these.

Sep 28, 2007 at 10:54 PM Post #55 of 77
Quote:

Alienware

Alien may be the most expensive you can buy, but it is certainly not the best. They use AMD processors which run hot and their service before Dell bought them was horrendous.

Sep 29, 2007 at 4:34 AM Post #56 of 77
Quote:

They use AMD processors which run hot and their service before Dell bought them was horrendous.

No, their current models run Core2Duos.
http://www.alienware.com/product_pag...l_default.aspx

And no, current AMD processors do not run hotter, they generally have a slightly lower TDP as well as being cheaper in price. But in laptops the performance difference between competing chips is too small to notice by a regular user.

Oct 1, 2007 at 8:40 PM Post #57 of 77
Well I just picked up my second macbook pro 17" this time, I sold my other one to a family member. Man I just love this system it feels like everything just fits which you don't get with a really custom computer. I got it for $2899 brand new from Futureshop, I also bought an extended warranty (no I didn't get talked into it I asked for it) since they have a great warranty program just bring it in and they'll replace it on the spot. I looked hard at ASUS and Dell but the issue was I needed one right this day and they didn't run OS X (duh).

Oct 2, 2007 at 6:26 PM Post #58 of 77
I've always liked Asus laptops for good price/performance value. I bought an Asus M6BNe 3 years ago and it still runs great.

If I had to buy a new laptop today, I'd probably look at the Asus U6S, F9S, and F8S because they're all fairly portable, have decent graphics, and have hdmi/dvi outputs which is important to me because I like to connect my laptop to a big lcd monitor at home. The F8S and F9S are also priced quite well compared to similar laptops from Sony and Dell, although Sony laptops don't have hdmi/dvi. Lenovo doesn't have anything comparable in my opinion.

Oct 2, 2007 at 9:59 PM Post #59 of 77
Yeah, Asus make great laptops, have you seen their G2S line? If their next-gen laptops are the same quality/price, I would seriously consider getting an Asus to replace my Acer.
But the problem with Asus though is that they're not offered at many places. And the stores that do carry them don't have the advertising power to compete with the big box stores.
At least you can check out the big brands at Best Buy, Future Shop or Costco.

Oct 2, 2007 at 10:39 PM Post #60 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by iggee85 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, Asus make great laptops, have you seen their G2S line? If their next-gen laptops are the same quality/price, I would seriously consider getting an Asus to replace my Acer.
But the problem with Asus though is that they're not offered at many places. And the stores that do carry them don't have the advertising power to compete with the big box stores.
At least you can check out the big brands at Best Buy, Future Shop or Costco.

I looked at the G2S line and it had nice features but it had a couple things going against it in my opinion, first was the fact that it came with a 2.2GHz C2D, second were the looks my taste in computers is very simple nice clean lines, very little clutter, very little plastic and no superfluous lights and the G2S didn't fit the bill.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back