Best knife sharpening tool for dummys...
Dec 17, 2003 at 11:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

RickG

Electrostatic Elvis
I've got several nice pocket knives that I want to keep a good edge on. I'm just wondering if any of you guys can recommend a good (not necessarily cheap) tool for me to use? I would prefer one with a shallow learning curve...and it can be automated or manual.

smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 17, 2003 at 11:58 PM Post #2 of 25
Crock Sticks. They're alumina-ceramic rods with a base that sets them up in a "V" configuration. Get the full-sized version with a couple of angle settings (they make smaller, portable ones, but they're difficult to use for 4" blades, because the aluminum sticks are short).

Crock Sticks are for blades that you haven't let go too long. If you can see the edges because they're so worn, then you need something that'll take more metal off. If you don't let your edges get this way, then something like Crock Sticks will probably keep your knives super sharp.

You'd be amazed the edges you'll be able to put on most of your knives with Crock Sticks and a good leather strop. And it doesn't take too much practice.

Dec 18, 2003 at 12:06 AM Post #3 of 25
Get the book "The Razor Edge Book of Sharpening" by John Juranitch

He has a very easy system for getting a razor edge on knives and I have sharpened dozens of knives following his procedure. He provides you with two methods. The first is basically sharpening at a fixed angle like Jude describes above. This gives excellent results. The second is to sharpen the knife then use a different angle for the final edge. This produces the sharpest edge I have ever seen on a knife.

As an aside he also provides instructions on how to sharpen fishhooks. You would be amazed how dull hooks from the store are.

Dec 18, 2003 at 12:39 AM Post #5 of 25
Spyderco Sharpmaker. It even comes with an instructional video which shows you how to use it.

OTOH, I moderate both of the official Spyderco discussion fora so I'm probably biased.
wink.gif

Dec 18, 2003 at 12:51 AM Post #6 of 25
I still think sharpening stones are best, with a jig if you need one. Traditional oil stones are harder to use because they require about four times as much sharpening to get a knife sharp and it can be difficult to hold the blade at a consistent angle. If you get a 1000 grit synthetic water stone you'll only have to get the angle right for about a quarter of the time. They achieve a fine edge and remove metal quickly. If you want a sharper, more polished edge you can always go to 4000 grit after that and to 8000 and to leather strops etc.

Lee Valley stuff isn't really heirloom quality but I've found it good enough. This thing looks good but I haven't used one:

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...urrency=2&SID=

And this is the best book on sharpening there is:
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...urrency=2&SID=

Dec 18, 2003 at 1:06 AM Post #7 of 25
An old furniture maker and antique tool enthusiast (a dying breed) taught me how to sharpen with a good whetstone about 10 years ago, and no sharpening gadget I've come across since does a better job.
smily_headphones1.gif

Failing such an expert to "hone" your ways, a good fixed-angle ceramic sharpener like Jude described is pretty good. That's what my culinary friends use.

--Chris

Dec 18, 2003 at 3:40 AM Post #9 of 25
Quote:

Originally posted by Gord SW Ont
Another option (which may be overkill) is:

http://business.gorge.net/edgepro/

It has a good reputation but is expensive and may not be ideal for small pocket knives,

Good luck ... Gord SW Ont.

HEY that company is in Oregon!!
That looks like an improvement on the idea behind the Lansky sharpening system, which I have. The Lansky needed some improvements. I have not had much luck with my Lansky. It works okay if the edge is only slightly dull, and you have a lot of time to spend.

I'm watching this thread also, I am about ready to send my Benchmade knife in and have it sharpened.
rolleyes.gif
I am not good at sharpening knives.

Dec 18, 2003 at 4:23 AM Post #10 of 25
Another thing that is often overlooked once you have a knife sharp is steeling it during use. The key to using a steel is to maintain a constant angle as you draw the knife against the steel. The speed and dramatic flourish you see with some chefs really accomplishes nothing that a series of slow strokes won't.

Dec 18, 2003 at 4:44 PM Post #15 of 25
Thanks again for all the help, guys. I went ahead and ordered some Crock Sticks and a nice razor strop. Maybe I can maintain a decent edge on my blades with these tools.

We'll see...

smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back