Best keyboards for gaming!
Jun 27, 2013 at 9:20 AM Post #196 of 275
My experience is most gaming keyboards are alike, biggest diference nowadays is the design.

If you like the design of a keyboard and you have the possibilty of trying it tand you like it, hen I would chose that

Jul 7, 2013 at 6:18 AM Post #197 of 275
Quote:
To give some feedback on the K120 keyboard: not recommended for gaming. Not sure what to call the finish of the keys but they get slippery when wet. In a longer gaming session the keyboard hand seems to get a little sweaty so I loose grip. Just use for surfing or office.

Quite sure the Logitech K120 isn't even considered for gaming and perfectly understood but I find it a lot nicer then the Steelseries 6GV2. Had to try the latter to see what the ''mechanical fuzz'' is about but I found this particular one waaaay to heavy and clumsy feeling.

What I would like to do is to make the K120 WASD keys more resistant to slippery. I'm thinking some sort of (cloth) stickers. Anyone any ideas?

Dec 4, 2013 at 4:50 AM Post #199 of 275
The Razer BlackWidow Ultimate Stealth has MX Cherry Brown switches, which in my opinion are a good compromise between MX Cherry Blue, which may be best for typing, and MX Cherry Black/Red which may be best suited for FPS games.

Dec 4, 2013 at 11:57 AM Post #200 of 275
I've been through blues, browns, blacks, and reds. For my preference I like the reds because they are just so light.

As for a keyboard, it's a bit overpriced but the Corsair K70 is what I use. Well built, simple design, decent backlighting (I got the black version specifically for the red backlighting, white/blue for me is just too distracting) and an ok wrist rest (not padded, just some kind of soft touch plastic/rubber).

Dec 8, 2013 at 1:51 PM Post #202 of 275
There are so many key types and flavors to keyboards and what may be a great option for me might be a poor option for you, you need to try different switch types.
here are general things you should note when looking for a key, but you should still try them first in real life (only the ones I have tried):

Red: are considered better for gaming, mostly due to the fact that you easily and quickly (very low amount of force required) can press and repeat pressing that key, however they are liner and you can feel the actuation point. I really don't like them

Black: also liner, however require much more force to push and I generally don't like them, but I prefer them over reds

Blue: my personal favorite! mid-low force required but with a pretty accurate clicky feedback that let's you know you have passed the actuation point, however you have little to non indication of when the key press has been released.

Green: also one of my favorite, heavier than the blue with a strong and accurate clicky feedback for the actuation point, also a pretty nice indication of when the key has been released.

Brown: They are slightly heavier than the blue, but not nearly as heavy as the greens, the have a nice feedback but instead of a click they have a bump, the biggest difference is that the key is much quieter (almost as the blacks or reds) with a less accurate feedback than the blue (still great).

Should be noted that some gamers choose membrane keyboards because of the lower travel distance and therefor should reduce the delta T between the key press and the actuation (I think it's not really helpful, but I'm not a compeditive gamer.

After you chose your switch type, you need to choose the keyboard by design and features.
Example, you play a lot of MMO and you need a ton of macros.. or you need LED back-lit..
Do you want a tenkeyless or a full size keyboard?
wristrest is importent? you can get aftermarket ones if you want.. 
Are you interested in cool, minimalist stealthy keycaps like the CM storm quickfire stealth or the filco ninja(I can't attach photos yet, because I'm new at Head-Fi)

Also, If you have a pet. make sure to get a braided cable, and if possible a removable cable because they will chew your cable at some point...

Dec 9, 2013 at 3:12 PM Post #203 of 275
The MX RGB looks to be awesome and of course it's announced right after I upgraded all of my keyboards to Ducky Shine 3's. Since my first post in this thread, I have refined my thoughts.

Gaming keyboards are a lot like headphones in that you need to make sure you're using the right one for the right job. For FPS competitive gaming, you want...
  1. Fully mechanical keys using Cherry MX Red switches (not brown, blue, or even black) for the absolute fastest response
  2. Tenkeyless so your hands are closer together
  3. PS/2 support with full N-key Rollover functionality so you can actually engage all of the keys you want to hit

...and that's it. Illumination, game mode, and other bells and whistles are just worthless gimmicks.

The Leopold Tenkeyless Linear Touch Keyboard meets every one of those requirements and is, quite simply, the best keyboard for FPS competitive gaming.

I found that I was having far too many accidental presses with the Red, so I got the Black and now I'm in heaven. The tenkeyless is still an absolute must for FPS gaming still. I just can't get the movement I need in my wrists when my arms are as far apart as they are when using a full-sized keyboard. Full N-key Rollover continues to be a must. Playing in the dark also made me understand the importance of the illumination. That's why I went with the Ducky Shine 3 Tenkeyless with MX Blacks for my gaming keyboard and the Ducky Shine 3 Full-sized with MX Browns for my office keyboard.

The newish MX Greens, what absolute crap they are for gaming. WAY too much force needed on them and the tactile and audible identifiers just make them slow as balls. For typing, ehh. I'd still rather use browns for that. I see a point for tactile feedback, but not audible feedback.

Can't wait for these MX RGBs to hit the street next year. Will definitely be looking to pick up some sort of tenkeyless MX RGB Black keyboard at that time.

Feb 3, 2014 at 8:04 PM Post #206 of 275
  I use a Das S professional keyboard (Blues) for gaming, but I can't help but wonder if red keys would've been more beneficial. 

Depends on the gaming, but chances are they would have been at there is no tactile or audible feedback on the reds. Less delay of engagement means faster response. Personally, I like the black over the red. Both are the same, but the black needs a little more force to depress. I found myself having far too many miss-types with red.

Feb 3, 2014 at 8:12 PM Post #208 of 275
I actually owned a monoprice mechanical keyboard with black keys beforehand, as much as I liked it's feel for gaming, something just felt off whenever I would type my essays lol

Makes sense. The black and red aren't made for typing. Black and red for gaming. Blue and green for typing. Brown for hybrid use.

Feb 9, 2014 at 7:04 AM Post #210 of 275
  I have a Mionix Zibal 60 showing up at my door on Tuesday. Really looking forward to trying it out. I also have one of their gaming mousepads and mice showing up at the same time. I'll be putting it through the ringer for both gaming and work purposes.

Nice! What mouse did you get from them? I'm currently using the Naos 7000 (replaced a 3200) and I have to say it's pretty awesome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back