Best Jazz Piano Album
Dec 31, 2007 at 2:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

No Deal

100+ Head-Fier
I must confess to enjoying Brian Culbertson's work. Jeff Lorber's "He Had Hat" was, in my opinion, an outstanding release this year. Fun listening. However, I just listened again to Ahmad Jamal's 1986 release of "Rossiter Road" and nothing, again in my opinion, has surpassed this serious effort on the Steinway. This is exceptional work. Work that I saw performed live at Concerts by the Sea in Redondo Beach.

I am certain that this is a road well traveled here but I had to throw in my 2 cents.

Dec 31, 2007 at 3:41 PM Post #2 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by No Deal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I must confess to enjoying Brian Culbertson's work. Jeff Lorber's "He Had Hat" was, in my opinion, an outstanding release this year. Fun listening. However, I just listened again to Ahmad Jamal's 1986 release of "Rossiter Road" and nothing, again in my opinion, has surpassed this serious effort on the Steinway. This is exceptional work. Work that I saw performed live at Concerts by the Sea in Redondo Beach.

I am certain that this is a road well traveled here but I had to throw in my 2 cents.

Ahmad never got his due. Major influence on Miles. I was in LA in 1986 and I missed Ahmad in Redondo?!?!?! Bummer! Good for you!

Dec 31, 2007 at 4:00 PM Post #4 of 17
Not trying to start a war or anything, but it's kinda funny to read that Ahmad Jamal "never got his due." To this date, he's one of the handful of jazzers since the mid-'50s to actually make the pop charts. His "Poinciana" is evergreen, which is to say that it has a place in not just jazz history, but world history.

As for great contemporary piano albums, I'd like to throw out a name: Rodney Kendrick. Try Dance, World, Dance or Last Chance for Common Sense. Boppish, funky, adventurous and highly accessible. Unfortunately, he hasn't had major label backing in about a decade. He's not fretting, though; just happens to be Miss Diana Ross' son-in-law.

Dec 31, 2007 at 5:27 PM Post #7 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by tru blu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not trying to start a war or anything, but it's kinda funny to read that Ahmad Jamal "never got his due." To this date, he's one of the handful of jazzers since the mid-'50s to actually make the pop charts. His "Poinciana" is evergreen, which is to say that it has a place in not just jazz history, but world history.

I hope you're right and I'm wrong. As a serious student of jazz piano for 30+ years, *I* rarely hear Ahmad Jamal mentioned as an innovator in the same breath as Bud Powell, Bill Evans, etc. Surprising to me, when his influence (predominantly rhythm / space) affected a broad range of players of various instruments, not just piano. It's not uncommon to see a top 100 jazz albums list from a historian without a single Ahmad Jamal album listed...or "But Not For Me" comes in at #99.

I just feel he doesn't often get placed in that "1st tier" and he deserves to be imo.

Your name (Tru Blu) reminds me of Tina Brooks' album of the same name. Talk about underrated!

Dec 31, 2007 at 6:26 PM Post #8 of 17
The Rossiter Road album was also done on vinyl. I am wondering how that might sound on the right equipment. I am certain that I have it in a box somewhere.

I have never listened to Rodney Kendrick, Keith Jarrett or Cyrus Chestnut. I will give them a listen. I can remember Oscar Peterson from my wasted youth. My step father played his music. I had no appreciation.

I had no idea that there was a Miles connection to Ahmad Jamal.

How has history treated McCoy Tyner?

Jan 1, 2008 at 5:18 PM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by jaduffy007 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Your name (Tru Blu) reminds me of Tina Brooks' album of the same name. Talk about underrated!

Nice record, indeed. Not what I was thinking about when I chose the name, but a few more folks could stand to hear Tina. (For some reason, the last couple of days I've been playing his equally obscure labelmate Hank Mobley.) It's really a shame that the list of undervalued jazz cats is so long.

I think the thing about Ahmad Jamal is that his groundbreaking use of space got kind of diminished once others got hold of the idea. Thankfully, Miles Davis always gave Jamal credit, even though, for obvious reasons, Miles' use of space eclipsed just about everything else. (And if you've read anything about Miles Davis, you know that sometimes he could be weird about giving up credit for stuff.)

Now I'm no jazz-piano scholar, but pianistically speaking, I think someone like Bud Powell was influential in a different, and perhaps broader, way than Jamal, but these days what Powell did is so much in the jazz DNA that his music often doesn't seem as groundbreaking as it actually was, either. Not too long ago I had a somewhat idiosyncratic peek at Jamal's popularity, though: I walked into a local bar that sometimes projects videos, films and whatever else on a screen with the sound down, and some of his concert footage from the early '60s was on the screen big as life. The bartender had on '70s funk or something, but you could see random folks in the hub-bub look up at the projection and tell others who it was: "Oh, that's Ahmad Jamal." It didn't seem like a particularly hip crowd or anything, so at first this really surprised me. Then I kinda figured that once you make the pop charts it's like a cycle; somehow, your name will always kinda be in circulation.

Jan 2, 2008 at 4:45 PM Post #10 of 17
During the holidays... I must confess I love "A Charlie Brown Christmas". Otherwise, I'm very generic with Thelonious Monk records, never really hear of the newer jazz artists, although I'll give some of these artists a try.

Jan 2, 2008 at 9:52 PM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Crazy88 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm very generic with Thelonious Monk records,

There is NOTHING generic about Monk! It can be all you need.

Jan 2, 2008 at 10:17 PM Post #12 of 17
I can't choose *one* solo jazz piano recording....but since Thelonious Monk came up, don't miss Walter Davis Jr's album, "In Walked Thelonious". This is my "reference" for Monk compositions on piano.

Jan 5, 2008 at 6:56 PM Post #14 of 17
The Art Tatum solo masterpieces set is the standard for all piano players. It doesn't get better than Tatum. (Although Fats Waller is just as good in his own way.)

See ya
Steve

Jan 5, 2008 at 9:57 PM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by musicmind /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ahmad Jamal'sThe Awakening was the album I got introduced to his music with recently, I'll definitely be exploring more from his extensive discography.

"Awakening" is cool, but check out: "Ahmad Jamal at the Pershing: But Not For Me".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back