Best Isolation/Comfortable Tips for RE0?
Feb 7, 2010 at 10:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

StereoIntegrity

100+ Head-Fier
i have yet to like any of the tips that came with my RE0 and was wondering if there are any tips out there i can buy that you guys like...any help is appreciated
smile_phones.gif

Feb 7, 2010 at 10:18 PM Post #2 of 14
I recently re-tried the Sony Hybrid tips. I "tried" before, but somehow came to the conclusion that they didn't fit, but then tried again... they fit just fine.

They are as comfortable as the stock tips, but provide a better consistent seal in my ears, and have slightly better isolation.

Feb 7, 2010 at 10:22 PM Post #3 of 14
I used decored olives when I had them. T400 also works I heard but never bothered with those.

Feb 7, 2010 at 10:43 PM Post #5 of 14
I found the mid stock tips worked well over the ear, but did not work for me straight down , kept loosing the seal. The IEM is upside down when over the ear and i find there is better fit this way.
Do you wear the RE0s over the ear ?

Feb 8, 2010 at 12:59 AM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by paulypaul /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I found the mid stock tips worked well over the ear, but did not work for me straight down , kept loosing the seal. The IEM is upside down when over the ear and i find there is better fit this way.
Do you wear the RE0s over the ear ?

when on the bus heck ya....im gonna use the mid stock tips for just one more week and if i dont like them i will move on

Feb 8, 2010 at 4:01 AM Post #7 of 14
Olive tips are tricky for isolation because the olive may not fit snugly on the bore and leak sound (mine do if the fit isn't right). I used hybrids for a while and found that the small center reduced the bass, forcing me to turn up my music louder (not good).

Of all the tips I've used, my two favorites are the stock single flange mid size and cut up earplugs. The single flange are slightly more comfortable IMO than the hybrids, and because of the wider bore they retain all the bass.

The earplugs are fantastic; I was already thinking about trying when I read a thread here about people doing the same thing and decided to try. Fit is finnicky, and they're the hardest tips I've ever had to stretch around, but totally worth it. With a good seal, the sound is somewhere between the warmth of the olives/foam tips, but because the the foam doesn't cover the sound/filter almost at all, you can still hear the highs. Soundstage is a bit reduced compared to silicone, but infinitely more enjoyable and intimate. I still use the single flange when on the move for convenience, but otherwise I use the earplugs.

I can post pics if you want.

Feb 8, 2010 at 4:19 AM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by semisight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The earplugs are fantastic; I was already thinking about trying when I read a thread here about people doing the same thing and decided to try. Fit is finnicky, and they're the hardest tips I've ever had to stretch around, but totally worth it. With a good seal, the sound is somewhere between the warmth of the olives/foam tips, but because the the foam doesn't cover the sound/filter almost at all, you can still hear the highs. Soundstage is a bit reduced compared to silicone, but infinitely more enjoyable and intimate. I still use the single flange when on the move for convenience, but otherwise I use the earplugs.

I can post pics if you want.

I'd like to see some pics. I put the plastic core of my T400s into standard earplugs, but it looks a bit of a mess. I'd like to see what plugs you are using and how neat they are ? It might give me a few ideas on my next attempt.
smily_headphones1.gif
Thanks

Feb 8, 2010 at 4:49 AM Post #10 of 14
I love the Sony hybrid tips on mine! I was about to give up on them for poor fit, but I get an easy, solid seal quickly every time I put them in. They're great.

Feb 8, 2010 at 4:51 AM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by kunalraiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wanted to compare the mid single flange vs the large bi-flange,any differences.

I find no difference in sq between the single mid and bi flanges.
I do find the bi flanges are a bit of a squeeze so i prefer the mid singles.

Do you still have your cmoy amp "kunalraiker" ? Have you tried your RE0s with the cmoy ? If so what is your impression ? I am thinking of getting one (one with bass boost)
L3000.gif

Feb 8, 2010 at 5:17 AM Post #12 of 14
Photos of the tips:

EDIT: Ack! Pics are too large! Links instead:

Image - TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting

The big guys are the ends of the earplugs; they are just a tad longer then the RE0 bore and are hence easy to put on. The smaller longer ones are more comfortable; because they're longer, they balloon off the end of the RE0, which protects my ears from touching the hard metal casing of the IEM. Also, they're extremely hard to put on. One must first (re)punch the hole (I punched it with the RE0 3.5mm jack) to open it up, and while the plug is on the jack compress to a pancake. Then, you have to lay the RE0 face up on a table, and stretch the hole around the bore. It takes effort, as well as the patience so you don't rip the earplug beyond usability.

Feb 8, 2010 at 5:53 AM Post #13 of 14
Thanks for the pancake tip.

Feb 8, 2010 at 6:01 AM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by paulypaul /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I find no difference in sq between the single mid and bi flanges.
I do find the bi flanges are a bit of a squeeze so i prefer the mid singles.

Do you still have your cmoy amp "kunalraiker" ? Have you tried your RE0s with the cmoy ? If so what is your impression ? I am thinking of getting one (one with bass boost)
L3000.gif

I haven't, the cmoy hasn't been used for anything more then 15 mins overall, as I got it at the same time as my D4.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back