Best iPod speaker/dock
May 15, 2008 at 12:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Rman3008

Head-Fier
Hey guys,

I'm not sure if this question belongs in this particular forum, but it made sense to me.

Anyway, I'm in the market for some speakers with an iPod dock. I don't necessary need the dock to be portable; it would certainly help, but I will most likely keep the dock in the same room. The only requirement really is that it produces the best SQ possible and a good amount of bass. In terms of price range, I'd like something reasonably priced, but I have a pretty open price range. Also, it needs to be compatible with the iPod Touch and preferably with the iPhone.

If anyone has any really positive experiences with particular sound docks, please share your experiences and make my experience a little easier.

Thanks guys.

May 15, 2008 at 5:07 PM Post #2 of 9
Why not just buy a dock of your choice (lots of good ones there, and some with remote control), and plug the best powered speakers of your choice into it? This will be a far better sounding combo than any all-in-one powered iPod system

If you MUST buy a iPod speaker, then the B&W Zeppelin is what I like, but you would be way better off getting something like a Audioengine A5, or a set of Blue Sky EXO 2.1 speakers (if you don't mind three piece). Both are under $400. These would be the sweet spot for a good entry level system

May 15, 2008 at 5:56 PM Post #3 of 9
A few months back I checked out what Future Shop, Best Buy, and the Apple Store had to offer, and wound up buying a clearance demo store sample of Apple's own speakers which are unfortunately discontinued. I liked it so much, that I bought a second one, used off of ebay for $125 .... where there's a chance more could be found. To me, it had more bass, and played louder without distortion than all of the dozen or so other offerings I auditioned.

As an added bonus, it runs on batteries as well as the AC cord ( no wallwart involved) that comes with it.

Read about it here: Awesome iPod Speakers - Apple iPod Hi-Fi - Reviews by PC Magazine

EDIT: I don't know if it's compatible with the latest generation Ipod offerings however.

May 16, 2008 at 12:38 AM Post #4 of 9
May 17, 2008 at 3:56 AM Post #6 of 9
hey guys,

Thanks for the responses. I should have prefaced by saying that I have no speakers and am only intending on spending $100 to $150. Additionally, this set-up is just for the summer and I really don't want to deal with speakers at this point. For now, I'm just looking for a dock with decent quality.

I've looked around and narrowed the choice down to two: Mirage Omnivibe and iLive Sound Bar.

Mirage Omnivibe has already been recommended quite highly.

However, the iLive Sound Bar is newer and, after hearing it for myself, it sounds pretty good.

Mirage: Amazon.com: Mirage OmniVibe OMNIPOLAR Dock & Sound System for iPod: Electronics

iLive: iLive - 2.1 Channel Bar Speaker with Dock for iPod® #IHT3817DT

Let me guys know what you think.

May 22, 2008 at 2:54 AM Post #7 of 9
Contact warrior05 ,a member here. You have to see his wood LODs his company puts out!!!

May 22, 2008 at 4:33 AM Post #8 of 9

Users who are viewing this thread

Back