Best iPod EQ setting for ipod default headphones?
Aug 13, 2008 at 6:59 PM Post #18 of 25
Rockbox the Ipod and recycle those stock buds.

Aug 13, 2008 at 7:16 PM Post #19 of 25
I've found most of the EQ settings either distort or just sound terrible.

That said, if you're listening through the stock iPod headphones, you might as well be listening to an overlay of nails on a chalkboard on your music for all you're going to hear.

Aug 13, 2008 at 8:04 PM Post #20 of 25
Yeh, the Apple iPod EQ's cause clipping which causes bad sound
frown.gif

Aug 14, 2008 at 12:41 AM Post #21 of 25
Unless they've changed it since the 3G ipods and it doesn't sound like they have, the ipod EQ causes digital clipping. This is not dangerous but does sound very bad and will be easily detectable on any headphones.

If you really want to EQ your ipod you have two main options. The first is to only use the settings that cut rather than boost frequencies. There should be treble and bass reducer settings, but i'm not sure about any others.

The other option is to use MP3gain on your files to reduce the overall volume level. This will allow the digital EQ in the ipod to funtion without pushing the music into clipping. I've never used this method myself, so you would have to figure it out for yourself, but ilounge might have some info.

Jul 18, 2009 at 9:03 PM Post #22 of 25
I keep the EQ set to Rock on my Nano. I'm using Sennheiser MX-160's, and don't notice any distortion at all, just fuller bass and brighter highs. However, with the stock iBuds (aside from being awful anyway) the Rock setting distorted them like crazy.

Jul 18, 2009 at 9:49 PM Post #23 of 25
Just get rid of the ibuds - there are plenty of headphones to be had in the $30 range or so (or even less). As far as the EQ goes, it's pretty bad all around. I used to use the treble boost on mine, but it caused fatigue when listening to it for more than a few songs. EQs are to cut frequencies, not to boost them.

Jul 21, 2009 at 3:12 PM Post #25 of 25
Three great suggestions on this thread that I agree with:

First; play it flat. Not acoustic; literally off.

Second, try MP3 gain at 89 setting. Removes some clipping from many mp3 files.

Third....yeah...ipod headphones are really not up to snuff.
Plenty of good choices...many discussed here!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back