Best Ipod Dock/DAC for the money?
Sep 23, 2013 at 10:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Xprime4

100+ Head-Fier
Hi there,

i'm only using my ipod in my bed setup with consist of a matrix m-stage powering a hd650 set. I'm using a good quality  ipod dock out to rca to transfer the signal between the ipod and the amp

I'd like to invest into a DAC but i'll still be using my ipod as my bedtime media source. A docking station that bypass the ipod dac and has one itself should fit the bill
does it exist :wink:
which one would make a good difference and how would it compare to a USB DAC ?

Any other suggestions? would a better amp just be a better investment?

Sep 23, 2013 at 11:09 PM Post #2 of 4
  Hi there,

I'm only using my iPod in my bed setup with consist of a matrix m-stage powering a hd650 set. I'm using a good quality  iPod dock out to RCA to transfer the signal between the iPod and the amp
I'd like to invest into a DAC but I'll still be using my iPod as my bedtime media source. A docking station that bypass the iPod DAC and has one itself should fit the bill
does it exist :wink:
which one would make a good difference and how would it compare to a USB DAC ?
Any other suggestions? would a better amp just be a better investment?

I believe HRT makes a DAC that works with the iPod (HRT iStreamer) think is costs around $230.

Otherwise an LOD cable to run from the iPod's LOD port to the line input on the Matrix m-stage is around $10.

Sep 24, 2013 at 6:44 AM Post #3 of 4
Yup i've got an LOD cable to rca as now (cable cost like 60$) , but i need to upgrade something (upgradis sickness i guess)

Is the HTR worth it, how does it compare to a 230$ standalone DAC?

Sep 25, 2013 at 8:46 AM Post #4 of 4
Other idea would be to replace the ipod by another 'portable' source ( pretty much anything that ain't a laptop or computer) and that i could chnage song while being half asleep. I'd prefer if  it bypass the internal amp so i can use the matrix m-stage (rca or usb dac... no sure it'S great)

any suggestion in the 300-500$ area?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back