Best iPhone Games
May 19, 2012 at 9:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

sphinxvc

Headphoneus Supremus
iPhone games--so far I have tried Infinity Blade, IB II, Minimotor, Cut the Rope, Pandemic, Oregon Trail and Ski Safari.  After IB and Minimotor, I've realized the iPhone can be pretty serious when it comes to gaming.  It has the firepower to support better graphics than say, a PS1, and IB has shown there can be real depth to the story and engaging gameplay when it's done right.

So what am I missing from my list?  Are there any sleepers out there?  I would imagine it's a perfect platform for an RTS but I don't see many highly rated ones.

So far I would have to rate them this way:

IB & IB II
Minimotor
Ski Safari
Cut the Rope & Pandemic
Oregon Trail

May 19, 2012 at 10:28 PM Post #3 of 32
I've enjoyed Chaos Rings and Lego Harry Potter because while they're easily less pretty than Infinity Blade, the gameplay has (for me, anyway, a supercasual gamer) a console feel that sometimes allows me to forget that I'm playing a game on my phone.

I also play Homerun Battle when I'm waiting for the kids to quit screwing around and go to sleep. Lots of Homerun Battle. I think there's a sequel now, but I haven't checked it out. But the gameplay design is the opposite; it is, to me, the representative feel of an iOS game.

Jul 3, 2012 at 6:56 PM Post #6 of 32
How has no one mentioned CAVE shooters yet? 

Easily the best games on iOS, IMO. 

http://www.cave-world.com/en/games/

Heads up though, these games get tough. They're some of my favorite games of all time and while I was skeptical of the iOS platform at first, they actually play better here than in the arcades.

Jul 5, 2012 at 6:01 PM Post #10 of 32
Here's what's on my iPod Touch atm:

Bejeweled 2 (6/10): Mindless fun to play when you only have a couple seconds/minutes.  A staple for sure but not a must-have.

Bookworm (10/10): My absolute favorite casual game ever for any system.  Super addictive, requires some mental and lingual prowess, and is great for just about any age.  No joke: I have my entire extended family including ages from 16yo to 60+ and they're even bigger fans than me now.  The way achievements and bonuses work is really cool too.

Canabalt (7/10): An 'endless' hi-score oriented game where you see how far you can run without dying.  Great sound design and nice tight gameplay but the game gets really tough and quite frustrating very quickly.

Drop 7 (8/10): Great arcade/puzzle game - like a more intellectually involved Bejeweled.  Make no mistake, this is a very tough game that takes a while to get the hang of but it's worth the effort.

Sudoku (by EA) (8/10): Simply the best (for-pay) version of Sudoku I've found with a great UI and some really cool features.

Sword & Sworcery EP (8/10):  I've only just started this game but so far it has been very fun and it looks/sounds absolutely gorgeous.  A rare high quality action-adventure game on iOS - comes at a price premium though.

Jul 5, 2012 at 6:10 PM Post #11 of 32
Subscribed and x2 on Infinity Blade I/II

Was addicted to NBA Jams for iPhone for a good period of time.  Maybe more for nostalgia than anything.

Jul 7, 2012 at 2:56 AM Post #12 of 32
Ghost Trick definitely has an iOS version. Everybody should play that game to completion-the plot really picks up on Chapter 6 and does not let go.

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney also has an iOS version for sure, though I don't know if the later two games in the Phoenix arc were ported over yet. (I do recall reading something about an Ace Attorney 1+2+3 HD being in the works, though.) Regardless, it's very much worth playing through as well.

(Can you tell I've become a Shu Takumi fan yet?)

Also, there should be a Final Fantasy Tactics port out there, the sort of game which touchscreen-only controls should not be a hindrance in the slightest.

Jul 10, 2012 at 9:33 AM Post #14 of 32
Quote:
Honestly, I hate playing games on my iPhone, the only one that I can get myself to play on a normal basis is Ski Safari.

That's my "quickie" game of choice too.

Quote:
How has no one mentioned CAVE shooters yet? 

Easily the best games on iOS, IMO. 

http://www.cave-world.com/en/games/

Heads up though, these games get tough. They're some of my favorite games of all time and while I was skeptical of the iOS platform at first, they actually play better here than in the arcades.

I'll have to try this at some point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back