Best Interconnect - $50-$100.00 ???
Oct 25, 2002 at 3:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Nightfall

Headphoneus Supremus
Hello again,

I've done a LOT of research reading the past threads on this topic here. Many of you think the Outlaw PCA's are a great value and it seems to be your clear recommendation at or near the $50.00 price point per pair. Because I have learned a great deal of respect for many of you here in this forum, in my time here, this is significant to me.
I need a pair of good quality interconnects for my headphone system consisting of a Corda HA-1 (currently being modded into a Blue by Kurt W) and my Sony XA20ES cd player. These feed my DT931's. I only need .5 meters (since one sits atop the other) and am all ready to order up some Outlaws. One last question......
if it was justified, I COULD spend $100.00...........is there anything that would be substantially better at that price point? Otherwise, the Outlaws are a done deal.
Your opinions, suggestions, recommendations and overall wisdom would be appreciated. Thanks.

JC

Oct 25, 2002 at 4:41 PM Post #4 of 9
If you go DIY, I like the Silver Sonic BL-1 better than the Outlaw PCA. That does not mean it's a better cable, It just means I like it more.

Oct 25, 2002 at 6:02 PM Post #5 of 9
Of course Jon Risch at the Asylum will probably suggest the Belden 89259 cable w/some good quality connectors. I myself have not heard this particular cable, but will probably end up buying some later. The only place I know that you can buy the stuff by the foot is http://www.takefiveaudio.com/belden_89259.htm - it's $2.25/ft or $1.99/ft if you buy over 100 ft of the stuff. With some good quality connectors, comes out to anywhere between $20 - $50 per .5 meter pair (reasonably priced connectors).

I'm trying a different route myself that some have had good success with. Not sure how these compare to any other cables either (except that most say that the 89259 is better), but the Canare GS-6 guitar cable as interconnect cable with decent connectors. You can actually buy pre-made cables with this stuff... they run about $30 for .5m I think. I just ordered about 50 ft of cable and a whole bunch of Canare F-10 connectors. Hopefully this will be good enough for me. I have the Outlaw PCA's to compare them to as well. You can order this stuff from www.markertek.com

Oct 25, 2002 at 7:56 PM Post #6 of 9
The Bolder Type I cable (commercial version of Risch's Belden 89259) is in that price range and I like it slightly better than the Outlaws. I made the cable DIY with next-to-the-top-of-the-line Cardas Rhodium/Silver RCAs and it sounds very good. I found it more neutral than the Outlaws, with slightly more details and better instrument separation. I like both a lot and use the Risch at work and the Outlaws at home where they match my system a little better. One of the great things about the Risch recipe is how quick and easy it is to make. It takes less than an hour and doesn't require any fiddly braiding or wrapping.

Oct 26, 2002 at 1:55 AM Post #7 of 9
Heh... yeah slindeman... that's what I'm talking about. That's why I recently moved to the Canare cable. Hopefully it will work out for my tastes... if not, on to the Belden.

Oct 26, 2002 at 3:08 PM Post #9 of 9
The Homegrown Audio Silver Lace is around $100 in used condition (on Audiogon). That is rumoured to be an excellent cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back