Best INTEGRATED amp w/ headphone jack?
Jun 20, 2007 at 5:43 PM Post #16 of 18
I think the tough part is the integrated MC amp. Your best bet is going vintage.
I have the Yamaha and the Luxman. They are pretty good.

If you go the preamp route, you'll have a lot more choices.

Jun 22, 2007 at 1:51 PM Post #17 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Minimauled /img/forum/go_quote.gif
NVA responded back with this answer, fyi:

3. Ability to switch betw. 3 sets of speakers
*You will have to be more specific with this question. Switched individually or used in conjunction.

You didn't reply so I will elaborate here.

If only one set of speakers is used at once then the load to the amplifier remains the same. All you need then is a switch to switch between them and the space on the back of the amp box for three sets of terminals, which the larger integrateds have. If used in conjunction then you have two choices series or parallel. Series adds the impedances of the speaker loads accumalatively and parallel deducts them. Series switching is a pain in the butt and voltage gain will drop due to load impedance increase across the amp. Parallel wiring and switching is a lot easier but you could end up with a situation that the load is so low that it causes the amp stress and also can create a voltage gain drop as the amp runs out of current capability. Also the amp will get very hot with driving three sets at once.

So it depends on the speakers, 3 sets of nominally 4 ohm speakers in parallel will present a 1 ohm nominal load which the amp definitely will not like.

Richard

Jun 23, 2007 at 6:11 PM Post #18 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard Dunn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You didn't reply so I will elaborate here.

If only one set of speakers is used at once then the load to the amplifier remains the same. All you need then is a switch to switch between them and the space on the back of the amp box for three sets of terminals, which the larger integrateds have. If used in conjunction then you have two choices series or parallel. Series adds the impedances of the speaker loads accumalatively and parallel deducts them. Series switching is a pain in the butt and voltage gain will drop due to load impedance increase across the amp. Parallel wiring and switching is a lot easier but you could end up with a situation that the load is so low that it causes the amp stress and also can create a voltage gain drop as the amp runs out of current capability. Also the amp will get very hot with driving three sets at once.

So it depends on the speakers, 3 sets of nominally 4 ohm speakers in parallel will present a 1 ohm nominal load which the amp definitely will not like.

Richard

Thanks for that. I want to have the ability of using three sets of speakers at a time. If an integrated has this function, what info about that amp do I need to then decide what specs the speakers should be?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back