Best INTEGRATED amp w/ headphone jack?
Jun 17, 2007 at 8:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Minimauled

100+ Head-Fier
Here's a fun puzzle. For my second system I'm looking for an integrated amp with a headphone jack as well as the following requirements:

1. Contains a phono stage (MC preferred)

2. Can switch between three sets of speakers

3. Tubes preferred but SS ok.

I'm finding some amps like this, especially the older ones like McIntosh, Luxman and Accuphase but I don't know whether the headphone amps inside are any good. I love the headphone jack on my Cary 300SEI immensely but it doesn't have the other features I need.

Any thoughts?

P.S. I could be persuaded to go with an amp/preamp combo as long as the units were meant to go together (I.E. same manufacturer) ...looks are a big issue for this second system.

Jun 17, 2007 at 8:33 PM Post #2 of 18
You might try NVA I don't think they have exactly what you're looking for but you could talk to the owner, Richard Dunn, about something customized. I don't know if he'd be into doing something like that or not.

EDIT: I should note that their headamp is pretty good and from understanding can now be included in any of their amps and tweaked to work with either high or low impedances.

Jun 17, 2007 at 8:46 PM Post #4 of 18
Elnero, have you ever heard NVA? I checked out the site and sent an email. Thanks.

Infinite...yeah, I don't know why I want it all-in-one. I'm just weird. I may change my mind but want to make sure i'm not overlooking something. But you're probably right, why not open up my options?

Jun 17, 2007 at 8:51 PM Post #5 of 18
Yes, I've heard the NVA stuff on a couple of occasions, unfortunately I don't have much of a frame of reference to give you any comparisons though because I never got to compare them directly with anything.

NVA is actually a company that was around a few years back and fairly highly regarded, Richard Dunn got out of the business for a few years ago but has come back offering the NVA designs through the eBay store.

Jun 17, 2007 at 9:51 PM Post #6 of 18
NVA responded back with this answer, fyi:

1. Headphone jack
*Yes extra £20
2. MC phono stage
*Yes extra £100
3. Ability to switch betw. 3 sets of speakers
*You will have to be more specific with this question. Switched individually or used in conjunction.

Jun 17, 2007 at 10:04 PM Post #7 of 18
If you need a mp3 player, the best integrated amps are by far those of Kenwood HD10GB7 and HD30GB9.
They are very discussed in the Portable Audio forum, and don't need an external amp to sound like heaven. Good luck.

Jun 17, 2007 at 10:10 PM Post #8 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Minimauled /img/forum/go_quote.gif
NVA responded back with this answer, fyi:

1. Headphone jack
*Yes extra £20
2. MC phono stage
*Yes extra £100
3. Ability to switch betw. 3 sets of speakers
*You will have to be more specific with this question. Switched individually or used in conjunction.

Nice, from the sound of that it's looks like they'll be able to do what you're looking for, just a matter of cost.
smily_headphones1.gif
If you do go the NVA route please keep me informed, I'll be interested to hear your impressions.

Jun 20, 2007 at 3:07 AM Post #11 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the cary looks awesome. it makes me think of the zana deux, which is an amazing amp. would love to hear the cary someday.

The cary IS amazing. I have it but it doesn't have the features I want for my second system. The cary i have is especially beautiful with a black face and blue chassis. I prefer it to everything I've heard so far including (in some ways but not all) a full out singlepower ES-1 w/ HE90. Yup, I said it.

Jun 20, 2007 at 3:14 AM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Minimauled /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here's a fun puzzle. For my second system I'm looking for an integrated amp with a headphone jack as well as the following requirements:

1. Contains a phono stage (MC preferred)

2. Can switch between three sets of speakers

3. Tubes preferred but SS ok.

I'm finding some amps like this, especially the older ones like McIntosh, Luxman and Accuphase but I don't know whether the headphone amps inside are any good. I love the headphone jack on my Cary 300SEI immensely but it doesn't have the other features I need.

Any thoughts?

P.S. I could be persuaded to go with an amp/preamp combo as long as the units were meant to go together (I.E. same manufacturer) ...looks are a big issue for this second system.

Take a look at Portal Panache. These go for about 1000USD on Audiogon but rarely come up for sale.

Jun 20, 2007 at 4:50 AM Post #13 of 18
that Cary does look amazing. Do they really print their name on the tubes?

Jun 20, 2007 at 4:58 PM Post #15 of 18
the cary does everything very well -- highly regarded on this board.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back