Best In-Ear Monitors for under $150
Aug 18, 2008 at 6:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

JohnJohnson

New Head-Fier
I'm looking for the best in-ear monitors under $150. I'd be okay with spending $200, but would rather spend $150 or less. I'm looking for a set of monitors that can cut out my drumming enough that I don't need to crank the speakers, and something that I can listen to through an iPod and still get a good sound. And I'm going to be out of the country for 3 weeks and will be flying a lot during that time (at least 30 hours worth), so I'll need something that's comfortable and can block out plane noise well. It looks like the best in that price range are the Shure SCL2 and SCL3, the M-Audio-IE-20-XB, and the M-Audio IE-10. What would you guys recommend?

Aug 18, 2008 at 6:37 PM Post #2 of 23
And also, I plan on using them with an iPhone, iPod, and my computer (for when I'm drumming). I listen to mainly fusion and progressive rock/metal like ELP, Yes, and Tool, but also listen to metal, jazz, fusion, and nearly every genre except rap. So I'll need a monitor that doesn't lack bass.

Aug 18, 2008 at 8:53 PM Post #4 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by younglee200 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the new super.fi 5 is ~200 bucks

Also, I'm only looking at things Musiciansfriend are selling because they're giving it to me for cost.

Aug 18, 2008 at 10:07 PM Post #7 of 23
I'm extremely satisfied with the isolation and quality of Etymotic ER4P. They are $169 in Amazon, but if you pay with Bill Me Later you save $20 off. Also you can convert them to ER4S later with a cable. Check my thread about it:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f103/w...lators-344101/

Aug 19, 2008 at 1:39 AM Post #9 of 23
The problem is that none of those are sold on Musiciansfriend.com. I've talked to some people and have heard nothing but bad about the M-Audio, so I'm leaning towards the Shure. There doesn't seem to be a big difference between the SCL3 and SCL4 other than extra bass on the SCL4. Has anyone tried these two? And is the bass on the SCL3 sufficient for the music I listen to? There's not a big difference in price either, the SCL3's are going to be around $80 and the SCL's are going to be around $120. Here's the list of my possible choices:

Musician's Friend - Search Results

Aug 19, 2008 at 4:21 AM Post #11 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnJohnson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And how are the other M-Audio earphones, like the IE-20 and IE-30?

The IE-20 is just a rebranded Ultimate Ears super.fi 5 EB. The IE-30 should be the same as the super.fi 5 pro (NOT the new, slim version).

Aug 19, 2008 at 5:30 AM Post #12 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by kjk1281 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The IE-20 is just a rebranded Ultimate Ears super.fi 5 EB. The IE-30 should be the same as the super.fi 5 pro (NOT the new, slim version).

How's the quality of the M-Audio compared to Shure?

Aug 19, 2008 at 5:42 AM Post #13 of 23
different kettle of fish...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back