Best In ear headphones for this budget
May 4, 2009 at 7:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Sinty

100+ Head-Fier
I have a portability problem, I got the ATHpro5MS camo set and they are amazing too, but they are way too bulky and heavy for me. I think I will have to go with a great in ear set

I am not sure what to go with though, the Bose for $99.99, along with the Shure ( but which one jeez there are so many ) and if the Monster Dr. Dre in ears are as nice as the over the ears, I'll bump up to 150 just for those. But are there any other models out there I should be looking at? Bass isnt really important but of course I want some kick, with a very rich deep sounding experience from in ears.

Any suggestions?

May 4, 2009 at 10:46 AM Post #4 of 21
if you arent that fussed ion bass, then you can totally forget about the dr dre models; they are overtblown bass monsters. for $150 you could almost get Phonaks and with the great prices gettiong around at the moment on Sennheiser IE7 I would think they would be the ones for you.

May 4, 2009 at 12:42 PM Post #5 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
if you arent that fussed ion bass, then you can totally forget about the dr dre models; they are overtblown bass monsters.

Once again people are talking outta their ass and assuming stuff because of their association. I don't like the Beats either, mainly because they're overpriced but I try to be objective about stuff and actually read up on a product if I don't have it myself from people who've actually tried it. Being a Member of the Trade too also implies a tad of unprofessionalism.
The ones the OP is probably talking about is either the Monster Turbines or the Monster Tour Beats. The Monster Turbines are praised well here for their price to performance ratio. See the 15+ page appreciation thread. Many people are objective here (unlike you) and don't care who it's made by / associated with. Not much info on the Tour Beats however here.

The Turbines you can get as low as US$105 making it the best performance to price ratio for around US$100 atm believe it or not.
If this was made by an 'audiophile' brand, people would be jumping all over this.

May 4, 2009 at 3:30 PM Post #7 of 21
My budget is up to 120 bucks like i said, but if the NEW Monster Tours are as incredible as the over the ear versions, I will beg for another 30 bucks to buy those. Because I was extremely impressed not only with the Bass from Dre's brand, but the overall SQ. It was demoed at Best Buy right next to the Bose, and they literally crushed it. They were bulky ya but still they crushed the Bose like no tomarrow in every way. I HOPED the new ear buds were amazing and beat the bose as well. If so, I will try to get them...

the new in ears are listed on bestbuy for 150 bucks. I guess I have a COMFORT and portability issue. If they are not VERY comfy, I dont want em.

May 4, 2009 at 3:47 PM Post #8 of 21
My suggestion would be to look into the RE-0s for 170 at head-direct.

I think they're amazing phone for the price and there are a good amount of reviews about them on this forum.

I haven't tried the Turbines but I also hear they're great for their price-range.

May 4, 2009 at 3:49 PM Post #9 of 21
Sinty, I have never heard the in ears, but the Dr Dre over the ears sound more like sub 100 dollar headphones. I litterally pissed everyone off at my local best buy, and listened to them for 3 hrs. They finally told me to get off and buy them or they would get security. The bass is so inaccurate its not even funny. It feels like having ghetto blasters right in your ear. Not to mention they are muddy as hell. I think the Bose In Ear imo isn't that terrible, but I would never pay 100 bucks for them. I feel they are like 60~70 headphones, but still would get out performed by some cheaper headphones, maybe look at the RE series by head direct? The PFE's are prob your best bet, though I have never heard the turbines. Personally I use the Shure 210's amped, but I am an odd ball as everyone says they suck for the price. Really you should see if you can try out a bunch of headphones/IEMs to see what kind of sound you like, then come back here.

May 4, 2009 at 4:24 PM Post #10 of 21
Ya I plan to do just that. People say it is either Bose or Monster. The Shure and other brands for my price range are not top tier. I have to go to best buy and hope they have the buds on demo. If the monsters are in fact muddy with bass, I am sure a simply EQ change would clear that up? I mean, my Audio Technicas are thumping as well and when I customize my EQ settings on my sansa, it clears things up a lot. As I said HARD CORE THUMPING BASS is not what i want, but i do some some nice bass, but not BLOW YOUR HEAD OFF bass like the monster over the ears have, was hoping the ear buds had a nice balance

since they are rated better than the bose, all I can do is hope to get to demo them soon. :[ ty for the help everyone

May 4, 2009 at 10:38 PM Post #11 of 21
May 4, 2009 at 10:42 PM Post #12 of 21
A pair of used Bose in-ear is around $45 (well, in Toronto anyways), sold locally on Kijiji or craiglist. Look around.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 4, 2009 at 10:44 PM Post #13 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by xkRoWx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A pair of used Bose in-ear is around $45 (well, in Toronto anyways), sold locally on Kijiji or craiglist. Look around.
smily_headphones1.gif

Still rather get a new Nuforce NE-7M or a new Apple In-Ear Headphone (ADDIEM) at that price tbh.

May 5, 2009 at 2:56 AM Post #14 of 21
^ I dont know about that...

people say that it sounds MUDDY because you cant really set your own EQ on an Ipod. I use a Sansa sandisk e280. I can set EQ to my liking and they say if you dip the bass down, it clears up and sounds great.

Why are the Turbines listed on ebay at 120.00 on average but the Tours are listed at 150.00 and there are like 2 auctions for them. Meh...Are the turbines really better than the Tours?

May 5, 2009 at 3:04 AM Post #15 of 21
I agree with chinesekiwi's comments, the Turbines are fighting way above their weight class. I was not expecting much considering 1) they were from Monster, 2) they use a dynamic driver, and 3) they were from Monster. However, pleasantly surprised on all fronts, they are the IEMs getting most of my attention right now. Incredibly good value, incredibly great sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back