Best in-ear headphone for 500$
Nov 27, 2011 at 9:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

wsrox

New Head-Fier
Hi i just joined the head-fi because i wanted to hear advices from you guys. I've read lots review about headphones but i can't determine what i should buy. I currently have a Shure se535 but i think the bass is lacking and some of the music doesn't sound right with it. So i am wondering what i should buy.I tried triple fi but it was very uncomfortable and i was thinking of buying ie8 but ie80 is going to come out soon.

I am also thinking about buying a custom earphones. Is there any custom earphones for 500? Should i buy universal or custom.  I listen to almost all genre of music. I love classic but i also love to listen to rock and pop. Any suggestions? Thank you 

Nov 27, 2011 at 9:45 PM Post #2 of 14
I'm new to all this, but based on my Westone UM3X results you may want to consider the Westone 4s (4R out now for replaceable cables). Four balanced armature drivers, one high, one mid, two low.

You can get them on earphonesolutions.com for $450 (fixed cable) and $499 (removable), and with 25% off through the 30th with the coupon code "black". It's also worth noting they're an approved reseller, so the warranty will be good.

Nov 27, 2011 at 10:32 PM Post #4 of 14
Personally, I would hold off on customs until you have nailed down the sound you like.  If you think the SE500's are light on bass, I would skip the Westone W4's as I think they have even less bass.  I think that the UM3X's have more bass presence and separation, but they still might not be enough.  Second on nikp's recommendation to try out some dynamic iem's, and the ones recommended all have excellent credentials.  I currently have the IE8's and they are great, but don't have the best clarity.  If I had to do it all over again, I would probably skip the IE8s and go for the FX700s.

Nov 28, 2011 at 12:06 AM Post #5 of 14
I will recommend to try Sony EX1000+ZO and the new Sony dome type dynamic drivers are amazing to shows hidden details and sound full and immersive. The other IEMs like JVC FX700, IE80 are also recommended and they are detailed with great bass response.

Nov 28, 2011 at 12:20 AM Post #6 of 14
At $500 you could conceivably get any universal.  However, I think I'd go for and get a custom.

Nov 28, 2011 at 9:47 AM Post #7 of 14
Thanks. Well i think i will go for the dynamic iem. Between FX700 and EX1000, which one is better or how is it different? And aim not sure where to purchase those earphones online. And KimChee, what custom do you recommend? 

Nov 28, 2011 at 10:12 AM Post #8 of 14
Another important thing to take into consideration is that the ex1000 and fx700 have little to no isolation 

Nov 28, 2011 at 7:51 PM Post #10 of 14
Thank you! I have been thinking about purchasing fx700 but I do need the sound isolation so I think I won't go with dynamic iem s. 1964 ears seem very durable with great SQ but the process seems time consuming. Now I am thinking of buying SM3 or W4. Thanks

Nov 28, 2011 at 8:13 PM Post #12 of 14
The waiting process for a custom is well worth it considering the durability, SQ, and longevity of the IEM. I highly recommend a custom if you can wait because as good as a top tier universal can be, it will never be as good/comfortable as a pair of customs. 

Nov 28, 2011 at 10:06 PM Post #14 of 14
That looks like a good deal. Stay808, do you know how long it takes for me to receive the custom earphones? I am getting so confused at what I should  buy :frowning2: There are just way too many excellent in-ear headphones. I was finally thinking of buying Westone 4r but then, most reviews states that Shure se535 actually sounds more lively. What should I do?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back