Best in class *earbuds* that let sound in? Odd request?!
Oct 9, 2009 at 10:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

RagingForces

Head-Fier
I am in the market for some earbuds for work. I need them to be earbuds and not IEM's because I cannot stand things in my ear canal.

I find earbuds are better at letting sound in from the outside world vs IEM as well. This is important because I listen at somewhat low volume from my Cowon S9/Laptop and need to hear communication going on in the office.

I'm looking for the best candidates that can work with the following requirements ranked in order of importance:
  • Must let plenty of outside sound IN!
  • Real world price USD $150 or less.
  • Comfortable but easy to take in and out of ears several times per day.
  • Outstanding with heavy metal and speed metal (speed and detail is important)
  • Fantastic with hard rock (good mids and bass for crunchyness)
  • Great with jazz (great treble detail and quality)
  • Good with alternative rock (311 or Incubus for example)

Oct 9, 2009 at 10:38 PM Post #2 of 11
Many of the attributes that you list, including openness to outside sounds, will be found in the best Audio Technica Earbuds. The one detail that I think you wont find in them is "good [. . .] bass for crunchyness." They can have very fine snapping, clacking, smacking, impactful upper-bass after they've been burned in, and they have very fine mids, but they'll always be bass-shy. Ath-CM7, CM700, CM700TI

There are some remarkably good Sony earbuds as well that have something of the AT-airiness but more bass. And that is merely my opinion; I'm not an expert, and have limited experience of the many flavors of in-ears.

Oct 10, 2009 at 1:12 AM Post #3 of 11
Head Direct OK2 are very detailed with wide soundstage and good bass........

Oct 10, 2009 at 2:05 AM Post #5 of 11
I love my Yuin PK1's! No problem hearing what's going on outside, great sound with good attack speed (I listen to a lot of thrash, hardcore, death and they have no trouble with double bass, everything is crisp) and you can get them new for around $150. I've seen them for sale on head-fi for around $110.

Oct 10, 2009 at 3:17 PM Post #7 of 11
First I want to say thank you for all the responses.

It is coming down to the following earbuds:
  1. ATH-CM7 SV Aluminum
  2. ATH-CM700ti Titanium
  3. Sony MDR-EX500LP

It appears that the CM7 and EX500 are both warm sounding, while the 700ti focuses on detail. I may lean towards the 700ti considering I will be listening at low volume.

One area I do appreciate is the cord on the CM7. It looks nearly bombproof, and I do wonder how well the 700ti's cord will hold up.

I also like how the Audio Technica earbuds just rest in your ears, while the Sony seems to insert a little deeper into the ear.

Oct 10, 2009 at 3:19 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by wantmyf1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I love my Yuin PK1's! No problem hearing what's going on outside, great sound with good attack speed (I listen to a lot of thrash, hardcore, death and they have no trouble with double bass, everything is crisp) and you can get them new for around $150. I've seen them for sale on head-fi for around $110.

I really appreciate the Yuin PK1, but the whole idea of needing to amp them is turning me off. If these were my full-size cans that I'd be using at home it wouldn't bother me much, but I specifically plan to use the earbuds with portables and laptops. A shame I suppose considering the great value to be had in the PK1's sound quality.

Oct 10, 2009 at 4:24 PM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by RagingForces /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I really appreciate the Yuin PK1, but the whole idea of needing to amp them is turning me off. If these were my full-size cans that I'd be using at home it wouldn't bother me much, but I specifically plan to use the earbuds with portables and laptops. A shame I suppose considering the great value to be had in the PK1's sound quality.

Then go with the PK2.

Oct 10, 2009 at 4:28 PM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by RagingForces /img/forum/go_quote.gif

PK2 has really wide soundstage, they don't need AMPs help for more volume and they shows rich details in music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back