Best IEMs under $100?
Jan 3, 2012 at 3:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

geoxile

100+ Head-Fier
That have a V-shaped sound signature. Or balanced is okay too. And please don't say the brainwavz m4. I had a first bad experience and now I'm a little suspicious of my second pair as well, though they haven't had any problems. I'll probably try to sell the 2nd pair since they're nigh-new. So I'm looking for something that sounds good and is durable enough for the daily commute. One I considered is the RE0 but I'm looking for other good examples. Preferably something I can get from a major online retailer like Amazon

Jan 3, 2012 at 7:23 AM Post #2 of 16
Forget the RE0, they are bright. Some might say they are neutral, but I think the treble is there more than the rest of the frequencies, and I don't think there's a living soul that would dare say they are V-shaped. Unfortunately I don't know of anything good enough to actually recommend, but at least I can save you from wasting your time =)

Jan 3, 2012 at 2:34 PM Post #4 of 16

Quote:
Just curios, what was wrong with the M4? Any common build quality issue?
Thinking of getting them myself, but I'm not sure. 

The first one developed static and audio channel imbalances and problems all around. From the looks of it they were related to the 3.5mm connector which looked worn. Honestly I personally question if it was even really gold because it looked more like copper. The problem is the 2nd pair looks a bit worn too, there are a few spots that look worn out and while it's working fine for the moment the quality just doesn't look good to me. I thought it was my DAP at first but I RMA'd the player and got the problem with both the old and new device plus a spare Zune.

Buy at your own risk, but it seems others don't have the same issues as I did.

Jan 3, 2012 at 4:22 PM Post #5 of 16
hi guys

i too need to buy new IEM under 100 dollars. my requirements are as follows:

1. nice all round sound 
2. small as i sleep with the IEMs on many times

at the moment i am using  Sennheiser [size=medium]CX 300-[size=medium]II[/size] Precision and i am very pleased with the sound and the fit too.. [/size]
would love to have something on the same lines but a having better all sound putput

Jan 3, 2012 at 4:36 PM Post #6 of 16
I haven't had any problems with the M4s :p  They are probably one of the best V-shaped sigs I've ever had.  The Dunu Tridents have a slight V-shape with more emphasis on the bass, they are a little more balanced in comparison to the M4s.  If you don't mid digging the mids a little more, the MEE CC51s have a nice v-shaped signature.  The Phonak PFE022s have a v-shape as well with a slight emphasis on the bass (mids become veiled though).  The ThinkSound TS02 have a v-shape with more emphasis on the bass, I would suggest them over the Tridents if you have the cash.  I also hear the new MS01s have v-shape, but only one review has been given (a short one at that). 

Hope this helps, all of the aformentioned are 100 or under currently.  The MS01s retail at 120, but can currently be bought for 100 on ThinkSound's website.

RE0s are not v-shaped, but rather neutral throughout the spectrum.  Although the mids sound recessed in some areas, they really aren't.  This is mainly due to the human hearing curve.

Jan 3, 2012 at 9:50 PM Post #7 of 16

Quote:
I haven't had any problems with the M4s :p  They are probably one of the best V-shaped sigs I've ever had.  The Dunu Tridents have a slight V-shape with more emphasis on the bass, they are a little more balanced in comparison to the M4s.  If you don't mid digging the mids a little more, the MEE CC51s have a nice v-shaped signature.  The Phonak PFE022s have a v-shape as well with a slight emphasis on the bass (mids become veiled though).  The ThinkSound TS02 have a v-shape with more emphasis on the bass, I would suggest them over the Tridents if you have the cash.  I also hear the new MS01s have v-shape, but only one review has been given (a short one at that). 

Hope this helps, all of the aformentioned are 100 or under currently.  The MS01s retail at 120, but can currently be bought for 100 on ThinkSound's website.

RE0s are not v-shaped, but rather neutral throughout the spectrum.  Although the mids sound recessed in some areas, they really aren't.  This is mainly due to the human hearing curve.

What audio players are you using with your M4s? I used a Cowon J3 mainly, two of em >_>

The thinksound MS01s look pretty nice. And they sit right at 99.99 on Amazon which looks good to me. Where can I find this review?

Jan 3, 2012 at 10:41 PM Post #8 of 16
@tinyman, on an unrelated note. Not completely, but anyway.
I saw you mention in another thread that the mic'd M4 had a thinner cable with less microphonics. I assume the other cable is thicker and stronger then? 

Jan 20, 2012 at 3:32 AM Post #12 of 16
I've been using my M1s a lot lately, while the like-new m4s are still sitting in their box. Anyway, can I get some recommendations for balanced IEMs with good detail and separation?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back