Best IEMs for The Pink Floyd Sound under $250 (LiveWires?)
Feb 13, 2008 at 11:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Kuba

Head-Fier
Well, basically the title says it all.

For the purpose of this tread, lets treat Pink Floyd as an individual genre (it really is one in a way), not just a rock band. So if you like rock in general and listen only to a couple of Pink Floyd's well known masterpieces
wink.gif
, please mention it before the actual response.

Source: 5.5G iMod, all files in ALAC, except for The Dark Side of the Moon in wav, just in case
wink.gif

Case (not bough yet): iSkin evo3 ECLIPSE
cool.gif
(the last musical composition from the Dark Side of the Moon, for those of you who didn't get it)
Cable: ALO Audio 22G Cryo
Amp: iBasso T2
Headphones: Sennheiser PX 100

These are the only headphones that I've had so far, so it would be nice if you could refer to them in terms of sound signature when suggesting an IEM. This is what I want from my IEMs:

- of course perfect isolation ("here behind my waaaaall" - sorry, couldn't help myself), which I belive all IEMs at this price range have. I hate it when I'm almost there and a dog starts barking and I don't reach the expected eargasm in the end.

- as little microphonics as possible (they will be used while walking, but not mainly, so I can give it up if other features make up for it)

- as little sticking out as possible (to make leaning possible*; also not absolutely nescessary)

- and finally: perfect sound signature for The Pink Floyd Sound.

I don't have much experience with audiophile grade equipement in general, but my guess is that I'm looking for soundstage (for accurate reproduction of the "soundscapes"), detail and neutrality. I really like my PX 100s for Pink Floyd. Sometimes, while listening to hard rock (Led Zppelin) or during faster moments of Pink Floyd, I feel that they are not fast enough though. That's just a minor issue and might be due to my inexperienced ears. Other bands that I listen to are the already mentioned Led Zeppelin, which is my second favorite band, and progressive rock bands like Jethro Tull and King Crimson. I also like the Beatles and the Eagles.

*- This will be a general IEM question: if you lean against a moving surface, for example while falling asleep on a train, would that cause microphonics?

After reading a lot of threads, I feel like LiveWires are my best choice. Had it not been FMT's problems, I would be almost sure about it. I know that Mr. Diles is a great person to work with and in case of any issues, everything will be fixed, but shipping it back and forth from US to Poland is not a cheap thing.

So, which IEMs are for me?

BTW, does anybody know how much E4's cost at American Techpushers? I've sent them three or four e-mails and got no response. Do they also sell the olives, which are not listed on their webpage?

Sorry for my English, if I made any mistakes.
Thank you in advance

Feb 13, 2008 at 11:58 PM Post #2 of 16
My SF5 Pro sound absolutely amazing with all of Pink Floyd's stuff, and with rock music in general. They do, however, stick out more than other IEMs so they may not be ideal for you. I am thinking about getting a pair of Livewires as well, but I obviously haven't heard them so I can't comment on that.

Have you used IEMs before? From a lot of your questions about microphonics and such, I have a feeling you haven't.. Sometimes people exaggerate when they complain about IEMs, but I think they do a great job of providing quality sound and isolation. Microphonics aren't really a huge issue, they can easily be lessened by messing around with how the cable is positioned. More importantly, I think that most people get used to the microphonics and they stop noticing it, I know I have.

Feb 14, 2008 at 12:45 AM Post #4 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kuba /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Headphones: Sennheiser PX 100

These are the only headphones that I've had so far, so it would be nice if you could refer to them in terms of sound signature when suggesting an IEM.

Intoflatlines, headphones include IEMs. Thanks for the response.

Feb 14, 2008 at 2:49 AM Post #7 of 16
I'm sure Livewires are good too, but I haven't heard them. I'd recommend some SuperFreQs though. I've listened to pretty much the entire Pink Floyd catalog at least twice on mine now, and it sounds amazing. I don't think anyone owns both that could do a comparison, so it's hard to say which is better or worse. I absolutely love my FreQs. The main differences are triple driver FreQs for $189 or dual driver Livewires for $249 and of course the Livewires have a removable cable. I really thought that was going to bother me when I was deciding which to get, but now that I have my FreQs, I'm kinda glad they don't have those big brass connectors on them. The FreQs sit very low in the ear and if you lean on them, you can hardly notice they are there. I recently slept on a plane with them and it was wonderful. In fact, I was listening to Dark Side of the Moon lol. Of course I woke up briefly when the alarm clocks went off inside my head LOL

So a search for FreQ and you will find several threads about them. I think there are 4 or 5 now :p

Lot's of folks are being critical because they can't believe something good can be that cheap, but they are wrong (no offense to those people). FreQs are worth more then they charge for them IMHO.

Feb 14, 2008 at 2:56 AM Post #8 of 16
Kuba -- it wasn't until I read your posting a second time that I realized that English wasn't your first language ... you just write like someone who listens to Pink Floyd on headphones a lot!

Anyway -- they're not widely available (try Roaddog online or through eBay), but worth the effort and any wait: Futuresonics Atrio M5s (black) and M8s (blue). I have Us and Them, Shine on You Crazy Diamond, Wish You Were Here, Comfortably Numb, Time, and several others on the player I use with my Atrios when traveling (actually, an iPod Nano, which is not bassy, but the Atrios do an excellent job of conveying bass and atmosphere ... very good with bassy music, but without sacrificing highs and mids). I listen to lots of other music, from the Beatles to Radiohead, from Al Green to Brian Eno, from Motown to Electronica, and the Future Sonics handle them very well. Check the threads on them, at least, as you search for new 'phones.

I had wanted a pair of Westone UM2s -- those rest very flat within the ears, not sticking out at all, and they're widely praised for comfort, and the braided cords resist microphonics -- but for less than half their cost, I got the Future Sonics. I remain intrigued by the UM2s, but I like the M5s so much that I don't regret not getting the UM2s -- but those would be a more expensive alternative for you, in addition to the M5s/M8s. You could easily lie on your side with the Westones in. The UM1s have a similar form, but the sound is said to be much less impressive than it is with the UM2s.

PS: I like the PX100s, but the Future Sonics do everything three times better, if that helps.

Feb 14, 2008 at 9:44 AM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by intoflatlines /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry, and I missing something here?
confused.gif

What I meant by "These are the only headphones that I've had so far [...]" is that I've never used any other headphones and any IEMs, clip-ons or earbuds.

In English, generally speaking, does the word "headphones" include IEMs? If not, sorry for the confusion.

Feb 14, 2008 at 10:00 AM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

What I meant by "These are the only headphones that I've had so far [...]" is that I've never used any other headphones and any IEMs, clip-ons or earbuds.

In English, generally speaking, does the word "headphones" include IEMs? If not, sorry for the confusion.

In a general way, yes it does.
However, in Head-fi, we use the word in the context of which refer to specific kind of headphones, which is the one with a fullsized headband.
Other kinds (ie. earphones/earbuds, canalphones, IEMs) are all specified when speaking, but they do, all in all, belong to the general collective noun of "headphones".

Feb 16, 2008 at 12:20 PM Post #11 of 16
Since these will be my first IEMs, I guess that "the safest bet" is what I'm looking for. That's why I think I can eliminate SF5 Pro, Atrios (both of them might be to bassy for me) and Etys (a very peculiar sound signature and the least portable from the lot) from my list. It seems like it's all between the LiveWires, SLEEK SA6 and Shures e4 or SE310. Any opinions from the LiveWires' owners?

Feb 16, 2008 at 1:34 PM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

This is what I want from my IEMs:

- of course perfect isolation ("here behind my waaaaall" - sorry, couldn't help myself), which I belive all IEMs at this price range have. I hate it when I'm almost there and a dog starts barking and I don't reach the expected eargasm in the end.

No, Livewires produce less than 'perfect' isolation. Perfect is an ideal and I got better isolation from modified biflange tips on my UM2s. But I didn't get a better overall IEM experience because the Livewires SQ is so much better, and the isolation is still very good.

As I recently posted in the Livewires thread, I'm pretty sure they were rated at 24 or 25db.

Quote:

- as little microphonics as possible (they will be used while walking, but not mainly, so I can give it up if other features make up for it)

Wearing the Livewires cable over the ears produces as little microphonics as any of the best - because it's the best cable for microphonics, as used by Westone and others.
wink.gif

Quote:

- as little sticking out as possible (to make leaning possible*; also not absolutely nescessary)

Fine here, no problems. Can lie on either side whilst listening in bed. Could easilly fall alseep listening (as I'm sure others have done).
rolleyes.gif

Quote:

- and finally: perfect sound signature for The Pink Floyd Sound.

I don't have much experience with audiophile grade equipement in general, but my guess is that I'm looking for soundstage (for accurate reproduction of the "soundscapes"), detail and neutrality. I really like my PX 100s for Pink Floyd. Sometimes, while listening to hard rock (Led Zppelin) or during faster moments of Pink Floyd, I feel that they are not fast enough though.

Livewires deliver what they are fed. If you feed them your high qaulity WAV and ALACS then you'll hear all your equipment can deliver in terms of those files. In terms of speed I'm used to electrostatics - Livewires are my only non-electrostatic and, although they don't match they are certainly no slouch - and I'd suggest that really I'm comparing my very good portable system overall to my electrostatic systems.

The closest I can get is same source, same IC to Mini3or SR71 to Livewires versus to Stax SR001 system. Although I think there's a noticeable (to me) jump to the Stax (but others have posted it's not such a difference), I think the Livewires are fast enough (otherwise I'd still be seeking an alternative
wink.gif
).

Quote:

*- This will be a general IEM question: if you lean against a moving surface, for example while falling asleep on a train, would that cause microphonics?

If you rest your head against a hard surface (e.g. train window) then, yes, you're going to notice it (as your skull transfers the sound direct to your ears). So rest against something softer - I've seen fellow train travellers (not even wearing IEMs
eek.gif
- who are these non-IEM people I gasp - regular, non HeadFi people?? Do they really exist?) - roll up clothing, etc to rest against when leaning on windows, walls, etc of trains.

Quote:

After reading a lot of threads, I feel like LiveWires are my best choice. Had it not been FMT's problems, I would be almost sure about it. I know that Mr. Diles is a great person to work with and in case of any issues, everything will be fixed, but shipping it back and forth from US to Poland is not a cheap thing.

Chat with John Diles via PM or email (through the Livewires website) beforehand. I must admit email communication can take some time, and takes patience, but they are a good team, they do come through and they do work with you. If shipping is a real issue then negotiate the costs with them.

And my personal advice to minimise the risk of needing rework is to use the UE recommendations/guide for an open mouth impression at the audiologist, informing Livewires this is how the impressions have been taken. Unlike buying an off-the-street product I see purchasing personalised IEMs as a team effort which benefits at all points throughout the process from all members of the team (you, your audiologist and the Livewires team) keeping each other well informed and working through any questions (no matter how 'silly' they may seem it's important to ask them) and potential issues. Everyone wants the same outcome and it just - sometimes - takes a little time to get to it. And it truly is only achieved when you are satisfied (as I am sure FMT (FeedMeTrance) will be in a few weeks).

Feb 16, 2008 at 6:58 PM Post #13 of 16
You won't get "perfect isolation" from any headphone. The FreQs claim 25db of isolation (the same as the other custom IEM vendors). I asked my audiologist if that was a lot because I really have no frame of reference for that sort of thing. She said that anything in the low 20's is about the most you can get because, at that point, your head start transferring the sound waves. I will say they do isolate a lot, but not as much as I had hoped. I think I just had unreasonable expectations. For example, when I was on the airplane last week, I could still hear the engines, but it was much much quieter.

Again I don't want to disparage the Livewires at all since I don't own a pair, but I really think you should have the FreQs on your short list as well. It's $60 less for triple drivers. Does it make a difference? I can't say for certain since, again, I don't own Livewires, but I can say that the clarity on the FreQs is amazing. Even when the music gets very complex or busy, each instrument still comes through perfectly. Compared to single drivers I have heard where the music gets distorted when there are too many "voices" trying to play at once.

I had listened to a lot of Floyd on my FreQs before you posted, but I had not listened to a lot of Zepplin. Since my last post I've listened to them a lot and I keep hearing new things I never noticed before. If those are the 2 bands you listen to the most (and great taste btw hehe), the FreQs will serve you well. Also, they do allow for returns with a 10% fee, so for triple drivers you are only risking about $20 plus any cost for impressions should you choose to have them done professionally (they send you a home kit, but recommend seeing an audiologist and following the UE instructions for open mouth with bite block). You could always try the dual driver model for only $139 as well which may compare closer to Livewires.

Feb 16, 2008 at 7:03 PM Post #14 of 16
I think the Ety's come pretty close to "perfect isolation", when inserted properly it attenuated pretty much any outside noise.
As for Livewires they isolate significantly less, but I don't find it a problem when music is running.

In fact, I think it's actually preferable if you use it on the run, being completely isolated from other people's sound is not a good thing imo. =P

Hell, the reduced isolation from LW might even save your life one day.

Feb 17, 2008 at 4:03 PM Post #15 of 16
Thanks a lot, webbie64 (a chess fan?). This is exactly the kind of response I was hoping to get.

Hayduke, from what I've read, the greater number of drivers doesn't necessarily mean better sound quality. The triple driver FreQs get mixed reviews, while every owner of LiveWires likes their IEMs a lot. LiveWires also seem to be an exceptional bang for the buck, since some head-fiers prefer them over much more expensive IEMs (e500 for example). I know I shouldn't take things for granted, but to me just judging from the names, companies like FreQs and Jays don't seem to be audiophile sound-oriented. BUT I'M NOT SAYING THEY AREN'T.

I would love to read a direct comparison between LWs and SLEEKs. "Is there anybody out there" who has both of them?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back