Best IEMs for Cowon D2
Jan 3, 2008 at 5:05 AM Post #31 of 32
I just sprung on a pair of Denon AH-C700s from Amazon. Reading impressions and reviews comparing the super.fi 5 and m5 and the current special at amazon was too much to pass up.

Jan 3, 2008 at 6:21 AM Post #32 of 32
One thing I've noted with the m5 + d2 combo is that the sound seems geared to keeping people from over-powering their phones to dangerous levels; with that said, atrio m5s sound very good at moderate volumes due to the bass response, but to my ears, begin to suffer musically when you raise it to more involving levels (though this depends on music genre, instruments/programming used, etc). With live tracks, they shine in that they really give a personal sense of being in front of the musician. In consequence, however, I feel that the mid-range is far too dry to appreciate more articulate music that relies on a precise high-end to truly appreciate.

If you're a bass-head, then look no further; atrio m5s have amazing bass that doesn't pound too hard no lose their resonance at lower volumes. Even on the D2 its quite strong, and the sibilance is nil making for a far less fatiguing listening experience.

Denons are said to be like this with a clearer and more forward sound in the upper frequencies; however with poor isolation. Keep this in mind when choosing between the two, which I'll say are the best choices alongside the more beastly super.fi 5s that will give you a stronger high-end than both. Can't go wrong with any of them, really.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back