Best IEMs for Cowon D2
Dec 27, 2007 at 5:05 PM Post #17 of 32
I have a D2 and Atrio M5's. Those things sound amazingly good. Bass aplenty without distortion or boominess.

Dec 27, 2007 at 7:35 PM Post #19 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by QQQ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There's no "superior audio quality", it's very average sound quality-wise. It's powerful though...

I would evaluate the sound quality as great to excellent actually.
Almost as good as my zen micro in fact.

Dec 27, 2007 at 7:47 PM Post #20 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by acegazda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Almost as good as my zen micro in fact.

Since when is the Zen Micro a Gold standard?

I was rather disappointed with the SQ of the D2.

Dec 27, 2007 at 8:01 PM Post #21 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by vulc4n /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Since when is the Zen Micro a Gold standard?

I was rather disappointed with the SQ of the D2.

In the grand scheme of things, i'd say the zen micro is pretty high up there in terms of sound quality.
Matter of opinion i guess.

Dec 27, 2007 at 8:33 PM Post #23 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kees /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What is the standard you compared the D2 with if I may ask?

well, personally I have the A2, 1st gen Zune, and the D2. The zune and the A2 are quite a bit better than the D2, and the X5 and Vibez are better still in my opinion.

Dec 27, 2007 at 8:55 PM Post #24 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by nowyoucanlaugh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well, personally I have the A2, 1st gen Zune, and the D2. The zune and the A2 are quite a bit better than the D2, and the X5 and Vibez are better still in my opinion.

I was considering the D2, because it is much smaller than my X5 and has a much more powerfully amped headphone out. I like the Sq of the X5 and kind of hoped the D2 would be similar. That way I hoped the D2 would be able to handle my PK1 without an amp (the X5 can't).
What would be in your opinion the difference(s) between the D2's SQ and the X5?

Dec 27, 2007 at 9:05 PM Post #25 of 32
Quote:

I was considering the D2, because it is much smaller than my X5 and has a much more powerfully amped headphone out. I like the Sq of the X5 and kind of hoped the D2 would be similar. That way I hoped the D2 would be able to handle my PK1 without an amp (the X5 can't).
What would be in your opinion the difference(s) between the D2's SQ and the X5?

I'd say that the X5 has an overall warmer sound, the D2 is a bit on the flat/punchy side in comparison. The X5 is also a lot more responsive in the bass region, though JetEffect can counterbalance this without TOO much distortion. The X5 is also a lot better at handling low quality files (and I have a ton of 192 mp3 >_<). Personally, though, I like the analytical sound of the D2... most people that I know that have heard both tend not to, though.

Dec 27, 2007 at 10:36 PM Post #26 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by nowyoucanlaugh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd say that the X5 has an overall warmer sound, the D2 is a bit on the flat/punchy side in comparison. The X5 is also a lot more responsive in the bass region, though JetEffect can counterbalance this without TOO much distortion. The X5 is also a lot better at handling low quality files (and I have a ton of 192 mp3 >_<). Personally, though, I like the analytical sound of the D2... most people that I know that have heard both tend not to, though.

Thanks.
I guess that would make the Atrio M5 and, if you have a bit more to spend, the Sure SE530 very likely candidates.
The PK1 could still be a maybe... It woiuld be nice to be able to use them without amp (they are very good when amped well).

Dec 27, 2007 at 10:42 PM Post #27 of 32
Quote:

Thanks.
I guess that would make the Atrio M5 and, if you have a bit more to spend, the Sure SE530 very likely candidates.
The PK1 could still be a maybe... It woiuld be nice to be able to use them without amp (they are very good when amped well).

are you speaking of amping the D2 from the headphone out? Do you think it would improve the sound (speaking about impendance less than 40 ohm?)

Dec 27, 2007 at 10:50 PM Post #28 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by janruzinsky /img/forum/go_quote.gif
are you speaking of amping the D2 from the headphone out? Do you think it would improve the sound (speaking about impendance less than 40 ohm?)

I actually would like to use them without an amp from the D2 (because the D2 has a very powerful headphone out, 35mW/channel).
I use the PK1 with a Headroom Micro/desktop modules connected to the headphone out of the X5 and that works very well. Just not very portable any more....
frown.gif

Dec 27, 2007 at 11:09 PM Post #29 of 32
I am just asking because I want to get the i7 with the triple fi(32 ohm) so there is enough power from the 7. I just want to have my portable setup as good as possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back