Best IEMs for broadway soundtracks for under $200?
Jul 21, 2007 at 12:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

ringer790

New Head-Fier
Hi, this is my first post here. I'm buying the Sandisk Sansa e280 (8gb) and was wondering what IEMs would go best with that for listening to broadway soundtracks for under $200.
I've never used IEMs before so keep that in mind when it comes to comfort.
I've heard the Grado RS1s and liked them, to give you a general idea of the sound I like.
Thanks in advance for your help.

Jul 21, 2007 at 3:38 AM Post #4 of 17
I'd start reading up on the various iem threads here. I think Broadway soundtracks can be considered similar to pop music in at least their main qualities. One thing you might want to also consider is a visit to the portables forum. The rate at which you rip or download your music to your computer, then your Sansa, has an effect on the sound quality. As the quality of your headphones or iems improves, so does their ability to reveal poorly recorded or transfered music. You may get a terrific pair of iems, but wonder why the music doesn't sound as great.

I can only recommend what I have (Ety ER4P/S) or spent a lot of time with (the whole new Shure line). I love my Etys, but they're super detailed, and will reveal the differences in how you've chosen to download or transfer your music. I also like the SE420s and SE530s, and dislike the SE210s and 310s from the Shure line, but those are above your budget.

Good luck.

Jul 21, 2007 at 4:07 AM Post #5 of 17
I like an Ety one myself. I use the IM716, based on Ety tech. I don't have the FutureSonics M5, but they seem like they might be good, read the reviews.

All I can say is that with the IM716, soundtracks like Les Miserables CS, Miss Saigon London Cast, TPOTO London Cast, Rent, sound very good, from the detail of the orchestra to the lyrical sopranos and the belts. I wish I had some soundtracks for the later shows I've seen like Wicked, Jersey Boys, etc.

I wish I could say I had more IEM choices to offer, but I don't have many to compare with. All I can say is that something like the MylareOne X3 wouldn't do well with this genre at all. It's too colored, IMO. I like to hear the ring of the sopranos and altos at full belt, and the fluidity of the tenors. For the opera buffs, yes, I know it's not the same.

YMMV.

Jul 21, 2007 at 6:31 AM Post #6 of 17
Listened to them somewhat on my E4C's. The great midrange on these makes the voices sound fantastic, though you will be missing out on some bass. I was, so I upgraded to the E500's
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 21, 2007 at 11:19 AM Post #7 of 17
Depends on your preferences (bass, midrange, highs, soundstage, etc...) as well as your type of music!

The Ultimate Ears super.fi 5 Pro's (sold) get my nod but I don't think the Shure E4's are that far behind after having owned a pair of Shure E3C's (sold) & E500PTH's (currently own). I think the Shure E4C's might be more comfortable though.

If you can save enough for the E500PTH's you may wanna do that since its sound is more refined and the comfort is a few notches ahead.

Jul 21, 2007 at 2:31 PM Post #9 of 17
Each to his own.........but, being a "broadway" type most of my life (stretching from aprox 1957 onward) would tend to suggest an iModded iPod with a pair of 1st gen. Vibes. Other than Vibes, then Ety. Don't spend a whole lot of $ for IEMS - keep those bucks for an eventual pair of Beyers (which you will amp).

Jul 21, 2007 at 2:40 PM Post #10 of 17
You can buy E4c, SE310, UE5Pro, ER4P/S from this forum under $200 and you will definitaly like these or you can buy online Denon C700 which are good too.

Jul 21, 2007 at 4:18 PM Post #11 of 17
For what little broadway listening I do (basically Wicked occasionally) I would NOT reccomend the Super.Fi 5 Pro's. The whole point of broadway soundtracks are the stunning vocals - and the Super.Fi 5 Pro's just can't convey the emotion the way that my RS-1's can. I realize that the two headphones are apples and oranges, but there's got to be an emotionally involving iem that doesn't sound like mud in the upper midrange. I prefer the KSC-75's to the SF5P's for vocals.

Jul 21, 2007 at 4:43 PM Post #12 of 17
i guess that disqualifies any balanced armature IEM´s, they only reach 16-18k, you loose all tha harmonics of the sopranos highs, but thats opera anyways.

Jul 21, 2007 at 4:48 PM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aevum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i guess that disqualifies any balanced armature IEM´s, they only reach 16-18k, you loose all tha harmonics of the sopranos highs, but thats opera anyways.

I was under the impression that all iem's had a rolloff there because of the shape of the inner ear, balanced armature and dynamic included. Could be wrong though.

Besides, I think 16-18khz is firmly above "upper midrange", although you have a point with the harmonics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back