Best IEM's for <$100
Nov 28, 2007 at 11:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

cyberidd

1000+ Head-Fier
So, my friend is thinking of buying himself a new pair of IEM's that have great highs and mids, and stunning bass. I know its a lot to ask of a single set of cans. Anyway, he currently has the Sony mdr ex51's, which he finds have good bass, but are muddy when it comes to reproducing highs and mids. The kind of music he listens to is varied, he listens to everything, from rap, classical, rock, and metal, to video game music, without the video game. he is currently looking at buying the e2c's or the music fi 3's. Any suggestions?

Nov 29, 2007 at 12:21 AM Post #5 of 20
Another vote for iM716
biggrin.gif

Nov 29, 2007 at 3:39 AM Post #7 of 20
Amazon. Radioshack. Buy.com I think. Many places.

But his friend wants bass. The altec lansings are hardly the choice if he likes the kind of bass that the sony phones offer, even if they have more than the nearly identical Etymotics.

CrossRoads just released their mylarone X3i and XBi series canalphones; at this point they may be the best balance your friend would want. Many say that the X3i is the best of both worlds having both highs and low-kick, and don't have any particular weaknesses after burn-in. Some really like the XBi, but it may be too much bass. Cost is $70 shipped from Jaben.

Super.fi 3s aren't bad, but the bass is a bit recessed unless you use shure black olive foamies modded to fit on the driver stem; this is a painful process if you don't do it right. But yeah, they do go for $50 or less if you know where to look, and have some great control over the mid and high frequencies.

Nov 29, 2007 at 6:51 AM Post #8 of 20
I haven't tried the X3i yet but I was a big fan of the X3. As a matter of fact I would go with these if I had to choose between X3 and the Super.fi's

Nov 29, 2007 at 8:34 AM Post #9 of 20
Hur. Have you tried super.fi 3s? I hear that the mylarones aren't much different in place of a bit more kick on the low-end as well as roll-off at 12,000hz. Apples and oranges, you know the drill.

If you still have your mylarones uncle wilson's willing to top you off with your x3/xb's so you can save some money for the i series. Everyone's saying that they're definitely an improvement.

Nov 29, 2007 at 2:08 PM Post #10 of 20
Several folks here suggest you get the Ultimate Ears super.fi 3 Studio. I highly recommend that model, especially if you can get it online (it's about US$60 from Amazon.com, with free Super Saver shipping). The Shure SE110 is about US$20 more from Amazon but I've read that the sound quality is not as good as the super.fi 3's.

Nov 29, 2007 at 5:27 PM Post #11 of 20
I would recommend JBL 220 Reference. Single-driver IEM's in my opinion sound worse than a good membrane. Crossroads, on the other hand... from what I've read problems with them happen quite often.

Nov 29, 2007 at 11:42 PM Post #12 of 20
My friend says he could probably live with a sacrifice in bass to a certain degree as the sony bass is pretty present for a set of IEMs, he likes the amount of bass given in my CX300's but would hopefully like a LITTLE bit more if possible. Also, he runs a Cowon X5 and because of the jack being on the side is worried about straight jack headphones damaging the X5's headphone jack.

Nov 30, 2007 at 3:33 AM Post #13 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by cyberidd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My friend says he could probably live with a sacrifice in bass to a certain degree as the sony bass is pretty present for a set of IEMs, he likes the amount of bass given in my CX300's but would hopefully like a LITTLE bit more if possible. Also, he runs a Cowon X5 and because of the jack being on the side is worried about straight jack headphones damaging the X5's headphone jack.

a little more bass than the CX300?
eek.gif
Geez...your friend must LOVE bass!!!

Nov 30, 2007 at 3:55 AM Post #15 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Echel0n /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would recommend JBL 220 Reference.

Really? They're so cheap! $40 on Amazon!

You think they'd be better than say the Shure E2c or the Etymotic ER6i?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back