Best IEMs around £125
May 29, 2012 at 1:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

AndrewHume1

New Head-Fier
Greetings all
My current IEM's (sennheiser cx870) broke in one side, and it's my birthday soon, so I'm looking for some IEM's around £125
I listen mostly to folk, indie, rock etc. on my desktop through onboard audio playing FLAC through foobar 2k and on the go I listen to AAC@350 through poweramp on my GSII
So, with that in mind, what would be the best IEM for me to go for? I was looking at the following, in order of what I'm leaning towards if that makes sense:

Vsonic GR07

Shure se215

HiFiMan RE - 262

Senneheiser IE60

Shure SE315 (I put this here because I'm not sure of the differences between this and the se215, can someone please explain what this offers over the 215)

Sennheiser cx 980

Thanks in advance to all that contribute

May 29, 2012 at 1:19 PM Post #2 of 20
Gonna start with that you need an amp for the RE-262 as of high impedance. 
Although i have not actually heard any of these i can use what i have heard to direct you. I have heard the GR06 and this was more enjoyable and i would chose it anyway over the Shure SE420. If the GR07 is as much of an upgrade as people say then it will blow the hell out of both shures, the IE60 (I've heard the IE8) and whatever the other Senny is. Basically i would just get the GR07!

Or start of slow and just get a GR06!

May 29, 2012 at 1:24 PM Post #3 of 20
Quote:
Gonna start with that you need an amp for the RE-262 as of high impedance. 
Although i have not actually heard any of these i can use what i have heard to direct you. I have heard the GR06 and this was more enjoyable and i would chose it anyway over the Shure SE420. If the GR07 is as much of an upgrade as people say then it will blow the hell out of both shures, the IE60 (I've heard the IE8) and whatever the other Senny is. Basically i would just get the GR07!

Or start of slow and just get a GR06!

thanks for the quick response
I don't think I'm looking to get something that needs an amp, too much hastle, although I will probably get one when I get some beyer dt880 600 (SOON)
looking at the charts and seeing the gr07 as the 3rd IEM ahead of £500 ones makes me think this too, and the fact that it is only £99 is also good, I can get battlefield 3 too :D
welp, time to go read some more reviews

May 29, 2012 at 1:34 PM Post #4 of 20
Quote:
thanks for the quick response
I don't think I'm looking to get something that needs an amp, too much hastle, although I will probably get one when I get some beyer dt880 600 (SOON)
looking at the charts and seeing the gr07 as the 3rd IEM ahead of £500 ones makes me think this too, and the fact that it is only £99 is also good, I can get battlefield 3 too :D
welp, time to go read some more reviews

Thats alright buddy. 
The DT880 will be for at home no? You'll probably be better of with a desktop amp no?
As for charts (what charts yu referring too?) take them with a pinch of salt as some are done with value as a factor where as others such as mine are ranked on pure sound quality alone while i still rank other factors.
To be honest i would not worry with reviews, they are all awesome and just from hearing the GR06 i can assure eyou that you will not go wrong with the GR07!

Quote:
Audio technica ckm500 for $89 from ebay or ie80 for $47 from taobao.

IE80s are fake. 

May 29, 2012 at 1:38 PM Post #6 of 20
Quote:
RE262 kinda needs an amp. The GR07 is a safe bet. Perhaps Brainwavz B2/Fischer Audio DBA-02 if you can take the treble.

The DBA-02 are a great earphone however i think the lack of bass and huge treble sparkle could be a bit off putting for your first major IEM. 

May 29, 2012 at 1:44 PM Post #7 of 20
give the phonak PFE 132 a shot, better sound for the price, and whist at first it seems out of your budget you can easily find it for around £100. if not go for the GR07. personally though, id say the PFE 132 > GR07

May 29, 2012 at 1:53 PM Post #8 of 20
Quote:
give the phonak PFE 132 a shot, better sound for the price, and whist at first it seems out of your budget you can easily find it for around £100. if not go for the GR07. personally though, id say the PFE 132 > GR07

Really? I find that rather sup rising because i would be tempted to even go GR06 > PFE. Well night quite, PFE is better technically by a bit but they are not quite as enjoyable. However it would be cheaper for him to pick up the 012 and some grey filters unless he wants a mic and case.

May 29, 2012 at 6:18 PM Post #9 of 20
The GR07 are great sounding IEms with good punchy bass and overall very crisp clean mids, highs(highly recommended). The other IEMs like Klipsch Image X5, UETF10Pro, Yamaha EPH100 are also recommended

May 30, 2012 at 3:37 AM Post #11 of 20

Yeah, personally I prefer the pfe to anything else in the price range, just my opinion but I top of that everyone will tell you they are very good at least, I thinks it's a combo of comfort and sound for me

Like swimsonny said the pfe 012 is basically the same as the 132, I have both and hardly use the 012 now purely as its older, if you are interested I could give them to you for like £30 and throw in the case from one of the other pfe phones I own :)

May 30, 2012 at 3:40 AM Post #12 of 20
Quote:
The GR07 are great sounding IEms with good punchy bass and overall very crisp clean mids, highs(highly recommended). The other IEMs like Klipsch Image X5, UETF10Pro, Yamaha EPH100 are also recommended

+1 for Yamaha EPH-100

May 30, 2012 at 5:14 AM Post #13 of 20
To be honest if big man says he will throw some grey filters in as well as green, you should make a deal with him. You can take it from their and see if you would want the gr07s etc on the future!

May 30, 2012 at 9:58 AM Post #14 of 20
Quote:
Yeah, personally I prefer the pfe to anything else in the price range, just my opinion but I top of that everyone will tell you they are very good at least, I thinks it's a combo of comfort and sound for me
Like swimsonny said the pfe 012 is basically the same as the 132, I have both and hardly use the 012 now purely as its older, if you are interested I could give them to you for like £30 and throw in the case from one of the other pfe phones I own
smily_headphones1.gif

hmmmm. tempting, but having looked at some reviews and seeing what people describe the 012 and 132 as I don't really think they're for me. They do seem great, but I think I prefer the gr07 to the 132/012 (at least based on the reviews I have seen)

May 30, 2012 at 10:21 AM Post #15 of 20
Quote:
hmmmm. tempting, but having looked at some reviews and seeing what people describe the 012 and 132 as I don't really think they're for me. They do seem great, but I think I prefer the gr07 to the 132/012 (at least based on the reviews I have seen)

THe phonaks are identical drivers and earphones etc just different accessories. People will describe them differently. I do not see you going wrong with them To be honest if you have the money etc i would just pull the trigger on the GR07,you'll know if you like the bobby or not!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back