Best IEM under $70 (for metal/rock)
Apr 27, 2019 at 8:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Jozy

New Head-Fier
I usually listen to metal (black metal, technical death, heavy, thrash, prog, etc), rock and synthwave.

For me, isolation, instrument separation and balanced sound are important.

If possible $40-$70

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2019 at 10:58 AM Post #3 of 13
By balanced do you mean flat fr or slight v shape? Also, are you treble sensitive? Many IEMs at this price level can be harsh due to their propensity to have um rather energetic highs. If you don't mind a little sibilance, I hear KZ IEMs are brilliant for the price. However, a safe recommendation is the Final E2000. £40 and natural, balanced sound.

Apr 27, 2019 at 11:33 AM Post #4 of 13
By balanced do you mean flat fr or slight v shape? Also, are you treble sensitive? Many IEMs at this price level can be harsh due to their propensity to have um rather energetic highs. If you don't mind a little sibilance, I hear KZ IEMs are brilliant for the price. However, a safe recommendation is the Final E2000. £40 and natural, balanced sound.

I want the be balanced by price because the treble or bass-weighted iems are not suitable for metal music but it can be light V shape. I will check KZ IEMs. Thanks.

Apr 27, 2019 at 1:34 PM Post #5 of 13
I want the be balanced by price because the treble or bass-weighted iems are not suitable for metal music but it can be light V shape. I will check KZ IEMs. Thanks.
Remember, KZs can be harsh depending on whihc ones you look at. Newer ones like the ZS10 Pro and ZSN Pro are supposed to be much improved, whilst their sister company - CCA are also well known for making very well balanced IEMs. CCA C16 is a safe choice and very well regarded at this price. TIN T3 as well, slight v shape, but generally neutral-bright.

Sorry if I've overwhelmed you with choice, but to be honest we're barely scratching the surface here of what's available. Chi Fi has gotten pretty damn good and there are many very good options available nowadays for not too much money.

Apr 27, 2019 at 2:50 PM Post #6 of 13
I listen primarily to metal/rock and prefer a strong V shape. My vote is KZ ZS7 or KZ ZS10PRO through treble is elevated. The dynamic driver sounds good with the double basing and blast beats lol.

Apr 28, 2019 at 5:07 PM Post #7 of 13
For metal I prefer the Moondrop Crescent over ZSN, ZS7, CCA10, Final E2000 and many other under $100 IEMs. Even if they are single driver I find them more resolving and have a better tonality, clearer and more engaging. The negatives, they lack in soundstage size compared to something like CCA10 or Final, bass is strong but could have better dynamics and the biggest issue, can't use them at the gym or even in heavy A/C due to the compensation problems. Still my go to for metal from any IEMs I have under $200. I have the Sora Light 2019 on order now, maybe those will take the throne, we'll see

Apr 28, 2019 at 7:22 PM Post #8 of 13
For metal I prefer the Moondrop Crescent over ZSN, ZS7, CCA10, Final E2000 and many other under $100 IEMs. Even if they are single driver I find them more resolving and have a better tonality, clearer and more engaging. The negatives, they lack in soundstage size compared to something like CCA10 or Final, bass is strong but could have better dynamics and the biggest issue, can't use them at the gym or even in heavy A/C due to the compensation problems. Still my go to for metal from any IEMs I have under $200. I have the Sora Light 2019 on order now, maybe those will take the throne, we'll see
I've always been intrigued by the Crescents, but as there was a model update some time this year, I don't know where to find the newest one. Or if it's better tuned. For anyone interested Olav (clavinetjunkie on yt) did a sound demo- not like Z's old sound demos, these give a good idea of the earphones sound sig. They seem bright-ish but not painfully so, take a look-

How's the wire holding up? Seems important for a non detachable cable.

Apr 29, 2019 at 8:31 PM Post #9 of 13
I'm in the same boat searching for a "tank" daily driver that I can go to the gym/commute and it's cheap enough that I won't feel bad in case I lose it or break it.

My main genres are prog-metal, post-rock, heavy metal, and experimental electronic. So I usually like mild V-shaped signatures because it brings that all-rounder characteristic which is really enjoyable on-the-go.

Moondrop Crescent was on my list but a lot of people reported the same imbalance issue which I got using the KPE, then unfortunately it's a red flag for me.

Atm, I'm aiming at the CCA C10 and the ZS7 for this purpose. Which one is the more "energetic"? Also, if anyone has another suggestion I'd appreciate it.

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2019 at 9:45 PM Post #10 of 13
nvm

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2019 at 2:58 PM Post #11 of 13
I'm in the same boat searching for a "tank" daily driver that I can go to the gym/commute and it's cheap enough that I won't feel bad in case I lose it or break it.

My main genres are prog-metal, post-rock, heavy metal, and experimental electronic. So I usually like mild V-shaped signatures because it brings that all-rounder characteristic which is really enjoyable on-the-go.

Moondrop Crescent was on my list but a lot of people reported the same imbalance issue which I got using the KPE, then unfortunately it's a red flag for me.

Atm, I'm aiming at the CCA C10 and the ZS7 for this purpose. Which one is the more "energetic"? Also, if anyone has another suggestion I'd appreciate it.
Haven't heard the ZS7 but the CCA C10 gets rather congested sounding with metal IMO. I'd recommend the **** though it's isolation is basically non existent with the semi open back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back