Best IEM under $120 for Trance, Need Advice!
Mar 7, 2010 at 7:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

bumpypoo

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone!

Hi, i am a huge listener of trance music and a regular reader of Head-Fi from Canada. I have never posted in the forums but I think now its time to as I really need help from you guys. I am in search or should I say in need of a really good IEM which is under $120 (incl. shipping & taxes).

I already own a RE2 with Fiio E5 and also a Fischer Audio Eterna. I have to say, I completely love the warmth of the Eterna. I also listened to the RE0, which I borrowed from my friend for few weeks and I was amazed by the clarity and the soundstage on it but a bit disappointed with the lack of bass even with bass boost from my E5. The only reason I am looking for a new one is that I need an IEM which is as clear, wide and accurate as an RE0 but has the warmth and bass of the Eterna.

I have not listened to any other IEMs other than these 3 so I am looking for advice with which IEM to go for or should I stick with my Eterna? I have checked out a few of these IEMs: Cyclone PR1/PR2, Hippo VB, Audio Technica ATH_CKS70, Panasonic HJE900, SoundMagic PL50, Custom UE10 Pro.

Please help me decide. Thank You!
smily_headphones1.gif

Source: 320kbps MP3s on Benq S57 Notebook and/or SE XPERIA X1i
IEMs: Hifiman RE2 + Fiio E5, Fischer Audio Eterna
Headphone: Sennheiser HD212

Mar 7, 2010 at 7:58 PM Post #2 of 8
I can comment on cks70 and say that they are very good for trance. By the way, if you think re0's soundstage is big then you will think that the soundstage on cks70 is huge. Mid and treble are a little harsh at the beginning but they get smoother after burn in. Bass is the strongest point and it is amazing. I think its bass is better than on ie8's. So as a result you won't regret if you buy cks70's.

Mar 7, 2010 at 8:09 PM Post #3 of 8
I would go for monster turbines which are now under $100 in some stores. I think amazon is selling them for $98.

Mar 7, 2010 at 8:58 PM Post #4 of 8
Yes, Cks70s' bass is amazing, though a tad slow for some trance rythms, you know what i mean. Even though, it's excellent. Also love mids - wish vocals were a bit forward and clear, yet highs are not sparkly, existing recessed, so i cannot feel totally satisfied.

Overall, it's a nice option for trance especially if you have chance to make some changes on EQ. i really hesitate whether i should go for another one in sake of trance! :smile

Mar 7, 2010 at 9:43 PM Post #5 of 8
As far as I know, the CKS70 and Eterna are about equivalent. They seem to be similar at least in some regards as the poor man's IE8.

Mar 8, 2010 at 4:27 AM Post #6 of 8
I'd recommend the Phonak PFEs if you want a similar detailed sound sig to the RE0, with a bit more bass. They are also incredibly fast and precise and have better soundstage (which IMO is nothing special on the RE0).

If you want even stronger and punchier bass while retaining most of the RE0's clear and detailed highs, I recommend the Panasonic HJE900. They are quite fast for dynamic driver based phones and have decent soundstage.

Mar 8, 2010 at 4:37 AM Post #7 of 8
Thank you so much guys for all the replies. It seems majority of you want me to go for the CKS70 despite Eterna and CKS70 being equivalent, according to Ethan. But if its not that great a hassle I would really appreciate a bit more advanced or in-depth comparisons if someone can provide me with.

How about the comparison between the Eterna, CKS70, Cyclone PR2, Hippo VB and any IEM which deserve to be in this comparison. I would like to know which IEMs stand out in (for ex- Bass: Hippo VB > Eterna):

Highs (Clear and Extended)
Mids (Sweet Vocals)
Lows (Bass Depth and Body)

Clarity
Soundstage
Comfort/Microphonics

I would really appreciate it.

P.S. Where can I buy a CKS70?

Mar 8, 2010 at 6:07 AM Post #8 of 8
Well take my opinion with a grain of salt, by similar I mean that people report similar characteristics and tout them as a good alternative to the IE8.
As far as I know there are only two sources for the CKS70, AccessoryJack and one other place.
I don't think anyone has heard both the CKS70 and the Eterna, so the relationship is not exactly known other than comparison of impressions. If someone does have both, impressions are greatly appreciated, as it would be nice to know where they both sit in value and performance. From my judgement they seem similar.
The Panasonics might be a good option if you want to spend that much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back