Best IEM under $100 to use with Nano and no amp
Jun 9, 2007 at 8:11 AM Post #31 of 51
I got a free moda vibes from the head fest draw. Bass is deep and it has sparkly highs. But, I really didn't like the mids which were too analytical, bordering cold. I didn't find myself enjoying the music at all because of that. Also, it is very uncomfortable and provides very little noise isolation because it is opened at the back.

Jun 9, 2007 at 9:46 AM Post #33 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by Claus-DK /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you need an other option there is also d-JAYS or to blow your budget UE 10 pro....

LOL yeah...just add another zero to your $100 budget and you'll be in heaven
wink.gif
Although if you got a UE-10 you would probably have to get an amp to get the most from them (I'm guessing...i've never really looked into what you would need to make $1000 IEM's sound their best)

Jun 9, 2007 at 7:45 PM Post #35 of 51
i think beside iso, you should also take durability into consideration. your son will probably be sleeping with them on the TABLE. that's one thing about college: odd sleeping hours and napping on tables and lecture halls.

Jun 9, 2007 at 7:57 PM Post #36 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dual /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I concur. Excellent value for money.

yup, doesn't get any better for that price. The hell makes them SO fantastic!?

Oh, we're talking about the mylarone x3's

Jun 10, 2007 at 8:38 AM Post #39 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by Solitary1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok, I gotta add another one to the list: Denon AH-C350.

I just bought 'em today, and they have replaced the Sennheiser CX-300 in my portable rig.

Can you give us some impressions of the AH-C350?

Jun 12, 2007 at 3:37 PM Post #41 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by jhumur /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can you give us some impressions of the AH-C350?

First and foremost, these are NOT the CX300s. The look and size would lead you to believe that, but one listen will dispel that notion. For $50 IEMs, the midrange is what jumps out at me, and is what sets them apart from the CX300s and the Sony EX-71s (which are similar). The most expensive IEMs I've owned have been the Shure E3C, and it's been awhile since I've owned them (like 3 years), but as I recall the E3C had cleaner bass. The AH-C350s are slightly recessed in the treble region, but not significantly so. That midrange is what gets me, detailed is the word, almost analytical. Now, maybe that's just compared to the CX300s, but that's my take. They sound great with jazz and classic r&b, haven't tried any other genre with them. All of my listening w as done straight from an ipod with no additional amplification. I'll have to run them through the CK2III tonight.

Jun 12, 2007 at 4:21 PM Post #42 of 51
Quote:

Sennheiser CX-300s, better than e2c or ER6i.

I agree, they are more comfortable with more detail than the e2c, and even though the ER6i has more detail, the CX-300 has more of a full-range sound due to the enhanced bottom end. They also have a decent amount of detail. The JBL Reference 220 is also a good choice, because they are open in the back they have a nice airy sound, that doesn't sound "in the head" but they do not isolate as much as the CX-300.

Jun 12, 2007 at 4:38 PM Post #43 of 51
Quote:

First and foremost, these are NOT the CX300s. The look and size would lead you to believe that, but one listen will dispel that notion. For $50 IEMs, the midrange is what jumps out at me, and is what sets them apart from the CX300s and the Sony EX-71s (which are similar). The most expensive IEMs I've owned have been the Shure E3C, and it's been awhile since I've owned them (like 3 years), but as I recall the E3C had cleaner bass. The AH-C350s are slightly recessed in the treble region, but not significantly so. That midrange is what gets me, detailed is the word, almost analytical. Now, maybe that's just compared to the CX300s, but that's my take. They sound great with jazz and classic r&b, haven't tried any other genre with them. All of my listening w as done straight from an ipod with no additional amplification. I'll have to run them through the CK2III tonight.

I agree with this opinion on the Denon's, because of the recessed highs they are very dark sounding, similar to the Sennheiser sound signature. They have a very rich and warm sounding midrange, along with pretty accurate bass which is nice. If you like a little more treble, then look at the CX-300's or the JBL 220's they have a more forward sound similar to Grados.

Jun 12, 2007 at 6:57 PM Post #44 of 51
There seems to be a consensus on the Mylar X3s, but do people feel that they offer fit, isolation, and ruggedness to match or beat the Ety's?

(I'm not saying they don't, I haven't used either one and want to know if those who recommended them think those other qualities beyond sound quality measure up as well).

Jun 12, 2007 at 7:54 PM Post #45 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by Orcin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
LOL... this is Head-Fi so I expected (and hoped for) lots of opinions. I am surprised that no one has tried to push me above my budget yet though... you guys are slipping!
wink.gif

I was shying away from the Ety's because I had heard that without an amp they sound thin. My own experience with UE's (5 pro, not 3) made me think that they would need an amp to sound clean. I would welcome any "no-amp" testimonials from people running either of these (Ety 6 or UE 3) straight from a Nano.

I need to further investigate some of the other suggestions here. I had the UM-1 and X3 on my "maybe" list from reading other threads.

Well, I have the Sennheiser CX300 and I think they are great.
Although, the other day I stopped by the Apple Store because I wanted to get a new pair of phones, and I entered thinking in buying a Shure SE210 but I left the store with an E4C.
I simply loved those phones. The highs are so brilliant and vibrant in comparison to the SE210 and SE310 that I couldn't resist and bought them, even being more expensive than the SE210.

So, if you want a suggestion pushing above your limit, listen to Shure SE210, SE310, E4C or even SE420 when they come out
biggrin.gif

EDIT: Oh, about isolation... the new black foamies of the SE series is very comfortable and provides an excellent isolation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back