Best IEM under $100 to use with Nano and no amp
Jun 1, 2007 at 5:55 PM Post #16 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by iPatcH /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mylar X3's definitely. Awesome customer service, and they sound fantastic for $57. I had some super.fi 3's and these things just dominate them.

x2. Of course you can even buy them from me if you want and get them shipped there in a few days rather than a few weeks. And the X3's are so much better than the Vibes in my opinion and better than E2C's, but E2C's win at isolating sound. I'm a college student myself and I find that when you walk to class it's best to have NOT so much isolation so you are aware of your surroundings. The X3's provide just that. Enough isolation to keep you happy while keeping you aware of your surroundings.

Jun 1, 2007 at 8:31 PM Post #17 of 51
Those Mylars are cost-effective but on me at least they don't isolate anywhere near the way Etys do. Even if they did, I don't find the sound of mine to be at all preferable to that of the ER-6i.

Between ER-6i and iM716 I think the ER-6i better meets the requirements of being driven unamped from a Nano and not looking dorky, while the iM716 has a bass boost mode that may be appealing to some. I also have fit issues with the iM716 which I don't have with ER-6i. As for which of the two sounds better absent the preceding, I would say that opinions vary (meaning mine is different from what seems to be the conventional wisdom) but that in any case the sonic difference isn't worth worrying about for someone who is only now being parentally nudged onto something better than iPod earbuds. So unless he really wants bass boost, between the two I'd sugggest ER-6i.

Edit: no-amp testimonial: I use ER-6i and ER-6 unamped directly from various types of iPods including a Nano. The ER-6i was designed specifically to be efficient enough to be driven unamped from an iPod and to incorporate a little bass boost (but not a whole, whole lot). I don't find it thin-sounding at all.

Jun 1, 2007 at 8:56 PM Post #18 of 51
Thanks, episiarch. That's just what I needed. I think the ER6i is the best choice for his requirements. He really wants these to use in his room to shut out the distractions around him. He is used to studying in a quiet house with his music playing, and we're looking to simulate that atmosphere in a dorm. So isolation is an important factor. I like the ability to use several different tips also, since he has not used IEM's before.

Jun 1, 2007 at 9:14 PM Post #19 of 51
Yeah -- if isolation in a dorm environment is the goal, the ER6i's would work well with a Nano (that's the combination I use on airplanes for portability and isolation, and it works well on other forms of noisy transportation, too).

Some of the other suggestions might be more enjoyable (and convenient) for walking around campus, but if the idea is to put him into his own zone for studying, the Etys would do the trick (and they're not really fragile if one takes care of them). He can always get canal phones for walking around campus ... a future present, perhaps?

PS: A modest investment in foam tips might help long-term comfort for those all-nighters and boost the GPA!

Jun 1, 2007 at 9:20 PM Post #20 of 51
Understand the iso requirement, but I can tell you, when I put the X3s in my ears and play music, I don't find them to be anywhere near as "leaky" as the Vibes. No, they don't seal like the ER6is, but they aren't bad either. I just find the X3 sound sig more enjoyable than the Etys, and that counts for me as much as iso. Of course, I use the M5s for iso use on planes and stuff (me ER4P replacements). So I can see the point. If iso is paramount, the ER6is are fine.

Jun 2, 2007 at 7:05 AM Post #22 of 51
Westone UM1. If for anything else choose them for the comfort and the design. Since they fit completely in the ear, I can sleep on my side with them without any discomfort - that might come in handy in a noisy dorm at night.

Jun 2, 2007 at 2:47 PM Post #23 of 51
Another good one is the Creative Labs EP630--probably the best headphone bargain given its US$30 price. Strong bass, clear high end, and excellent noise isolation is something I really like. Of course, you could go to the Etymotic Research ER-6i but that is quite a bit more expensive.

Jun 2, 2007 at 5:30 PM Post #24 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by SactoMan101 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Another good one is the Creative Labs EP630

I am looking at this also. I think we might try these first to see what he thinks - he likes the price.
biggrin.gif

Jun 2, 2007 at 9:11 PM Post #26 of 51
In this situation, ER-6i > iM716.

ER-6i.

Jun 2, 2007 at 11:35 PM Post #27 of 51
Ok, I gotta add another one to the list: Denon AH-C350.

I just bought 'em today, and they have replaced the Sennheiser CX-300 in my portable rig.

Jun 3, 2007 at 1:07 AM Post #28 of 51
Wow...I'm seeing a rainbow of responses that I never thought I'd see. The Etymotics in general are awesome....if you like that flat sound. It really depends on how warm of a sound he wants, what type of soundstage, how durable (nothing to do with hi-fi, but very important for college :p). I STRONGLY disagree with the E2c...I think they're garbage for that style of music (don't beat me...they do have their place in the sound world). I love grunge, and electronic music- I've tried SO many headphones in the 100 dollar-ish range to sooth my urge for portable quality.

In short, I think you should buy a pair of Sony EX-90s. I'm sure a lot of peole can throw some harsh comments about them, but once modded (about 5 minutes of work all around)...I could really only compare them to 300+ dollar buds. Of course the bass response is amazing (one thing sony seems to do a lot), but it's clarity is un-sony like....very crisp, and very suprising to anti-sony people. It also has a metal housing, and I'll be honest with you...I once lost my headphones- I found them a week later in a parkinglot next to puddles....and they're sticking out of my ears right now. The only other buds I can think of that may go well with your son in a similar price range is the Super.Fi.5eb, but I don't know much about these and maybe someone else could go further in-depth about them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back