Best IEM for Metal music
Dec 30, 2009 at 12:26 AM Post #16 of 25
Being 95% of the music I listen to Metal, I can recommend the Phonak PFE (or the ER4-P, even if I haven't heard the latter) as it will truly rock your head. You just have to give time to your ears and the IEMs, find your most comfortable fit and enjoy. They are truly great for metal.

Dec 30, 2009 at 6:30 AM Post #17 of 25
I recommend you get a pair of UE TF10s. Although they're not that bass-heavy, they can perform very well when you take into account the whole music package. And as someone noted here, UEs (at least the multiple driver universal IEM models) will greatly "unmask" how your music sounds even if it's quite heavy.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 21, 2010 at 11:50 AM Post #18 of 25
You know jai, I was comparing the IE8 to the TF10 last Sunday and I've come to the conclusion the TF10s have very comparable bass to the IE8s. It doesn't quite have the same midbass bump, but they both go down about as deep. The IE8 just naturally sounds bassier because of the mid bump, and because the treble is a little rolled off, whereas the TF10 the treble comes out and becomes the emphasis.

Apr 22, 2010 at 4:58 PM Post #19 of 25
I happen to also like pretty much every band you listed and also have SE530s. I find them to be very detailed. They have separation between instruments and a slightly narrow, though not necessarily congested soundstage. The highs do roll off some, but the bass is solid. It's very tight and accurate, but neither emphasized or rolled off.

I'm very satisfied with them overall but I haven't heard any of the others you listed so I don't have the best points of reference.

Apr 22, 2010 at 7:27 PM Post #20 of 25
I listen to a lot of metal with my W3's and I think they're superb, very comfortable and with great isolation.

I'm trying some IE8's at the moment and whilst they're also very good, they do lack a bit in the treble department for me, but metal still sounds very good indeed.

I used to have some triple.fi's and thought they were great for metal as well and although the bass isn't it's main concern, it was punchy enough and couple with the excellent treble, was most impressive as well. I'm thinking of getting some again.

Apr 22, 2010 at 8:25 PM Post #21 of 25
The W3 or the IE8. The SE530 is great for metal as well but it has rolled of highs. Some people find the highs of the W3 to be sibilant. I used to own the FX500's and the highs were very harsh to my ears.

Jun 5, 2014 at 3:18 PM Post #22 of 25
As for my experience, I listen to bands similar to what you say and far more heavier than yours I would go for my present set-up. triple fi 10, getting them reshell soon though, Cowon S9 and FIIO E11. You can listen from everything like God Dethroned, Dead Bird, Thou Art Lord, to raw as **** like Akitsa, Varathron, and others and enjoy your music very much. I go hours, and when I say hours I'm talking about 8 hours straight listening to them and not feel tired of it just immersed on the music.  Hope that helps

Jun 5, 2014 at 11:44 PM Post #24 of 25
I just want to chime in and un-recommend the TF10. The mids are far too recessed, and the highs are a little too rolled off for many albums to really come alive. I had to EQ mine heavily to really get the best value out of them.
Soundstage and bass are quite good though.

I've got the T-Peos H-300 atm, and they really rock my socks off for the better produced albums, though they can be a little to sharp-sounding without EQ for some tracks, and they are also a little recessed in the mid for some vocal tracks to sound really good.

So that's my two cents. I'm still on the lookout for IEMs that make even the less well produced albums sound good :)

Aug 9, 2014 at 5:07 AM Post #25 of 25
Sorry to resurrect the thread, but I recently picked up the Ostry KC06A, and I just wanted to say that for a budget price (I got mine for $65), they are a great earphone for metal!
Main features are a dynamic, engaging sound, strong bass so you can feel the drum kick, good clarity and sparkle on the highs without being fatiguing, and slightly recessed though quite detailed and uncongested mids.

In my experience only the altone200/H300 could beat them, being clearer and more detailed and aggressive across the spectrum, though also much less forgiving of harsh treble in the mastering of some albums and with somewhat less bass quantity.

But for the price you can't go wrong, and much better fit than the TF10 as well!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back