Best IEM for Extreme Metal (RE0, S4, ER4S, etc.)
Jan 22, 2010 at 10:29 AM Post #16 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by lwells /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you want to hear the separation between the double pedal drumming and the Bass Guitar, I really do not think Etymotics are the way to go; not from my experience.

Do you have a recommendation? There doesn't seem to be a consensus here about what IEM's are best for metal.

Jan 22, 2010 at 10:30 AM Post #17 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by ben4345 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I listen to a lot of metal too. The SF5pro are great despite slightly too colored, uncomfortable and stick out too much IMO. With metal, I think it's timbre in the bass and highs are very important to me. The one instrument that I hear a lot of cans have problems with is the bass guitar.

I used to listen to a lot of hard metal music and I too think that the SF5 Pro are great for that.

Jan 22, 2010 at 2:40 PM Post #18 of 51
I see where the idea that not enough bass is bad comes from, but sometimes that is good because with IEMs that don't have a lot of bass, typically the bass that they do have is excellent and extremely fast. Extremely fast is what is needed ideally for metal. Therefore, I would probably have to concur with the ER-4P idea, or similar.
I don't think there's a newer IEM that people have noticed is outstanding for metal.

Jan 22, 2010 at 2:43 PM Post #19 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by ethan961 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I see where the idea that not enough bass is bad comes from, but sometimes that is good because with IEMs that don't have a lot of bass, typically the bass that they do have is excellent and extremely fast. Extremely fast is what is needed ideally for metal. Therefore, I would probably have to concur with the ER-4P idea, or similar.
I don't think there's a newer IEM that people have noticed is outstanding for metal.

this, just cause it doesnt have a emphasis on bass, doesnt mean its bass isnt outstanding and fast. I always though my er6i's were plenty fast to keep up with even the fastest of double bass rolls.

Jan 22, 2010 at 3:01 PM Post #20 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by theKraken11 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you have a recommendation? There doesn't seem to be a consensus here about what IEM's are best for metal.

What band are you listening too most? I'll pull them up on my zune pass to get an idea of what you need.

Jan 22, 2010 at 3:22 PM Post #21 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by intoflatlines /img/forum/go_quote.gif
SF5 Pro are great for that.

Yea, I recommended these too. They're real punchy! Directly out of the DAP, sometimes I would swear they were amped.
popcorn.gif

Jan 22, 2010 at 4:49 PM Post #22 of 51
I will throw another recommendation in for the Head-Direct RE0. I listen to alot of hardcore and heavy metal on my RE0's and the clarity and detail of the guitar make the listening experience a joy. The vocals (or screaming for me) sound amazing too. The bass is more than enough (the double bass action comes through clear and hard, but it is not over bearing, ) even though many people do not agree. After close to 60 hours on my RE0's, the bass has come out even more, which only adds to their value. I think you will be very happy with the RE0 if you get it.

Best of luck to you on your decision.

Jan 22, 2010 at 4:51 PM Post #23 of 51
The RE0's speed, detail and instrument separation are indeed a good match for metal, but their somewhat lacking low end doesn't do blastbeats good justice IMO. I would recommend the Senn IE8, but that's way over your budget.

Jan 22, 2010 at 5:04 PM Post #24 of 51
I listen to bands like, for example, Gojira, Arcturus, Drudkh, Shining, Watain, Lurker of Chalice, Meshuggah, Wolves in the Throneroom as well as older stuff like Bathory, Windir and old Satyricon and they all sound pretty good coming from my RE0. I believe they DO need a burn-in of at least 100+ hours for them to become actually enjoyable. When I first bought them I was very disappointed, even started a thread about how I hated them, but now they've burned-in I'm starting to appreciate them more and more. They are still a bit bass-light but in metal I found out that I'm more interested in the detail and clarity. In black metal there's hardly any bass anyway...
tongue.gif

Other IEMs you could try:

-Hippo VB
-Fischer Audio Equilibrium/Evolution/maybe even Eterna
-Phonak PFE

If IEM's aren't compulsory I'd definitely get some Grado cans with a nice amp though. Won't cost you an arm and a leg, especially if you look for secondhand equipment and will make your metal sound divine. Or demonic, depending on your preference.
evil_smiley.gif
Good luck!

Jan 22, 2010 at 5:19 PM Post #26 of 51
Absolutely! Grado's are generally fast, bright, forward and when properly amped have great presence and body. I believe the Grado's are REALLY good cans if you listen to rock/metal. Especially the SR225. I love blasting my metal cd's through my dad's amp and 225. I won't be caught saying "the general consensus is..." but if you browse around the forum you will see a lot of similar opinions.

Jan 22, 2010 at 5:28 PM Post #27 of 51
Interesting.... I briefly had some SR80's. How do those compare to the 225's? We must be looking for very different things from our metal. I enjoy hearing the steady rhythm of percussion (from drums and the bassist). And I like hearing a nice 'full' crunch guitar. My SR80's were nice and airy for less intense music, but smooshed everything together when I listened to anything real heavy.

Jan 22, 2010 at 5:42 PM Post #28 of 51
I would say I like hearing the same things you do. Funny eh?
smily_headphones1.gif
I feel Grado offers definite crunch and power. They aren't bassmonsters but when amped provide me with all the bass I'd ever need. I strongly believe walls of bass would cloud my tracks and thus prefer a punchy bass, powerful mids and sparkly highs. I listened to the new(-ish) Gojira album on my friend's Denon 2000 and they immediately felt claustrophobic and wooly compared to the sound I was used to. Then again, I don't have experience with ALL the headphones in the world so I wouldn't dare call Grado the "best" headphone for metal EVER, but they certainly leave me with a smile on my face.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 22, 2010 at 5:49 PM Post #29 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by Negakinu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
but they certainly leave me with a smile on my face.
smily_headphones1.gif

Well that's definately what I want to get out of my music
L3000.gif

Jan 22, 2010 at 6:22 PM Post #30 of 51
Well on my quest for the perfect IEM for power metal. I have not found a good match yet!

I have tried the following....
UM2= to warm and no good highs, sloppy bass
SF 5 Pro= bass to sloppy and not clean enough all around.
JH5 Pro= to laid back, very compressed sound stage, highs are not very clean and rolled off.

On the other hand Grado cans rock!!

I'm looking to try the RE0 out. I hope they are very transparent and fast.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back