Best IEM for classical? Looking for a warm IEM
Jun 10, 2009 at 12:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 45

comuneros

100+ Head-Fier
Hi,

I'm looking for an IEM with a sound similar to my AKG 412P: very noticiable and extended treble, good midrange, very open soundstage, warm, euforic. I prefer a bright but refined sound. I could spend between 200 - 400 Euros. I listening mainly classical (Barroque over all), folk and pop. I don't like dark headphones with a tiny sounstage, my kind of sound is warm, with extended and good presence of treble, refined sound, good (very open) soundstage and warm and detailed midrange. Very important for me: I don't want highs rolled off.

Do you think that IE8 is suittable for me? I'm gonna use a Sony walman (probably with some EQ) as source. Perhaps the EQ can compensate certain lack of treble in the IE8. Or perhaps is preferible the Westone 3? Any other I must consider?

Another option is a high grade Yuin (I know that these are not IEM) but perhaps the sound is more similar to my AKG 412P. What Yuin I must consider for the sound I'm looking for? (pk1, pk2, ok1 u ok2)

As I have already said my souce will be a Sony walman.

Thanks for your help.

Jun 10, 2009 at 2:42 PM Post #3 of 45
sounds like you want the spawn of tf3 with um3x. Not sure IE8 is it though.

CK10? UE4 are also possibilities. The um3x might be a little too smooth, refined and balanced if you want any classical fun.

Jun 10, 2009 at 2:50 PM Post #4 of 45
PM cn11 or soozieq, they've used IE8 with a Sony walkman before.

Jun 10, 2009 at 2:56 PM Post #5 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by music_4321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The UM3X is a fantastic IEM - I listen to 65-70% classical (mostly chamber music) and these IEM's are truly outstanding, wonderful balance along the whole frequency range and, by far, the most comfortable IEM I've ever tried- Haven't heard anything like them except for my custom ES3X. Please read the relevant UM3X thread.

Before getting the UM3X's I had the Westone 3, my second favourite - a bit too much bass and treble for my taste, specially for Rock & Pop music, often causing me listening fatigue, but generally great with Classical, though the mid range is certainly better on the UM3X. And before that I had the Shure SE530 - rolled-off highs, not impressed by the bass, terrible bulky cable & extension and, to me at least, cheap build quality.

Here you can get them from a very reputable eBay seller who will help so you don't have to pay Import Duty/ VAT marking item as gift with low value:
WESTONE UM3X New Sealed Box 100% Positive Feedback on eBay, also Monitors, Monitors Speakers, Pro Audio Stage Effects, Electronics (end time 05-Jul-09 13:01:57 BST)

Are you using these amped?? I'e got 5.5g Imod and Pico amp. Wonder how these would sound for classical--esp. BIG symphonies like Mahler--with IEMs amped

O and another question: both Westone site and Soundearphone's site says these are designed for on-stage musicians. That being the case, are these really meant for us end users for playback purposes? Just a thought.

Jun 10, 2009 at 3:04 PM Post #6 of 45
Customs were designed for on-stage musician use, does that stop anyone from ordering
them and enjoying the sound they play?
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 10, 2009 at 6:22 PM Post #7 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by decay /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Customs were designed for on-stage musician use, does that stop anyone from ordering
them and enjoying the sound they play?
smily_headphones1.gif

no but my question is: are they designed differently for different purposes?? Dont know the answer.

Jun 10, 2009 at 7:55 PM Post #8 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by tnmike1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you using these amped?? I'e got 5.5g Imod and Pico amp. Wonder how these would sound for classical--esp. BIG symphonies like Mahler--with IEMs amped

O and another question: both Westone site and Soundearphone's site says these are designed for on-stage musicians. That being the case, are these really meant for us end users for playback purposes? Just a thought.

I (and others) don't use an amp - I sold my Mustang as I virtually heard NO improvement SQ-wise, or it was so minimal to be practically non-existent. But others have reported hearing a marked improvement.

I listen to mostly chamber music, but I do have Mahler's 9th Symphony (with Karajan & the Berliner Philharmoniker) - this is a very good recording and sounds great on my UM3X's. Some other orchestral music doesn't sound that great.

There are other musicians' custom IEM's (eg ES1, ES2, ES3) where some of the frequencies have been 'altered' in some way and are meant specifically for stage performance or monitoring. The UM3X and ES3X present a very neutral & natural balance along the whole frequency spectrum, and both of these IEM's can be used by musicians or non-musicians. Instrument separation is brilliant and both IEM's are very musical, ei not analytically or clinically 'boring'.

Jun 10, 2009 at 8:57 PM Post #9 of 45
Haven't heard any of the others but an ER4 with a well burned in APS cable is magical for classical

Jun 10, 2009 at 9:24 PM Post #12 of 45
Oh yea, almost miss the line. If you do want warm, I think you can consider IE8, it definitely match your requirement, big soundsatge, high is not roll off after at least 200 burn in. IMO,if you are looking for more shrill at treble, IE8 is better than UM3X, I am notsaying UM3X treble bad. It is very natural, but IE8 just extend further

Jun 10, 2009 at 9:34 PM Post #13 of 45
But is warm necessary or a good thing for classical music???

I only listen to classical music and I personally cannot determine whether I like the HD650, AKG-701, or Sony SA5000 (bright) approach. I must say that the brighter the IEM or headphone I initially like the detail and clarity from classical music, but it just doesn't sound right or seem timbrally accurate after a while.

Westone sound is good, in fact it's great...but sometimes it's too good for my ears and I feel ho-hum about it. at least with UM2s as I haven't had enough headtime with UM3xes as I don't own them yet and borrow them whenever I can find a set.

Jun 10, 2009 at 9:40 PM Post #14 of 45
The APS cable warms the ER4 to a certain degree but they don't turn cuddely/fuzzy warm

Jun 10, 2009 at 10:51 PM Post #15 of 45
My guess on a good choice would be the Klipsch Custom 3's. I haven't personally heard them, but I have the X10's, and the consensus seems to be that the custom 3's are more detailed and warmer, whereas the X10's are more "fun" and bassy. So if I was looking for a classical IEM, the Klipsch Custom 3's would be near the top of my list.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back