Best IEM for Airy and Open Soundstage?
Dec 6, 2008 at 5:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

Dr_Hibbert

Head-Fier
Hi, long-time lurker and first-time poster. In a former life, I spent stupid amounts of money on high-end audio...digital separates, tube amps, Avalon speakers, etc. I even had some of those fat interconnects people love to talk about.

Anyway, I'm now looking for some good IEMs to mate with an iPod Touch 2g (pls, don't hate!), and i'm hoping to recreate at least a bit of the 3D soundstage i used to enjoy *sniff*. Leaving aside customs or DIY mods, which of the currrent IEMs offers the most spacious, detailed, and accurate soundstaging? Big bass is less important than speed and detail. Cost is flexible.

Ready? FIGHT!
popcorn.gif

Dec 6, 2008 at 5:18 PM Post #5 of 30
The Altec Lansing UHP336, which are rebranded Ultimate Ears Super.fi 3 Studio Monitors, have excellent soundstage and SQ imo. Currently they're on sale at a ridiculously good price. For $40, this is great bang for buck. There aren't many reviews on the Altec Lansing UHP336, but if you're interested, find reviews on the UE Super.fi 3 as they use the same sound signature.

Altec Lansing Upgrader UHP336 Stereo Earphone - UHP336 - Buy.com

Of course, there are other IEMS such as the Ultimate Ears Triple.fi 10 and Westone 3, which both have excellent soundstage and SQ. The TF10s sound a bit more 'distant', wheres the W3s sound a bit closer. Excellent IEMs, but you'll be paying $300-$400 dollars.

I would give the Altec Lansing UHP336 a shot. If they cost more than $40, I would still recommend them.

Dec 6, 2008 at 5:30 PM Post #8 of 30
SE530 have a nice soundstage as well. better than triples IMO

Dec 6, 2008 at 5:46 PM Post #9 of 30
I'll never be able to try TripleFi's cause they just won't go into my ears, but as a kindred spirit (who has spent ridiculous amounts of money on my sound system), I can say the Shure Se530s have an amazing soundstage and fat sound. They are the IEM equivalents of my Dynaudio Contour speakers. I'm enjoying them like crazy.

Dec 6, 2008 at 6:03 PM Post #10 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr_Hibbert /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Triple-fi was one that I was strongly considering. Just in terms of imaging and soundstage, does it beat the UM3 and SE530? Does the SA6 belong in this group too? Thx again.

I only have the TF10 and Westone 3, but comparing those--- I honestly can't say which has the better soundstage as I don't know what "should" be the correct soundstage. With the TF10, everything sounds very well placed where you can point to every corner of your room to identify where the guitar, piano, or harp is coming from. For the W3s, everything is a bit closer.

A factor that is affecting my perception of the soundstage is the difference in highs that are being produced. TF10s go up higher... cymbals, harps, sound noticeably more crisp compared to the W3s (which still have excellent highs nonetheless). When it comes to the bass, I like the W3's bass a bit more as it gives a slightly more punch and richness.

I guess, if I had to describe each of these in just one word:

TF10: Crisp
W3: Rich

But that is not to say that the W3 is not crisp, nor that the TF10 is not rich, these are single words that try to encapsulate my personal opinion in their differences.

Dec 6, 2008 at 6:30 PM Post #12 of 30
HOORAN I agree with you. The Altec Lansing UHP336 sound great with a very nice soundstage. I think because they are so inexspensive that they are over looked. I really liked my pl-30 but when I got the Altec Lansing UHP336 I only use the pl-30 for tv-movies now and use the 336 for all my music. The 336 are so very clear with great highs and just enought bass. I couldnt use the pl-30 for my portable radio show that is all voice because of the bass but I can use the 336. The 336 has a super mid range sound. I use the head dieect bi-flange tips with it.

Dec 7, 2008 at 10:26 AM Post #13 of 30
(1) I am still caught in the "high end audio" vortex.....how did you escape??

(2) I agree with other posters, you should at least give the UE Triple.Fi 10 Pro's a listen. I find them to have a pleasant soundstage and sonic signature. Shure 530's sounded good as well, but they were a bit "tubby" with too much bass emphasis for my taste.

(3) By all means, LISTEN to these people when they say that source matters.....if using iPod you absolutely need to use a LOD.....the sonic difference is like night and day.

(4) Happy hunting!!

Dec 7, 2008 at 11:21 AM Post #14 of 30
In consideration of your current rig, TF10 is my recommendation as well. The only IEM I heard with better soundstage is amped Head-Direct RE1. A mod'ed RE0 is pretty close to TF10 soundstage as well. The three of them have the best soundstage I even heard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back