Best IEM for 50-100 dollars?
Jul 31, 2007 at 7:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

elmer42

New Head-Fier
Hello!
I'm pretty new to Head-Fi and I was wondering what would be the best 50-100 dollar IEM to go with a Creative Zen Vision: M. Please note that they will be used mainly in a portable rig. I was thinking maybe the UE Super.Fi 3 Studio, but was wondering what Head-Fi-ers thought. Also, what do you think of the Super.Fi 3's?
It's best that the earphones be closer to fifty dollars than one hundred dollars. Thanks in advance!

Cheers,
Elmer

Jul 31, 2007 at 8:11 PM Post #3 of 16
I'd suggest the x3, Ety er6i, or d-jays, depending on your taste and willingness to spend.

Jul 31, 2007 at 8:15 PM Post #4 of 16
Forgot to mention that I mainly listen to Techno, a bit of Pop, and soft-ish rock. I know, that's not really a good explanation, but a few artists I like are Paul van Dyk, Tiesto, tobyMac, and Relient K. Hope this helps, and thanks for the suggestions! I didn't even know about MylarOne until just now.

Jul 31, 2007 at 8:22 PM Post #5 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by elmer42 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I didn't even know about MylarOne until just now.

It's pretty much considered to be the best dynamic-driver canalphone. The place to get them is jaben.net, where they sell for $57 shipped. I was thinking about getting one, but went for the er6i instead.

Jul 31, 2007 at 10:21 PM Post #6 of 16
super.fi 3's trump the ety er6i by far, stick w/ those on amaxon for 60

Aug 2, 2007 at 5:17 AM Post #8 of 16
Well if bass has any importance to you, I would shy away from the Ultimate Ears Super.Fi 3. While they have very clear mids and highs, I found the lower frequencies underwhelming. The bass is there, but it is not punchy at all. But if clarity is your thing, the UE3's do that very well. If you go with the UE3, check out the FS mod here on headfi

Aug 2, 2007 at 12:35 PM Post #10 of 16
At this price point don't rule out the Goldring GX200. Nice highs and lows.

Aug 3, 2007 at 1:49 AM Post #11 of 16
Have you considered the Sennheiser CX300B? I picked up a pair from Circuit City a couple weeks back for $51. LOTS of bass.
basshead.gif
I use them w/ my ZVM and have to use EQ to turn the bass down.

Giles

Aug 3, 2007 at 1:50 AM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by malushi88 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well if bass has any importance to you, I would shy away from the Ultimate Ears Super.Fi 3. While they have very clear mids and highs, I found the lower frequencies underwhelming. The bass is there, but it is not punchy at all. But if clarity is your thing, the UE3's do that very well. If you go with the UE3, check out the FS mod here on headfi

he's right in some aspect, after burning the UE SP3 studio's in they did give a more full, rich bass response.

Aug 3, 2007 at 2:58 AM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by malushi88 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I feel the same way about my ER6-i's. They are rather underwhelming for techno or other bass-predominated music.

Aug 3, 2007 at 3:50 AM Post #15 of 16
First of all, thanks for all the replies; second, has anybody compared the Creative EP630's with the MylarOne X3's?

Quote:

Originally Posted by giles /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you considered the Sennheiser CX300B?

Well, I own some Creative EP630's, and from what I have heard, they are similar in sound. They're fine, and I tend to use it when going portable, but they leave a little something to be desired. They sound just a bit hollow and lack a bit in the higher mids and in the highs.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
after burning the UE SP3 studio's in they did give a more full, rich bass response.

What kind of music do you tend to listen to, how much greater is the bass response post-burn-in, and about how long did it take you to burn them in?

Keep in mind that most of my observations come from a plain, headphone-out to EP630's, but I may be making a CMoy and a LOD soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back