Best IEM/Earbud + Cable
Jan 20, 2008 at 3:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Mikol1011

Head-Fier
Hey
I'm doing this just for fun, so please don't ridicule me.

I absolutely love the Sony MDR-EX32's size and look.
So my idea is to change the driver within the EX32 with something that also has a 9mm driver, or a microarmature small enough to fit in, which i highly doubt (aside from the Q-Jays, but I'm never gonna tamper with them). And also change the cable so that it's alot sturdier.

I'm thinking about changing the driver inside with a Sennheiser CX500. But I'd like to get other opinions for this too; i prefer a more balanced sound that's not boomy like the CX300's and has good clarity, but not too expensive either (definitely not gonna take apart Atrio M5's). As I said, this is for fun, so I don't wanna blow tons of money for something that may or may not work.

For the cable, I was thinking a symmetrical Y cable, as I'd like to be able to put it over my ears too. I'd like to use something like the Shure cables, but I don't want to waste so much money that I'm going to take apart.
I like the Creative Zen Aurvana cables but they're about 3 inches too short and tend to break afterr 3-4 months of use (I have gone through 3 pairs already, but I have 3 more pairs with me to spare)

So any thoughts on this?

BTW I have 4 pairs of EX32's with me, so I'm not afraid of breaking 1 or 2. But I'd like to know if any1 has experience with taking out the driver from various Sony EX series; more specifically, the 51's, 71's, 81's, and 32's; as the driver is all located in the same area (the seam around the circumference of the earphones). The seal on that area is pretty tight, so I'm afraid that it might break if i actually did try prying that part off.

Oh and don't say "just get the Q-Jays or some other IEM if you like small form factor so much"; for one thing, I am in about 2 weeks, but this is just a small project for me.

Jan 20, 2008 at 3:57 AM Post #2 of 7
i have an idea...for sturdy cables and even good sound...go to a local radio shack and buy a pair of ue sf3's for 50 bucks...that way you could even make them like ue's and have a replaceable cable so that if they break, they're not useless.

Jan 20, 2008 at 8:10 AM Post #3 of 7
I have a pair of SF5's (amongst a handful of other mid to high end IEM's) and I gave my SF3's to my cousin because I'm not fond of the sound signature.

I'm not sure if what you said was supposed to be a "smart" comment, but for one thing, I hate the size of them and would never use UE's on a normal basis, and the driver is too big for EX32's.

As I said, this is just a small project for me out of boredom; I'd rather spend more money on something like this; I have enough earphones in my house.

Jan 20, 2008 at 8:16 AM Post #4 of 7
Oh no, sorry I wasn't trying to be a smart..., I love my SF3's, especially since I just flip modded them and they're very flush looking now. I would be glad to take those SF5's off of your hand, but I have no money...I have ER-6i's...but that's about as small as they go, besides q-JAYS i guess. If you want to go with a sturdy cable though, I would recommend a UE cable...or you can even get a more flexible durable one from Westone's that have the same connection (just a tad longer) as the UE's. Also, seriously, shoot me a pm if you plan to rid of your Super.fi 5's...I'd give up my Ety's to get that bass I yearn for.

Jan 20, 2008 at 8:25 AM Post #5 of 7
Ohh sorry about that.

But I'm talking about conventional cables off of IEMs, that can't be replaced. Replacable ones are hard to configure to fit into such a small hole; what i was thinking was basicalli jus open up the earphones and de-sauder the wires from the driver, and re-sauder on the new driver that's inside the EX32's.
I'll try giving ER-6i's a go, though I'm still not sure if they're small enough; if not, then my best choice is to stick with a 9mm Driver, probably from a CX500

Jan 20, 2008 at 11:46 AM Post #6 of 7
how exactly do u expect to make them better if you are not going to spend money, you keep saying ''im not taking this apart'' or this or this or this. i mean hello talk about a waste of a thread, to get better you have to spend more than you payed on the ex32's so stop wasting our time

Jan 20, 2008 at 7:54 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by jinx20001 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
how exactly do u expect to make them better if you are not going to spend money, you keep saying ''im not taking this apart'' or this or this or this. i mean hello talk about a waste of a thread, to get better you have to spend more than you payed on the ex32's so stop wasting our time

wow harsh...he's trying to take a headphone he likes (as far as structure) and give it a better sound...let him do what he wants...not everyone has the priviledge of having customs and $300+ models like you do, let him do what he pleases.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back