Best IEM companion to the Sennheiser HD598?
Jun 25, 2013 at 3:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Shimakaze

New Head-Fier
I've had a pair of Shure SE115 for several years now, and I no longer find the sound satisfying ever since I got the HD598. I'm a big fan of the sound stage, instrument separation, and general detail of the HD598, which the SE115 lacks in every way. I realize it's hard for an IEM to compete with an open over-the-ear in terms of sound stage, but what's the minimum I need to invest to get similar sound quality? I listen mostly to jazz, classical, and a little bit of everything except hip-hop/r&b/rap. I prefer a more neutral sound signature; something not too bass-heavy. My budget is around $400. Any recommendations would be appreciated :)

Jun 25, 2013 at 11:56 PM Post #2 of 5
The Sony EX1000, RE272, RE600, UM3X and 4Ai are pretty good for neutral soundsignature, details, imaging and balance presentation.

Jun 27, 2013 at 4:22 AM Post #3 of 5
The Sony EX1000, RE272, RE600, UM3X and 4Ai are pretty good for neutral soundsignature, details, imaging and balance presentation.

The hifiman re272 is an excellent earphone, however it has some minor build quality issues. The re600 may be a better option if the company has fixed these issues.

Jun 28, 2013 at 2:18 AM Post #5 of 5
Quote:
How does the Westone 4R compare with the ones mentioned here?

If I recall correctly, the UM3X is warmer sounding and has a more lush mid-range, which is likely why the 4R wasn't suggested. However, really these are only recommendations... when spending this much on a pair of earphones, you should really go to a store and try them out. I'm sure that there must be some sort of audiophile driven store near you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back