Best hybrid tube headphone amp
Dec 6, 2008 at 6:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

krisno

100+ Head-Fier
Hi guys

The X-Can V3 is hard to come by now, the X-can V8 is too laid back(though good separation and spatial presentation)...

What is the best HYBRID tube amp out there?

The Rudistor RP 5.3 tridens might be a candidate but it generates an huge amout of heat, so its not really viable.

What others are there??

Kris

Dec 6, 2008 at 8:22 PM Post #4 of 16
none of those 2 mentioned above is for me.... big or chinese
smily_headphones1.gif

Are there any extremly good DIY complete kits which better than x-can v8?

Strengths of the V3:
- nice looking
- small
-generates little heat
- transparant and not laidback sound

weakness of x-can v3:
- lack of bass
- not top notch separation or spatial presentation

I want all that, but better sounding + preferbly integrated PSU..

Then Rudistor 5.3 matches it all... but it makes too much heat and its very very expensive....

K

Dec 6, 2008 at 9:48 PM Post #6 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by panda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i'm assuming you're on a budget so look for a melos sha-1. the xcan is terrible, same class as a creek obh-11 in my book.

Sorry to read you feel that way! I totally disagree, the X-Can V2 and V3 are very nice amps and w/ the PinkFloyd mods and/or Little Pinky Psis they are superb units. The Melosa is a fine amp but not what is cracked up to be.

Dec 6, 2008 at 11:10 PM Post #7 of 16
How about the Head-Direct EF1? It's been discussed a lot on this forum recently. It's got a good reputation, especially for its price class. Check the threads here on it for reports of headphone synergy.

Dec 7, 2008 at 1:43 AM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnnyLightOn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How about the Head-Direct EF1? It's been discussed a lot on this forum recently. It's got a good reputation, especially for its price class. Check the threads here on it for reports of headphone synergy.

The EF1 is a very nice amp, I happen to prefer my PinkFloyd modded X-Can V2 w/ a Little Pinkie. Plus the EF1 being a current model would be easier to get and have it serviced if needed. Plus no need to tweak, so the non DIYer might prefer it.

Dec 7, 2008 at 6:48 AM Post #12 of 16
I have a xcan v3 as well and like it but not a lot to compare it to except my portables and the lisa lll. I am upgrading to a full tube i heard and liked at the LA meet but keeping the xcan for a computer based system. You can still find them on ebay i believe.

Dec 7, 2008 at 2:57 PM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For Sennheiser : SOHA2
For Grado : Melos Maestro / SHA-Gold

And what is the best hybrid for AKG (e.g K701..) I really want to know

Dec 7, 2008 at 3:41 PM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnnyLightOn /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I think the EF1 sounds great for the money. I have not heard a lot of other hybrids, though. I generally prefer all-tube.

Dec 9, 2008 at 6:08 AM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by aneee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And what is the best hybrid for AKG (e.g K701..) I really want to know

someone help me,the best match hybrid w/ k701 ,i'm too consider now, x-can v8 or v3 w/ PL mod,EF-1 (skylab's review),millet max,LD I+ or...etc...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back