Best Home Speakers Under $200 (each)?
Jan 29, 2012 at 3:08 PM Post #3 of 9
I just need something that would fill up the house with music and not a home theater setup. It would probably be pugged into an airport express (do I need an amp, too? if so, which one?). I don't know anything about this stuff, but I know good sound quality when I hear it.

Jan 29, 2012 at 5:21 PM Post #4 of 9
read this article for a couple of suggestions. both speakers need an amp, cables, and preferably stands, which is all sold separately. if your budget must include everything then powered speakers (come with amp built inside speaker), such as Audionengine, Swans, etc.. could be another option.

Jan 30, 2012 at 4:40 AM Post #5 of 9
Hmm filling a house or a biggish area on a tight budget i would look for used floor standers and a beefy stereo amp Look for somewhat more efficient speakers as well With half decent ones capable of going under 40hz or so, this 2.0 set up would also be ideal w/o forking out more $$ for a sub hehe

Jan 30, 2012 at 11:18 AM Post #7 of 9
If you don't mind a bit of DIY A couple of Voigt Pipes (easy) with Fostex FE1666en 6.5" full range drivers (or another backloaded horn - less easy), and an inexpensive 25 watt receiver should have you all set. 

http://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/approx-6-fullrange/fostex-fe166en-6.5-full-range/

Jan 30, 2012 at 11:21 AM Post #8 of 9
If you have no space for floorstanders then these can fill a room with sound http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000LQ2ABK/ref=s9_bbs_gw_d0_g267_ir01?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=0NME8NVYK2FQHY439ZNR&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938631&pf_rd_i=507846 , there off axis responce is really good or theres the actives, these http://www.amazon.com/Behringer-B1031a-Active-Powered-Monitor/dp/B004RH7IAW/ref=sr_1_1?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1327940443&sr=1-1 also have really good off axis responce so can fill a room with sound easily these are active so no amp required.

Feb 2, 2012 at 2:33 AM Post #9 of 9

Quote:
The highest I'll go is $300. Any suggestions?

As others have suggested, you have to decide whether you want to go the bookshelf route or floorstanders. Floorstanders due to their size would typically give you better bass response but are larger and may not be compatible with the asthetics of your decor.

You will likely need to purchase an amp/receiver  to power your passive speakers unless you opt to go for a powered speakers with a built-in amp which would be suited for near-fielded application (i.e. on you computer desk).

Then you'd have to decide whether you want to buy a new from a current line if you are buying passive speakers which you'd typically find for sale over powered speaker, which gives you the option to purchase a matching center channel and surrounds should you ever want to expand it into a full home theater. A recently discontinued line/model can also be purchased at significant discounts to clear way for the new models.

If you are willing to go "used" with some research you can sometimes find very good value and you could get speakers at a significant discount. Places like craigslist, audiogon and in Canada, Canuck Audio Mart are online places to peruse such speakers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back