Best high impedance iem for unamped use?
May 7, 2009 at 4:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Punnisher

Headphoneus Supremus
Hiss is a big problem when it comes to any portable player, so I'd like some high impedance iems to go along with my players that hiss more than your average player (iriver h320 and h120 come to mind).

The phonaks are good for some players, but for the ipod 5g and iriver players the hiss is very audible.

I don't want to use an impedance adapter. I've been down that road and it simply changes the sound sig too much.

So which one sounds best? RE0 and RE1 come to mind. Are there any others you have experience with?

May 7, 2009 at 8:31 PM Post #4 of 14
Klipsch Image X10- 50 ohms

May 7, 2009 at 9:20 PM Post #6 of 14
Thanks. I'll have to check the sensitivity on some of these that are ~50 ohms. It's essential that no hiss is audible.

The PK1 and OK1 are a possibility, but when I had the pk3's I never used them due to the lack of isolation. I listen to music in very noisy places sometimes.

May 7, 2009 at 11:50 PM Post #10 of 14
I found something interesting...

Using the black filters for the phonaks blocks the hiss almost entirely. Plus I like their sound sig more anyway.

The UM3x looks fantastic, but the sensitivity is so high I think there would still be hiss. I would need confirmation from someone with those iems and an iriver first, lol.

May 8, 2009 at 5:24 AM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zalithian /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The UM3X are high sensitivity but I never noticed any hiss with them on my A818 or D2.

Yes, I think UM3X are probably the OPs best bet then. If they sound more accurate than Westone 3s, then they are better than Sleek SA6 and Q-jays for SQ.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back