Best high end headphones that don't need much amping?
Dec 11, 2011 at 2:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Alexei1337

New Head-Fier
I'm looking for some high end headphones UNDER £400 that would not require that expensive high end amping. I was thinking about a portable headphone amp to go with it, but under £400. Also, preferably bassy :wink:
Cheers,
Alexei

Dec 11, 2011 at 3:17 PM Post #2 of 11
Ultrasone pro 900 without a doubt.

Oh they'll give you bass alright.

Have a look on ebay, guy on there sells em cheap all the time, tis where i got mine.

Dec 11, 2011 at 3:30 PM Post #3 of 11

Quote:
Ultrasone pro 900 without a doubt.

Oh they'll give you bass alright.

Have a look on ebay, guy on there sells em cheap all the time, tis where i got mine.

I'm thinking about picking up a pair of these. Mainly for home use, but you think they'd work just fine with an iPod as well?

Dec 11, 2011 at 3:38 PM Post #5 of 11
Denon AH-D2000

Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80-Ohm, will work decently without a headphone amplifier,
but a headphone amplifier brings out it's best.

Dec 11, 2011 at 3:53 PM Post #6 of 11
I was thinking about getting the £180 Graham slee voyager portable headphone amp . So that leave £220 for a good headphone. Would the ultasones be a good combo with this amp? Or could you recommend something better,
Cheers

Dec 11, 2011 at 4:16 PM Post #8 of 11
Delete

Dec 11, 2011 at 4:50 PM Post #10 of 11

Quote:
Malveaux you are very certain about the denons
wink.gif
but how would they compare to the ultasones?

I have them too.

The D5000 was easily the upgrade path to move up from the PRO900 to something that had a better overall render of sound. I went from PRO900 to D2000. It was an upgrade as far as I'm concerned. And then to the D5000. And that was the end point for closed-headphones. All the sub-bass you could want. All the warmth. Solid flat mids. Good slightly sparkly treble. Super comfortable. Woodback. Great cable. Easy to drive. The PRO900 is bassy, but it's terrible for anything but bassy stuff (it's mids are recessed in comparison to its bass/treble, it's a huge V shaped frequency response headphone; and the treble was very hot and tiring). The D5000 has all that sub-bass, does what you need for bassy stuff, but can turn around and do a quiet acoustic session without injecting overloaded bass into it. It's an excellent bass lovers closed headphone that can cover all genres, and not just some.

So yea, certain enough to have bought all these just to be able to know from experience. As I love me some bass. But I also like good mids & nice treble. And the Ultrasone... well, not it.

Very best,

Dec 11, 2011 at 5:07 PM Post #11 of 11
Thanks a lot for all of your answers everyone :) But I'll have to go with the denons d5000 as I have researched them as well, and they are very highly respected :) I also love closed back headphones :) So they would be greatwith the graham slim voyager portable headphone amp :) Thanks again everyone,
Alexei

Users who are viewing this thread

Back