Best High End can for rock....
Sep 1, 2010 at 4:37 AM Post #4 of 22

Quote:
How is the SA5000 for rock?

I find the SA5000 too bright for rock, I don't tend to like a bright rock sound.  SA5000 seem best suited to chamber music and some electronic music.  I have a feeling it would be excellent for video games.

Sep 1, 2010 at 6:09 AM Post #7 of 22

Quote:
You need to start exploring stats David

Absolutely, one day when my Dynamic-quest is complete

The thing about Dynamics is that you can have one amp which can power an endless array of good headphones....with Stats you are extremely limited and generally there's really only 3 or 4 Stat headphones which are considered to be in the same league all of which are either Stax or Sennheiser.....but I'll get there, a few years.

I'm currently in love with my 307a amp and I just want to finish my collection of dynamics first:)

Sep 1, 2010 at 7:09 AM Post #8 of 22
I'd recommend the RS1 for rock only to people with hearing loss. Otherwise you choose between more comfort (D7000) and better resolution and complexity of both sounds and imaging (PS1000). The bass quality and extension of the D7000 is overrated, BTW. However, choosing from between the three: Grado PS1000, if not: Denon AH-D7000. I'd take the RS2 for rock over the RS1 any day as the higher midrange presentation of the RS1 is sometimes fatiguing for my ears.

Sep 1, 2010 at 7:17 AM Post #9 of 22
The RS1i's mate,been there done that.

There will be no looking forward to another pair for Rock.All the crap about higher mid-range and all is lets just say, crap.

nothing like listening to a nice rock song at some decent volume level with a Grado RS1i.

Sep 1, 2010 at 12:39 PM Post #11 of 22
My vote would be for the PS1000 and L3000. Honorable mention goes to the DX1000 and Ed9. Disclaimer - I have not heard many of the more recently released phones - Ed8, T1 and LCD2 (but apparently I should be receiving the LCD2 soon). Also, for my tastes dynamic phones have more impact than stats and are better suited for rock. There are many who would disagree and I have been tempted to purchase the Stax 4070 for my bedroom rig but the price of the phone in addition to another amp as well as attempting to explain to my spouse why I need not one but two amplifiers in the bedroom
dt880smile.png
 has held me back.

Sep 1, 2010 at 12:42 PM Post #12 of 22
RS1
Fair enough I have not heard the two other candidates, but the RS1 does a pretty good job with rock music.

Sep 1, 2010 at 1:16 PM Post #13 of 22
Quote:
I find the SA5000 too bright for rock, I don't tend to like a bright rock sound.  SA5000 seem best suited to chamber music and some electronic music.  I have a feeling it would be excellent for video games.

Aha.  I was going to recommend the RS-1 as a rock can for you.  However, it is slightly bright and reminds me a bit of the SA5000.

Have you considered the HF-2?  It has enough of the Grado goodness to rock out, but is more laid back and doesn't have the piercing top end.  The HF-2 might be a good fit for you, and I think they're still for sale, too.

Sep 1, 2010 at 1:28 PM Post #14 of 22

Quote:
My vote would be for the PS1000 and L3000. Honorable mention goes to the DX1000 and Ed9. Disclaimer - I have not heard many of the more recently released phones - Ed8, T1 and LCD2 (but apparently I should be receiving the LCD2 soon). Also, for my tastes dynamic phones have more impact than stats and are better suited for rock. There are many who would disagree and I have been tempted to purchase the Stax 4070 for my bedroom rig but the price of the phone in addition to another amp as well as attempting to explain to my spouse why I need not one but two amplifiers in the bedroom
dt880smile.png
 has held me back.

I am a stat man myself but accept that stats are not always satisfactory with rock because so many rock recordings are poorly produced by being excessively equalized with excess treble and limited dynamics.  You will probably not go too far wrong with such recordings with a bass-heavy dynamic even though such phones may sound like crap on more balanced recordings.  The bass boost will mask the treble emphasis and create a pleasing but false sense of bass dynamics.

The stats being more revealing tend to show these defects. Any phone stat or dynamic that is bright will probably sound shrill with such recordings.  Some stats that will work well even with such crappy recordings include the Stax  Sigmas, and inexpensive 003's.  The 007 can be pretty good but is expensive and picky about amps.  Those that I would not recommend are the old SRXIII (too little bass) although the SR5 of comparable vintage may be better.   I did not like my various Lambdas (LNS, 404 and Nova) in this role but with the back foam removed I find them acceptable.

On the other hand   if you do haqve some well-recorded rock, (I think Pink Floyd's Wall) high definition stats will give  a stunning experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back