Best Headset for PC Gaming
Jun 12, 2008 at 6:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Eirana

New Head-Fier
First I apologize if this is not the appropriate forum for this topic. It seemed to make the most sense from those available.

I am looking for the best headset for gaming. Price is really not an issue (unless you're talking thousands). I need the headsets to be wired and want to plug them into the soundcard jack (they need a mic of course). So far my research has led me to these to items:

Sennheiser PC 350
AKG HSD 271

I am currently using Turtle Beach Ear Force HPA2, but I don't find them comfortable for long hours (or even minutes) of gaming. I can't seem to find a local dealer for either of the two listed above (I live in LA) so I'd very much appreciate any suggestions. Recommendations do not have to be limited to these two headsets as I'm sure there are other very nice ones out there as well. Thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide.

Eirana

Jun 12, 2008 at 8:24 PM Post #3 of 17
E.D.G.E. Gx400

Jun 13, 2008 at 9:46 AM Post #4 of 17
if you want a balance, i would recommend the beyer MMX1

Jun 15, 2008 at 11:30 PM Post #5 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by feh1325 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
getting a clip-on mic really opens up your options

Definitely this. Use real headphones with a clip on mic.

There's no reason to look for an all-in one headset.

Jun 15, 2008 at 11:33 PM Post #6 of 17
I have the Beyerdynamics, they sound great for music and gaming. It shouldnt be easy to get a clip mic on it too.
Above all they are extremely comfortable and can be purchased for around 150, which is how much i paid.

Jun 16, 2008 at 1:40 AM Post #8 of 17
I would suggest not using a headset combo. I've tried many and have come to the conclusion it's really not worth it.

I use BeyerDynamics DT770 Pro80, and a simple labtec microphone that sits on the desk. Combination works very well. I play a lot of Counter strike source, and the Beyers can sustain multi-hour sessions without discomfort at all. The DT770 Pro80's are about 150-200 mail order/ebay and the labtec mic was about $10 from almost any computer retailer (i bought my labtec mic from frys)

Hope this helps,
Eddie

Jun 16, 2008 at 2:34 AM Post #9 of 17
in most cases i think headset combos are so-so at best, but the good senn gaming headset is a good choice

Newegg.com - SENNHEISER PC156 USB 3.5mm/ USB Circumaural Headset

super light and comfy, the mic stays near your mouth so you can use voice activated in game comms, i get spatial noises (footsteps behind me, to the right, etc) and they stay comfy for hours of gaming.

have put in many hours of BF 2142 and World in Conflict with these puppies. best headset ive sued.

Jun 16, 2008 at 5:27 AM Post #10 of 17
oh man. what happened to the good days of senn pc150 headset for <=$40 shipped. No fancy lil usb unit, but got the job done. Seems like they jacked up their prices soon after figuring out the gamer market is there.

Jun 16, 2008 at 7:19 AM Post #11 of 17
Gaming headphones are always overpriced coz the gamers are buying it anyway.

Jun 16, 2008 at 1:14 PM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by LostOne.TR /img/forum/go_quote.gif
oh man. what happened to the good days of senn pc150 headset for <=$40 shipped. No fancy lil usb unit, but got the job done. Seems like they jacked up their prices soon after figuring out the gamer market is there.

they still have the pc 151 for 40 bucks
cool.gif

Jun 18, 2008 at 6:19 AM Post #13 of 17
Thanks a lot for all the responses. I will look at some options and then decide what to do. I do like the idea of a mic right by my mouth so I'm leaning the Sennheiser PC 350 way, but I'll see.

Jun 18, 2008 at 7:31 AM Post #14 of 17
I own the PC350's, and I'm fairly happy with them. They don't sound as good as the HD595's, even though they supposedly use the same driver. I suspect the fact that they're sealed headphones is the primary culprit, and having a mic attached probably doesn't help any, either.

One thing I do want to point out: The PC350's are fairly high-impedance headphones (150 Ohms, vs the HD595's at 50 Ohms), which means they benefit A LOT from amping. I was actually pretty disappointed with the PC350's sound when I had them plugged into my X-Fi card, because they sounded flabby, muddy, and had no soundstage to them at all. I was suffering from a bit of buyer's remorse there for a bit.

However, running them through my Total BitHead amp made a very noticeable difference. They still don't have the same detail and openness of the HD595's, and their frequency response isn't as linear (they seem to have a noticeable dip in the mids, with more emphasis on the highs, and boomier bass), though note that the BitHead is the only amp I have to test them with, so I couldn't tell you how much they might improve on a higher-quality amp. Compared to running them un-amped, though, they gained a lot of detail and the soundstage opened up quite a bit. I still default to my HD595's no question when I'm listening to music, but I'm pretty happy with my PC350's for gaming, as long as they're amped.

I honestly don't think they're worth it if you aren't going to amp them, though. If you're just plugging them straight into your sound card, you could likely get something that's just as good for less money. I really have to question why Sennheiser would make a gaming headset that's so hard to drive properly, because it seems to me that most gamers aren't likely to buy an amp to go with their headset.

As far as comfort goes, they're not as comfortable as the HD595's which practically disappear after you put them on, because the PC350's clamp harder onto your head (I assume this is so they can achieve a better seal), but they're still comfortable and I can wear them for many hours at a time no problem (compared to ANY smaller headphone that rests on your ears, which I can't wear for more than 30 minutes before the pain starts). They can get kind of warm after awhile, though, so I occasionally have to take them off for a minute to let my ears cool off, but then they're good to go for another hour or two.

Jun 18, 2008 at 9:51 AM Post #15 of 17
I haven't tried it myself, but I recon it will be hard to better the Beyerdynamic MMX 300 for gaming.

261d8893ec.jpg

It retails at €299 (about $460).
beyerdynamic Shop*-*MMX 300

However, it's possible to better it. :wink:
Again from Beyer, the Headzone Game:

headzone_game_set_p1.jpg

Pretty much the ultimate gaming rig.

The price might be a slight problem for some, though.
It retails at €1990 (about $3000)!

But you don't have to worry about amping it correctly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back