Best Headphones?
May 18, 2009 at 8:57 AM Post #16 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Harlin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Electrostats have weakness in low-register...
The punch of lamb-skin drum won't shake your ear, unlike HD600...

It is evidently in track Sarah (Rim Banna - The Mirror Of My Soul)...
With electrostats, the bass quantity is just insufficient to truly admire the opening...

I respectfully disagree with your analysis.

May 18, 2009 at 9:03 AM Post #17 of 28
I'm sorry if I'm too soon to reach that conclusion...
I've only heard K340, STAX bottom-range, baby STAX and K1000.

A friend of mine also have Martin Logan electrostatic speakers that is using an internal subwoofer...

May 18, 2009 at 9:18 AM Post #18 of 28
The K340 isn't electrostatic. I wasn't keen on my K340 overall.
The babystax has great bass but fit/comfort is a big issue for some users. I've owned both the SR-001 and the SR-001Mk.2 and didn't have these issues.
Not sure which model is your bottom Stax, if its the electret models, then they're recognised as not being as good as the "proper" Stax models.
I find the K1000 to be light in the bass but with good bass nevertheless. Maybe it gets better with an uber amp.

As for the Martin Logan hybrid models, I'm of the opinion that slapping a dynamic woofer onto an electrostatic speaker is done, to use a charitable term, as a "design compromise" because the electrostatic panel itself is of insufficient design to do the full range itself, even though that technology has been around for more than 50 years.

May 18, 2009 at 9:25 AM Post #19 of 28
In response to the OP. I consider the SR-007 to be the best of the headphones with which I have experience. It's a step ahead of the rabble who jostle for second place (K1000 et al).

May 18, 2009 at 10:00 AM Post #20 of 28
Quote:

With electrostats, the bass quantity is just insufficient to truly admire the opening...

I believe the bottom stax you refer to is lambda kind, isn't it?
in my opinion stax lambda pro isn't weak in bass compared to HD600,
perhaps it is because its hollow mid that make it sounds lack of body

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In response to the OP. I consider the SR-007 to be the best of the headphones with which I have experience. It's a step ahead of the rabble who jostle for second place (K1000 et al).

might be a trivial question but care to give comparison for k1000 vs sr-007 mate?

May 18, 2009 at 10:26 AM Post #21 of 28
The K1000 weighs less and isn't as pretty.

wink.gif

If I have the free time this summer, I'd love to write up a proper comparitive review.

May 18, 2009 at 1:17 PM Post #22 of 28
The big problem of Stax electrostatics is not the linearity but the compressed dynamic range. The classical music suffers most from this. You just need a powerful $$$$ amp.

May 18, 2009 at 8:49 PM Post #23 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by El_Doug /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Qualia 010 might fit the bill, considering the amount of trance and digital piano

Where can I buy those? Qualia 010. They look much better compared to the stax or k1000.

STAX don't look too appealing. I am sure they sound good, and I can not comment until I have listened to them, but looks also do matter. I mean if one just needed the worlds best headphones, then just take auditorium speakers and put the besides your ears and blow your ears out. Game Over haha.

But seriously looking into Qualia, anyone wants to sell them?

May 18, 2009 at 10:54 PM Post #24 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by CodeScripted /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Where can I buy those? Qualia 010. They look much better compared to the stax or k1000.

STAX don't look too appealing. I am sure they sound good, and I can not comment until I have listened to them, but looks also do matter. I mean if one just needed the worlds best headphones, then just take auditorium speakers and put the besides your ears and blow your ears out. Game Over haha.

For dynamics, the Q10 sounds like stats from what I heard.. Speed, clarity, detail, & sound stage. Fit is a issue with the Q10.. They come in small, medium, & large.. You might be able to grab a pair for 2,500.. They sold for 3,700 in 04. Retail.

May 19, 2009 at 12:09 AM Post #25 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by moonboy403 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I hope the OP knows "price isn't an issue" can translates to 4 figures headphone.

Given that the OP mentioned that he was going to get a pair of HD800's but stopped due to the huge wait times, it's safe to assume that he is already aware of (and willing to spend) >1000 dollars for the pair.

May 19, 2009 at 12:27 AM Post #26 of 28
Quote:

I'm not sure what 'stats you've been listening to, and I know some models have this reputation, but I promise that this is not true of all 'stats. There are no weaknesses in bass, or mids or treble for that matter, with an O2MK1/KGBH SE.

OP, have you considered the whole system when choosing a headphone? Since you are looking at reference quality headphones, do you already have a quality source and amplifier, or will you be planning to purchase those now and/or later? If price isn't an issue, you can build an amazing system around any of the headphones mentioned. Even if it is, you can build a great sounding rig with the headphone of your choice, but you need to plan for all the components.

May 19, 2009 at 12:38 AM Post #27 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomana /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not sure what 'stats you've been listening to, and I know some models have this reputation, but I promise that this is not true of all 'stats. There are no weaknesses in bass, or mids or treble for that matter, with an O2MK1/KGBH SE.

OP, have you considered the whole system when choosing a headphone? Since you are looking at reference quality headphones, do you already have a quality source and amplifier, or will you be planning to purchase those now and/or later? If price isn't an issue, you can build an amazing system around any of the headphones mentioned. Even if it is, you can build a great sounding rig with the headphone of your choice, but you need to plan for all the components.

a 10,000 rig is a small price to pay for a pristine headphone set up, if money isn't a issue.. Balanced too, if going the dynamic right.

May 19, 2009 at 12:48 AM Post #28 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by CodeScripted /img/forum/go_quote.gif

eek.gif
What ?!?!?!

Its as easy as that ???
2 posts and " awwwww.... i'll take Qualia , nyone wanna sell em??"
Dude i wish i could do that !!!
redface.gif
geez !
Seriously, i'll dream with you a bit , if i could get any kind of system i want just once, im pretty sure i'd get a STAX SR-007MK2 kit.I have a feeling i'd get addict to such quality even if i didn't even hear it yet.
Anyway... If you're serious about getting some Q10 and no one are selling and you can't wait..... you could check this out.

QUALIA

Please help yourself !!!
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back