Best Headphones Without AMP
Jun 11, 2010 at 2:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

Crazy*Carl

500+ Head-Fier
I want to know what the head-fi community thinks the best headphones are for use without dedicated amplification (i.e. out of an ipod or a PC's onboard sound).   I am attaching a very broad poll, but feel free to add other suggestions. Headphones under $400 please.

Jun 11, 2010 at 2:15 PM Post #2 of 33
Something along the lines of the M50, ES7, and other relatively easy to drive headphones. XB700 as well, if you like powerful bass.

Jun 11, 2010 at 2:38 PM Post #5 of 33

Quote:
I want to know what the head-fi community thinks the best headphones are for use without dedicated amplification (i.e. out of an ipod or a PC's onboard sound).   I am attaching a very broad poll, but feel free to add other suggestions. Headphones under $400 please.

Your poll is not nearly broad enough.  You left out all of the Grados, even though Grados have an impedence of only 32 ohms and are famously easy to run right off an iPod.  Because of the short ear/driver distance created by the comfy pads, the SR60s have plenty of bass to go with their lush mids.  Where they fall short is in their roll-off highs (due to the comfy pads), which can be fixed by using bowls.  The Grado SR225 is considered one of the best rock headphones out there, and it can be enjoyed right off an iPod.  The SR325 is one of my favorites, though some consider it too sharp, in large part because of the aluminum and bowl-pad match-up.  If you swap the bowls for flats, the 325 will amaze you.

All of my early Grados - the iGrado, the SR60, the SR80, the SR325 and the RS-1 - were enjoyed straight off my iPod.  It wasn't until I purchased GS1000 that I went in search of an amp.  That's because, with the jumbo pads, the ear/driver distance is so extended that the GS1000 can sound unnecessarily polite without an amp to bring up the bass.  Even then, the GS1000 is noted for its bass (though its recessed mids are betters suited for symphonic material).  

My SR225 has both sparkle and punch - without an amp.  My HF2 has more of that punch - without an amp.  My PS1000 - without any amp - sounds amped.  It's the only headphone I've ever had where I could find myself wondering, if only for a moment, whether I plugged it into an amp.  (With an amp, it makes the unamped presentation sound like a lesser headphone.  While Grados run fine without an amp, they sing when amped properly.)

You omitted Grados but you included the K701 and the HD650?  What were you thinking?  Without a good amp, the K701 has such underwhelming bass that many complain of it as being "hollow" and "harsh" (something nobody says when the cans are properly amped).  Without a good amp, the HD650 has a "veil."  It needs power to bring out the HF.

Jun 11, 2010 at 2:47 PM Post #6 of 33
I left Grados out on purpose because I would never consider an on ear headphone.

Also, have you heard the K701 with its "underwhelming bass"? Or are you just using other peoples opinions.

This is my poll and I made it this way on purpose.

Jun 11, 2010 at 2:47 PM Post #7 of 33
yeah.  i'd say all the SR series grados.
even RS2 and RS1.

and then some audio technicas.  M50, AD700, ESW9, etc.

all terrific even off a portable device...

Jun 11, 2010 at 3:15 PM Post #8 of 33

Quote:
I left Grados out on purpose because I would never consider an on ear headphone.

Also, have you heard the K701 with its "underwhelming bass"? Or are you just using other peoples opinions.

I have the K701, and while I'm not a huge AMP-endorsing person, they could use at LEAST the Fiio E5 to make them enjoyable. I quite like them with just the pitiful E5. Without any , the K701 sounds...like it's dying.

Jun 11, 2010 at 4:57 PM Post #9 of 33
Quote:

The problem I see with your poll is that people will just choose the headphones they have and so it turns into a popularity contest you can't get anything useful out of.

- The newer members to the forum post a 'what headphone' and the most popular headphones are suggested. The new member decides to buy a D2000 because it looks really nice, he's heard no other half-decent headphone so when he receives it and plugs it in his computer it sounds great! Then days, weeks, months later you get this same new member who responds to other new members 'what headphone' threads suggesting the headphone he owns and so you get this echo effect of new members owning the same headphones and in most cases they are un-amped/under-amped.

Every headphone I've heard/owned has improved from a good full-size amp, yet so many people are content with there portable amps, computer sound cards and even those little plastic Fiios because they just haven't heard a good setup. I sound really snobbish but I'd like to point out my headphone setup costs under $400, if you have that much to play with you can get a killer setup without skimping on anything.

Jun 11, 2010 at 5:44 PM Post #10 of 33

Quote:

1. Grado doesn't just make on-ear cans.  The GS1000 and the PS1000 are both circumaural.  

2. You asked what cans sound best un-amped and I've told you my favorite is the PS1000.  It sounds amped even unamped.

3. You have no reason to insinuate that I've never heard the K701.  In fact, I owned one and loved it for a variety of reasons (comfort, style, great soundstage, nice detail and controlled, even low-driving bass) despite its shortcomings in the bass department.  The way you write my comment - "underwhelming bass" - in quotes, it's as if you find the comment objectionable.  Have YOU heard the K701?  I'm sure you know its impedance is nearly twice that of the Grados.  You should also be aware that the K701 is not designed to be run unamped, so before you start insinuating someone else's "ignorance," perhaps you should go back and do your homework.

I don't think you're even benefiting from "other people's opinions."  

But hey, to each his own.  I hope you find what you're looking for.  It's Friday and I'd love to argue over nothing but I've got a date.  Be good.

Jun 11, 2010 at 6:26 PM Post #11 of 33

Quote:

1. Grado doesn't just make on-ear cans.  The GS1000 and the PS1000 are both circumaural.  

2. You asked what cans sound best un-amped and I've told you my favorite is the PS1000.  It sounds amped even unamped.

3. You have no reason to insinuate that I've never heard the K701.  In fact, I owned one and loved it for a variety of reasons (comfort, style, great soundstage, nice detail and controlled, even low-driving bass) despite its shortcomings in the bass department.  The way you write my comment - "underwhelming bass" - in quotes, it's as if you find the comment objectionable.  Have YOU heard the K701?  I'm sure you know its impedance is nearly twice that of the Grados.  You should also be aware that the K701 is not designed to be run unamped, so before you start insinuating someone else's "ignorance," perhaps you should go back and do your homework.

I don't think you're even benefiting from "other people's opinions."  

But hey, to each his own.  I hope you find what you're looking for.  It's Friday and I'd love to argue over nothing but I've got a date.  Be good.

My Sennheiser HD580s 300 ohm improve none with dedicated amp.

Jun 11, 2010 at 6:39 PM Post #12 of 33
Quote:

Re your previous comment don't get mad at the forum because it isn't working how you want it too... are you really expecting someone to come along who has heard Sennheiser HD555, HD595, HD600, HD650, Ultrasone HFI-780, HFI-2400 and PRO-750, AKG K701, Denon D2000, Audio Technica AD700, Sony MDR-V6 and V7506, coincidentally doesn't believe in amping and the best one is...

The 580 improves a lot with a good amp...

Jun 11, 2010 at 7:05 PM Post #13 of 33

Quote:

Are you just using on-board sound with them? What amp do you have?

I wouldnt listen to most of the headphones you have in your poll without an amp. Anyway, of those I've heard its always been out of a dedicated amp so I'll refrain from voting.

Jun 11, 2010 at 7:06 PM Post #14 of 33
The MS-Pro (RS-1 equivalent) sounds decent out of an iPod, but at that standard you'd be wanting a dedicated desktop amp. IMO, the best headphone I've heard straight from an unamped source is the AD900 and that's as far as I'd go without getting an amp.

Jun 11, 2010 at 7:24 PM Post #15 of 33
Quote:
The MS-Pro (RS-1 equivalent) sounds decent out of an iPod, but at that standard you'd be wanting a dedicated desktop amp. IMO, the best headphone I've heard straight from an unamped source is the AD900 and that's as far as I'd go without getting an amp.

I've tried my HF-2 without an amp... but in the end I think I preferred my ES7 unamped.

For $400 I'd be tempted to save a bit more and lurk the FS forum for something like the  hd600/650 and an amp that can run them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back